Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Keeping The Party Cool! Mishimoto's Fiesta ST Radiator R&D!

I got my shipping notice around the same time. I also ordered within minutes of the presale going live. My delivery is scheduled for Monday.

I am slightly surprised and disappointed that so far there is no installation video.

Please let us know when there are instructions.

Mine also came in today. I didn't check my email or this forum and didn't expect the package. Pretty awesome surprise lol

Thanks guys. We are on track to have all components in our warehouse by 3/28 for final packaging. I imagine we will have our pre-sale orders shipped out by the end of next week.

-John
Any plans to release an install video soon John? I kinda wanna know what I'm getting myself into before I blindly install it this week. The video aid would help 1000%

Thanks.

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #206
Just got notification of shipment! Thanks, John and all at Mishimoto. Looking forward to get this, the oil cooler, and my little pile of other odds-and-ends implemented -- and the car track prepped for a few upcoming events. AND THEN: Seeing how it all plays together in my 20 minute sessions. Hah. Keeping fingers crossed this will be enough to prevent me from limping back to the paddock overheated. Not something I've experienced in my prior car and not something I want to experience in this one.

Woohoo!
I got my radiator today! Thanks [MENTION=1848]mishimoto[/MENTION]
I got my shipping notice around the same time. I also ordered within minutes of the presale going live. My delivery is scheduled for Monday.

I am slightly surprised and disappointed that so far there is no installation video.

Please let us know when there are instructions.
Mine also came in today. I didn't check my email or this forum and didn't expect the package. Pretty awesome surprise lol
Excellent guys! Our warehouse team was able to package these up much quicker than expected. Definitely looking forward to everyone's feedback as these kits begin to arrive.

Thanks again for the orders!

Any plans to release an install video soon John? I kinda wanna know what I'm getting myself into before I blindly install it this week. The video aid would help 1000%

Thanks.
Absolutely. Our video team has been working diligently to finalize this video. It is a bit of an extensive installation, which explains the delay. We should have a guide by tomorrow at the latest.

Thanks
-John

meFiSTo

Excellent guys! Our warehouse team was able to package these up much quicker than expected. Definitely looking forward to everyone's feedback as these kits begin to arrive.

Absolutely. Our video team has been working diligently to finalize this video. It is a bit of an extensive installation, which explains the delay. We should have a guide by tomorrow at the latest.

Thanks
-John
Mine just landed! Woohoo. Patiently awaiting video instructions. Mine does not go in until 4/11, so I have a little time.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I'm interested in the positives bs negatives of running that $60 thermostat you guys are now offering. Interested in testing/results with and without the stock rad.

If it was the normal cost of a thermostat, I'd do it. I'm going to be pretty deep into my engine here soon, so install won't be an issue, but I'm thinking we cook all the coolant, not just some of it, so opening the Thermostat earlier may not have much effect on over all cooling. I admit... It SHOULD have an effect on cars like mine that typically do drag race style pulls, since the coolant should naturally be cooler to start with. After 3-7 pulls, all the water is prob cooking anyway and the thermostat prob isn't helping/hurting.

I'm no thermostat engineer or designer, so... I'd just like to say I'm open for your input :)

It would also make a great mod for guys with the radiator coming, as so I think they maybe interested as well.

Thanks
-John
Just installed mine. Install was not bad at all. I was able to manage it without taking off the front crash beam. The stock radiator was stuck to the AC Condenser, it took a lot of wiggling to get it out. I can't comment on the performance just yet, but after a 3rd gear WOT my coolant didn't go over 188 and oil did not go over 166. This was during a 68°F day and with your Oil Cooler installed. Will post results after my track day 4/11

I'm interested in the positives bs negatives of running that $60 thermostat you guys are now offering. Interested in testing/results with and without the stock rad.

If it was the normal cost of a thermostat, I'd do it. I'm going to be pretty deep into my engine here soon, so install won't be an issue, but I'm thinking we cook all the coolant, not just some of it, so opening the Thermostat earlier may not have much effect on over all cooling. I admit... It SHOULD have an effect on cars like mine that typically do drag race style pulls, since the coolant should naturally be cooler to start with. After 3-7 pulls, all the water is prob cooking anyway and the thermostat prob isn't helping/hurting.

I'm no thermostat engineer or designer, so... I'd just like to say I'm open for your input :)

It would also make a great mod for guys with the radiator coming, as so I think they maybe interested as well.
I ordered it, just because I figured I'd be in there. Honestly it's a thermostats that will just open sooner, so for racing it will allow coolant in and cool the engine sooner.(I know everyone knows this) like you said it won't really hurtt/help after we start overheating, but it will give us a little while longer before we do. (Unless you upgrade rad) The only negative this causes with any car that you daily drive with a thermostats that opens sooner is mpgs drop slightly.

Is it worth it. Idk lol

I wish the thermostat was 180° instead of 160°.

I wonder if they made it like that as a crutch for a stock radiator?

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #212
Mine just landed! Woohoo. Patiently awaiting video instructions. Mine does not go in until 4/11, so I have a little time.
Awesome, great to hear! Sorry for the delay with the video, it was a lengthy one and took quite some time to upload and finalize. Check it out below!

[video=youtube;fGks9I-OsiA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGks9I-OsiA[/video]

I ordered it, just because I figured I'd be in there. Honestly it's a thermostats that will just open sooner, so for racing it will allow coolant in and cool the engine sooner.(I know everyone knows this) like you said it won't really hurtt/help after we start overheating, but it will give us a little while longer before we do. (Unless you upgrade rad) The only negative this causes with any car that you daily drive with a thermostats that opens sooner is mpgs drop slightly.
Is it worth it. Idk lol
Thanks guys! Yes, we also offer the low temperature thermostat for the Fiesta. We are essentially flushing out our cooling system product line for the FIST in order to provide the best possible cooling performance for those that are struggling with overheating issues.

The low temperature unit functions in a similar manner as the stock thermostat, however it opens at a much lower temperature compared to the stock unit. This means the speed of warmup is decreased, offering a better chance of keeping temperatures low. In addition, the lower thermostat activation temperature means the vehicle has a lower recovery temperature. This will allow the vehicle to cool to a lower temperature in between high load runs, which could be beneficial in certain situations.

Just installed mine. Install was not bad at all. I was able to manage it without taking off the front crash beam. The stock radiator was stuck to the AC Condenser, it took a lot of wiggling to get it out. I can't comment on the performance just yet, but after a 3rd gear WOT my coolant didn't go over 188 and oil did not go over 166. This was during a 68°F day and with your Oil Cooler installed. Will post results after my track day 4/11
Great to hear! Let us know how the track day goes.

I wish the thermostat was 180° instead of 160°.
I wonder if they made it like that as a crutch for a stock radiator?
The temperature was selected based on ECU thresholds. We essentially created the lowest temperature unit possible without triggering any issues with the ECU.

Thanks
-John

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Southern cars, distilled water and water wetter and run it all year or most of the year depending on your exact area/weather.

HPDE, TT, etc, a good idea on any car to do the above.

OR, try the Mishi coolant which I have not used yet, I will have to do so:)

Drag racers, same thing as well as cars in the warmer weather, etc.....

All racers, you can set the fan to stay on longer, come on sooner, etc....as needed, most likely, probably so, etc.....

The water pump is turning whether the stat is open or not, not sure how much more load on the engine with it open, something to consider.

For very serious heat issues and electric water pump is the way to go and it uses less power, mostly seen on all out race cars.

Lower temp stat almost always needed for race cars, others might not, I have not had the need yet but will find out soon.

I like that you actually set the temp around what the ECU needs to see, very "cool" :)

[MENTION=1848]mishimoto[/MENTION]

For the first time ever while running my car I got my coolant to be cooler than my oil in my car. I witnessed my coolant hover around 186 while my oil was at 190 during a 2-3-4 gear WOT down a back road near my house. Good job on your product!

jayrod1980

The intake manifold is way forward of where the radiator is... Those spacer are maybe an inch right? If it were that much space it would cause an issue for more than just this radiator. To fit in the stock location I believe mishimoto made the fan shroud more compact. Wouldn't the manifold have hit that hard coolant line right behind the shroud if the spacer moved it that much back?

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #218
[MENTION=1848]mishimoto[/MENTION]

For the first time ever while running my car I got my coolant to be cooler than my oil in my car. I witnessed my coolant hover around 186 while my oil was at 190 during a 2-3-4 gear WOT down a back road near my house. Good job on your product!
Awesome, this is great to hear! Looking forward to more feedback from our pre-sale folks.

Has anyone verified that this will fit with the Boomba intake manifold spacers?
Unfortunately we have not confirmed fitment of our radiator in combination with a manifold spacer. From comparing images of manifold location, it appears there should be room for a spacer with our radiator and shroud in place.

Thanks
-John

Can you go into a bit more detail on how you did it without removing the crash beam? Also, I assume you didn't have to unhook the oil cooler lines in this scenario? That would be optimum :) Thanks!

Can you go into a bit more detail on how you did it without removing the crash beam? Also, I assume you didn't have to unhook the oil cooler lines in this scenario? That would be optimum :) Thanks!
Yeah sure thing. What I did was remove all the bolts that hold the radiator support to the crash beam. There are 2 up top and 4 on the front. Of those 4 on the front, 2 sit behind the intercooler. Once all of those are off, the radiator support should be free of the crash beam, this allows you to articulate it up, down, left, and right. My next step was to loosen the Crash beam, there are 4 13mm bolts on each side, I loosened up all of them so that I was able to pull the beam back about 1-1.5 inches. This gave me enough space to pull out the fan shroud first then the radiator. Granted there is limited space, so much precaution was taken to not damage the radiator fins on the AC condenser. After the OEM fan shroud and radiator were pulled, I slid in the new radiator first, this took a bit of finagling with a friend because we didn't want to damage the Mishimoto Radiator or the AC Condenser. Once the condenser and radiator were mated (The ac condenser clips to the radiator), I bolted in the fan shroud assembly. I did bolt on the fan shroud on the radiator outside the car to make sure it fit and also to line up the metal brackets, then I removed it and reinstalled it once the radiator was in place. All in all it was not that bad, it just takes a lot more caution to not damage anything, but it can be done. I didn't want to pull off the Crash beam because of the Oil Lines from the Oil cooler, I didn't want to disconnect or stretch them.

Radiator works great. I haven't seen a coolant temp over 192 yet.