Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Loss of boost, poor idle and jerky throttle response

Time to MOVE* That has always been a racket.....As liberal as Mn is they figured it out hat it was just another way to tax people and the data showed that it didn't harm the Environment without them as the cars run so clean now anyways and proceeded to shut all the stations down.

The gubermint actually gave some of their power & money away? No way :O

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #22
So I accidentally started the car with the maf sensor unplugged and the pipe clamp for the hose on the top of the airbox loose and the car seemed to idle better lol. Don't know what is up with that.
I got a video of the car idling (once I properly connected everything) and there's a weird clicking noise coming from the back of the engine/turbo area. The clicking is not the valve noise, it happens much less frequently.
Thoughts?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsEMhBT2ASE

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
So I accidentally started the car with the maf sensor unplugged and the pipe clamp for the hose on the top of the airbox loose and the car seemed to idle better lol. Don't know what is up with that.
I got a video of the car idling (once I properly connected everything) and there's a weird clicking noise coming from the back of the engine/turbo area. The clicking is not the valve noise, it happens much less frequently.
Thoughts?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsEMhBT2ASE
OK i dont know what that is but your boost solenoid and bpv are like right there, both of them could technically be making a noise like that. Sounds like the click of a solenoid or relay, the bpv is electronic right so that would also open and close with a similar actuator click I would assume. Back in my electronics principles 1 and 2 with a solenoid valve system you would either have electronic signal but no mechanical actuation or no signal. Then you would narrow down to stuck open or closed based on whether it was normally open or closed. Sounds like its getting the signal and cant mechanically do what its supposed to. (whichever one it is)

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem although idk if I can hear the turbo. So far I uninstalled the stratified tune bringing my stock map and it's still slow. gonna drive it up the ramp and check all the hoses see if that fixes it. My 2016 only has 12600 miles and I just got the mountune radiator so it cant be heat related. Stay tuned. My apologies for threadjacking.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm having the same problem although idk if I can hear the turbo. So far I uninstalled the stratified tune bringing my stock map and it's still slow. gonna drive it up the ramp and check all the hoses see if that fixes it. My 2016 only has 12600 miles and I just got the mountune radiator so it cant be heat related. Stay tuned. My apologies for threadjacking.
Find another FiST member off the forum and have them drive your car. Also....was the stratified Tune on valet mode?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Thank you. No, I don't think so. Someone mentioned I may have done it through the cruise control buttons but now my question is, even if I had, since I uninstalled the tune and now I'm stock, wouldn't the valet mode be removed since I'm no longer tuned? I'm in Southern California btw(Pomona)

Find another FiST member off the forum and have them drive your car. Also....was the stratified Tune on valet mode?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thank you. No, I don't think so. Someone mentioned I may have done it through the cruise control buttons but now my question is, even if I had, since I uninstalled the tune and now I'm stock, wouldn't the valet mode be removed since I'm no longer tuned? I'm in Southern California btw(Pomona)
Is there no boost at all?if so I'd be checking the hotside pipe hose as that is the one that likes to come loose the most often from what I've seen.

Last edited:
OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #28
Is there no boost at all?if so I'd be checking the hotside pipe hose as that is the one that likes to come loose the most often from what I've seen.

If that is your issue, I fixed it by adding a second hose clamp. You could also put hairspray on the connection.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #29
How do I test the electrical connections for the boost pressure sensor and the map sensor? I have a multimeter, but I don't have any wiring diagrams or very much experience with electrical stuff.
I'm wondering if my issue is being caused by a bad electrical connection in one of the sensors.

the duke

Intercept the signal and post up the voltages. I'm sure someone can either confirm your numbers or let you know what the "stock" numbers should be.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #32
OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #33
Installed the new bov Saturday and idled the car. It still was having issues, so I don't think the bov was the problem, although I still need to drive it and test it. I also have a replacement coming for the sensor on the manifold.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #34
I installed the sensor on the manifold and went for a test drive. Sadly it still runs poorly and the Accessport only showed 4.5 lbs of boost. I also cleared my codes before I drove it and the p0234 and p0236 came back
My mechanic buddy thinks it might be the turbo. Has anyone else seen these codes while dealing with turbo issues. Also I don't understand why a bad turbo would make my fist idle poorly.
Any advice is appreciated, I'm very ready to be able to drive my fist again.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I installed the sensor on the manifold and went for a test drive. Sadly it still runs poorly and the Accessport only showed 4.5 lbs of boost. I also cleared my codes before I drove it and the p0234 and p0236 came back
My mechanic buddy thinks it might be the turbo. Has anyone else seen these codes while dealing with turbo issues. Also I don't understand why a bad turbo would make my fist idle poorly.
Any advice is appreciated, I'm very ready to be able to drive my fist again.
Take off the Elbow for the Turbo inlet. The compressor wheel should spin freely and HAVE NO back and forth and side to side play. If it has either it is coming up on rebuild....if it's seized time to replace and maybe go S280 or Whoosh hybrid....or pumaspeed hybrid.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Time for a boost leak test also if it hasn't been performed yet* Is the lower intercooler stock or Upgraded? Is it protected by the OEM boulder blocker, After market Grille or Left out in the open without anything to get a good old kick in the Teeth by road debris?

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #38
Time for a boost leak test also if it hasn't been performed yet* Is the lower intercooler stock or Upgraded? Is it protected by the OEM boulder blocker, After market Grille or Left out in the open without anything to get a good old kick in the Teeth by road debris?
I have a custom car grills grill on the intercooler, which provides way better protection than the stock one, so I would be surprised if something damaged the intercooler.
I need to check all that stuff, but I might not be able to until the weekend because of work. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.