Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MAP exhaust drone

TempeST

Pic B is ovaled, just as you said. Do you have a micrometer? Or hell with it being that bad you could easily take a ruler to it to prove it.

Not sure if you remember but I told you that I had drone with this exhaust as well. I was hoping you'd have a different experience. I received the same answer when I first brought this up to them (after I pulled it off and sold it).

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #24
Thank you all for comments! I hope it helps sway MAP. This pipe is shaped just like the one it's supposed to replace which leads me to believe there fabricator needs to check there pipe bending setup. But first they have to admit there's a problem.

Not sure if you remember but I told you that I had drone with this exhaust as well. I was hoping you'd have a different experience. I received the same answer when I first brought this up to them (after I pulled it off and sold it).
I absolutely remember! I immediately thought of you when i first hit 3500 rpm and i felt a vice clamping around my head from the boomiest drone I'd ever heard. But in the videos i watched it sounded like exactly what i wanted. I just hoped it was a personal preference thing since yours was the first bad review I'd heard. Since then others have reported the same drone in various other threads. After the boom tho it sounds pretty good but i can tell it's not quite right. The leak is obviously effecting the sound.

I was considering buying the MAP exhaust, but it might be a cobb or mountune now.
And this is why i don't understand how MAP didn't heed hquakers and is now telling me i'm not seeing what is clearly a bad part. Customers will make or break a product. [MENTION=3130]gongos[/MENTION] I would suggest you wait until my situation is resolved. The exhaust is priced fairly (mostly) well built and when not booming, sounds fairly good. MAP has been accommodating up until now. But as a business i can understand their reflex to draw a line. They have to be certain I'm not just some jerk off customer trying to get over on them. That being said, let the numbers convince them...

PIC A. 6.1 cm

PIC B. 6.2 cm Clearly the elongated side the pipe the crosses an additional tick.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #25
MAP looked at the pics above and told me a beat up tape measure wasn't the most irrefutable way to measure. No argument there so i bought a digital caliper. There's no mistaking it now. The pipe is absolutely off. I sent him the new pics this morning.

Yesterday he agreed to send me a new clamp so MAP hasn't abandoned me. Unless these new pics convince MAP to bend me another pipe, i'll be removing the mid pipe from my car and measuring it as well (and taking pics). I'll keep whichever one is least out of round

I laid the pipe on my kitchen counter and measured both ends of the pipe vertically and horizontally. Interesting fact: While the outer circumference is indeed 2.5", the inner is 2.3" making this a 2.3" exhaust :p

Pic A
Identical in both directions...the kind of round that dreams are made of.

Pic B
and here we have my nemesis. The bringer of destruction & famine

That's BS that you had to go through this much trouble to prove that their product is defective.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #27
I'm jumping through these hoops not only to get this resolved for me but all of us. If this is a recurring issue on an otherwise good system, resolving it would reopen this system as an option for folks.

He's showing my pics to the fabricator so he's working the problem. We are finally in agreement. I can't blame him for wanting irrefutable proof. They're running a business after all.

If anything it shows MAP is willing to work with its customers. Another company on this site won't send me a replacement until I pull the part off of my daily driver and send it back or give him $100 as collateral. MAP just sent me the replacement pipe, hassle-free.

Anxious to get mine. It should hopefully ship by the end of the week. I'll keep you posted once I get mine.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #30
Please post pics of both ends of the midpipe. Do you have calipers you can measure with? I hope yours is ok bro.

Thank you for posting progress and concerns on this. The MAP exhaust was my first choice up until now and based on fixes and results may still be. Keep us informed and thanks agan!

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #34
No worries guys. This is what forums are for.

Update...here's the email I received today from Aaron @ MAP.

[QUOTE ] I just had a chat with my VP of manufacturing and my lead fabricator who have been responsible for the research and design for every product that we have been making for the last 10 years.

They have both assured me that even 1-2mm out of round would be corrected by the clamp. I would also be a slight bit skeptical if I had not just installed this on my personal car just last week. If you wouldn't mind, I would like for you to try out the new section that we shipped out to you with the new clamp that was sent as well. After installing, check the exhaust for leaks by having the vehicle running and feeling for any puffs of air coming out of that clamp. They did inform me that even OEM exhaust systems that utilize these slip clamps will have exhaust condensation that builds up and drips out of these clamps, but it does not mean that exhaust gasses are leaking.
If for some reason this does not fix your issue, we will make a custom section for you and send that out. We will cut off the back section after the bend and WELD on a straight piece of 2.5" that has never been in a bender before[/QUOTE]

There support went from so-so to absolutely excellent. I've received both a replacement pipe section AND a clamp at ZERO cost to me. And as you can see, are even offering to weld up a custom one off piece if needed. Can't really ask for more than that!

This is in stark contrast to another vendor here ( I won't name) that wants me to pull the faulty part off, go through PITA to install the oem part, then send the part back to them on my dime. Then pull it all apart again to install the replacement. I told them I'd rather not. So their answer... Send a $100 deposit that will be refunded once they get the faulty part back...Really? I decided I'm not buying their downpipe and instead buying MAP's more expensive part when the time comes. Imagine trying to get support for a failed DP from that vendor. I'd much rather deal with MAP!

SO, I'll be pulling it apart tomorrow night. Stay tuned.

maperformance

Hey this is Adam here! Glad to hear things are looking up. I apologize for the stiff response from my customer service department. You would be amazed how often the phone calls are for an incredible amount of parts and issues that have nothing to do with us. That said, I'm also sorry I couldn't help you further directly, myself. However, I hope the new changes should hopefully rectify this. I also have been working from the road and away from my phone and won't be back until the 1st of July, but I feel free to PM me, (Any of you!!) if you have questions, concerns, or need anything more. I know this exhaust is one of my favorite exhausts of mine, from MAP of all time, and I want to make sure we have one of your favorite experiences behind it too.

-Adam