Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need help figuring out what's wrong with my car.

I'm gonna preface this by saying I had a spinout on the freeway a couple months back. I wasn't stuck so I drove out of there an instantly noticed something wrong with my car. I've already spent a decent amount of money preparing things bust still, my car just doesn't feel quite right despite significant improvements. Here's an ordered list of what's been done:

-Right after spinout took car in for alignment and suspension check. Tie rod end replaced and alignment performed, I don't think they checked the suspension at all.

-Car was still producing vibrations so I took it in to have the wheels balanced. This made some slight improvements but again still bumpy and doesn't feel quite, steering still feels a bit dead.

-Replaced all four tires, which I think were likely the culprit of me spinning out in the first place. This made significant improvements but there was still a bit of an uncomfortable bumpiness and wobble.

-Replaced stock shocks and springs for Mountune clubsport suspension kit. The car honestly felt more or less the same afterwards, but a bit less bouncy. I had a theory the rears were blown and pulling the old dampers out confirmed that.

-Control arms and sway bar end links replaced. Not much to say here for ride improvements, I justify doing this simply with the fact that they would've needed to be replaced eventually, and the car has hit 100k miles.

-Alignment performed a day later, this has made a minor improvement on how the car tracks, and I haven't had a chance to take it on the roads where it tramlines a lot, but again on the streets I was driving on the difference was pretty small, and the alignment was surprisingly still pretty close to spec despite lowering and me tinkering around.

This is everything that's been done since my incident, I'm lucky to still have my car, but knowing something isn't quite right has begun to really bother me and I miss being able to drive with spirit.

Since I've been kinda vague on what feels wrong:
- There's a constant bumpy feeling driving on some roads, based on everything else's impressions of the suspension kit I got, this really shouldn't be happening. To add to that on stock suspension it felt fine going over these same roads. I could almost describe it as a vibration that's felt in the seat and steering wheel. It doesn't do this on all roads.

- Play in steering wheel. It's been a decent amount of time since my car was in good condition, but I remember moving my steering wheel side to side (maybe by an inch or two) the car would change direction easily with each movement. Now there's some play in the steering a basically a dead zone. I can feel the car move a slight amount, but it feels like the steering should be tighter than this.

- Steering wheel wobbles occasionally. I notice this going over some surfaces and minor imperfections on the road that the steering wheel moves a bit from side to side, kinda jiggling in a way.

I think this mostly sums up what's been done, I've spent much more money than I'd like to have and feel like some expenses weren't necessary, and at this point I want to be sure I'm spending money where it matters. Anybody have any ideas based on my descriptions? Spring is coming and I'd really like to get it in ship shape again. Ask any additional questions for clarification if needed.

Thanks.

OP
M
Thread Starter #3
Sounds like it could be a broken engine or transmission mount. A spinout could do that.
Could that explain the occasional unsteadiness I'm experiencing? To replace a good chunk of suspension components that really ticks a lot of that stuff out.

And I do know for a fact my passenger side motor mount is going, it I'm getting a chirp at low speeds when the engine is cool and doing any type of input that would move the engine.

I've coincidentally got a powerflex insert for my psmm that I ordered with my spring pads, just have to get off my ass and do it.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Could that explain the occasional unsteadiness I'm experiencing? To replace a good chunk of suspension components that really ticks a lot of that stuff out.

And I do know for a fact my passenger side motor mount is going, it I'm getting a chirp at low speeds when the engine is cool and doing any type of input that would move the engine.

I've coincidentally got a powerflex insert for my psmm that I ordered with my spring pads, just have to get off my ass and do it.
That could explain it, yes. The symptoms will come and go like you described. If you're lucky, it's just the one mount and you already have a replacement.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Which side got the parts replaced? Driver or passenger?
He hasn't replaced it yet. He said the psmm was going, and he got a powerflex for it. If it was going anyway, the crash might have totally ripped it.
Weird G forces when you spin out. DAMHIK

OP
M
Thread Starter #7
Which side got the parts replaced? Driver or passenger?
Neither yet, I have the insert for the psmm on hand but would like to do them both at the same time so I'm gonna order the drivers side insert too. I've got an awr rmm installed so that should be good, but I'm gonna make sure it's still in ship shape too.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Neither yet, I have the insert for the psmm on hand but would like to do them both at the same time so I'm gonna order the drivers side insert too. I've got an awr rmm installed so that should be good, but I'm gonna make sure it's still in ship shape too.
You stated a tie rod was replaced...What side?

OP
M
Thread Starter #9
You stated a tie rod was replaced...What side?
Passenger side, that's the direction I was spinning so I'd assume more impact there.

I also checked both tie rods the two times I had my car on the lift, and had it checked by two different shops.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You should put the car outside....Block/ chalk a front or rear wheel on both sides. Have someone get in and give the FiST some gas NOT in gear* to see if the Engine lurches like it wants to get out of the engine bay .If it lurches significantly a Mount is most like the culprit. Did the vehicle make contact with any object when you lost control?

OP
M
Thread Starter #11
You should put the car outside....Block/ chalk a front or rear wheel on both sides. Have someone get in and give the FiST some gas NOT in gear* to see if the Engine lurches like it wants to get out of the engine bay .If it lurches significantly a Mount is most like the culprit. Did the vehicle make contact with any object when you lost control?
It did dig into the dirt a bit, at first I suspected a bent rim or wheel bearing but those are all fine. I can confirm the motor mount is shit though. Moves easily with a pry bar and makes a bunch of noise when cold. I've gone ahead and ordered new mounts so hopefully that fixes it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It did dig into the dirt a bit, at first I suspected a bent rim or wheel bearing but those are all fine. I can confirm the motor mount is shit though. Moves easily with a pry bar and makes a bunch of noise when cold. I've gone ahead and ordered new mounts so hopefully that fixes it.
Is the Bolt on the Passenger side Motor mount broke/Sheared off? But looks intact*

OP
M
Thread Starter #13
Is the Bolt on the Passenger side Motor mount broke/Sheared off? But looks intact*
I didn't notice that, but I can check when there's daylight again. I've got the upgraded arp bolt to go on as well so I won't have to worry about that too.

Sam4

I replaced my end links recently - way past their service life. It was twitchy, noisy and reacted badly to road issues. I still have something weird on the passenger side, but they made a huge improvement. Didn't see them in the above list ...

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
If you know that the mounts are bad, I would definitely start by replacing them. I had a 1st gen Focus with bad mounts and replacing them made a huge improvement in how it felt. Also, I would check on your rear motor mount as well.

OP
M
Thread Starter #16
I replaced my end links recently - way past their service life. It was twitchy, noisy and reacted badly to road issues. I still have something weird on the passenger side, but they made a huge improvement. Didn't see them in the above list ...
Forgot to add that, end links are brand new too.

OP
M
Thread Starter #17
If you know that the mounts are bad, I would definitely start by replacing them. I had a 1st gen Focus with bad mounts and replacing them made a huge improvement in how it felt. Also, I would check on your rear motor mount as well.
Def gonna do that then, I'm excited to see how it changes the car especially with the powerflex inserts. Rmm is hopefully fine, it's an awr I put on when I got the car, but if it's bad I'm gone get cpe then do the other cpe mounts in a year or two

OP
M
Thread Starter #18
I know for sure I need to replace those motor mounts, and I've ordered them, but I have a feeling the motor mounts aren't my main culprit after driving a bit today.

When the car starts to get bouncy, I put the clutch in and the revs drop, but the car continued to be super bouncy after the fact. It could be the mounts causing this but I have my doubts.

If it isn't the mounts does anyone know what I should be looking at next? I'm wondering if I got send faulty units from mountune or if I did a poor job installing. Sometimes it rides really smooth over bumpy roads, and other times it's worse than stock suspension. Worth noting that the vibrations were also pretty much unchanged from stock dampers to bilsteins/mountune springs.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I know for sure I need to replace those motor mounts, and I've ordered them, but I have a feeling the motor mounts aren't my main culprit after driving a bit today.

When the car starts to get bouncy, I put the clutch in and the revs drop, but the car continued to be super bouncy after the fact. It could be the mounts causing this but I have my doubts.

If it isn't the mounts does anyone know what I should be looking at next? I'm wondering if I got send faulty units from mountune or if I did a poor job installing. Sometimes it rides really smooth over bumpy roads, and other times it's worse than stock suspension. Worth noting that the vibrations were also pretty much unchanged from stock dampers to bilsteins/mountune springs.
It could still be the mounts if they’re totally shot and the engine is rocking. Get someone to rev it for you in neutral while you open the old and watch for engine movement. There should be almost none.

OP
M
Thread Starter #20
It could still be the mounts if they’re totally shot and the engine is rocking. Get someone to rev it for you in neutral while you open the old and watch for engine movement. There should be almost none.
There is a slight amount of engine movement, didn't get super high up in the revs but I'm able to move the engine with my hands pretty easily as well. Hopefully it's just that, I'm also just impatient for shipping looks like it'll be about 2 weeks before the mounts are here.

I could also be stupid and it might be my tire pressures being off, but I'd expect that to be constant. Temps have changed so that does make sense, my pressure gauge exploded so I'll buy a new one and check after work. Maybe I'm lucky and that's part of the problem, I'll find out and update.