Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New Member from PDX - Wheel & Tire Question

Hi Everyone,

I have actually been a FiST owner since February of 2015, just haven't yet had an opportunity to post on here.

I did have a question that I am looking for feedback on. It is wheel and tire related (mods - feel free to move this over to the wheel & tire section of the forum).

I have had the stock wheels and am now on my second set of tires. I had the RE050A's until about 17K, then got a non-repairable nail and decided to replace them with the Sport Comp 2's, again in stock size.

My Sport Comp 2's are now nearing the end of their life and will need replacement. I would get another set but BFG, in their infinite wisdom, decided to discontinue making the Sport Comp 2's in the stock size.

I am now in a conundrum. I could get the RE050A's again, though they are VERY expensive and an old technology. I could get the P-Zero Nero's, which don't seem to perform very well. I am not interested in any of the stock size options, nor am I interested in All-Seasons, as I run summer tires all year round (it really doesn't snow in PDX, contrary to what all of the WRX drivers want you to believe. Usually, it's 47 degrees and raining. I have an SUV to drive if I want to go to the mountain or there is snow.

I could also go up to a 205/45/17 which would allow me to get the tire that I really want: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Just put them on my GF's GTI and they are FANTASTIC for the price. However, I don't want to sap the performance and response that makes the FiST so unique and enjoyable (to me at least). I know it probably wouldn't be that much of a difference, but still, I would like to avoid adding unsprung weight if possible. I know the thicker sidewall can have the tendency to make the car feel bit more sluggish, and my car is stock in terms of power, though I have been looking at the MP215 kit.

My buddy recommended that I get a set of 16" wheels and run a 205/45/16. He made the comment that they would be lighter and would improve every aspect of performance (acceleration, braking, response etc. The wheels that I would be getting are about 3 lbs per corner lighter than the stock wheels.

I am looking at the MSW Type 25 in Matte Gray:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...utoModel=Fiesta+ST&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=

I would get OZ wheels but I just can't afford to spend a ton of money on wheels right now. I did run the numbers and the MSW Type 25's and Firehawk's would run only about $150 more than the Potenzas, even taking into account shipping the wheels from Tire Rack.

My question is this: For those who have 16's in the 205/45/16, have you noticed a lack of feedback and response due to the taller sidewall? I know that the overall size is the same as the stock size (within .2" or so), but again, my favorite part of the FiST is the razor-sharp response and handling. To tell you the truth, I enjoy the stiff ride and would rather the ride not get too soft. Is there a big difference between the stock size and the 205/45R16 size?

If you could post some of your thoughts and feedback that would be great!

Sean

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
To be honest, I don't know s**t about tires as much as some others do on this site, but I do know a thing, or two about physics. Yes, you'll be able to tell the difference between 40, and 45. And if the sharpness of handling is really important to you, you may want to scratch the plans of a 45. More on that: if you're losing 3lbs by tossing a 16inch wheel on your car, you'll also be gaining a little more weight back by running 45s. Now, I do not have personal experience in the differences between 16"/17" & 40/45, but my thoughts are the difference in feel from going 40 to 45 would be greater than notice of acceleration, braking, etc. from the wheels and tires that you speak of.

As far as looks go, I'd say that the 16" with 45s would look better, but "looks are subjective", blah, blah lol. On a side note for driving comfort, I wish I had 45s 2/3 of the time.

Welcome btw!

Last edited: