Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New member, some dealing away from a perspective buyer

So I've been looking for a car to replace my girlfriend's 2010 Civic. It's an auto and terribly boring, though it was loads of fun using it to finish out an autocross last month when my Miata's radiator burst. Yeah, so we also have a 1996 Miata...and a 2014 Wrangler. Anyways...before last saturday we'd looked at the Mazda2 and 3 and some other compact cars that can be had with a manual for less than 20k.

Last weekend we test drove a 2015 GTI. I drove, she sat. She loved it, I wasn't in love. Beautiful car, great interior, effortlessly fast with the torque, but a bit numb. If I spent more time on the highway I'd buy it in an instant, but I commute 30 miles a day right now and I'm mostly doing it in the Miata, so anything is cushy in comparison.

After the GTI my girlfriend went to work and I ended up going to a tire shop to get a tire mounted on the Miata. The tire shop was next to a Scion dealer, they had a 6 speed FR-S. Ended up test driving it and it was awesome, but in the same way a Miata is awesome but for 10x the price. The back seat was worthless and if we were going to sell the Civic it would need to seat four. After the FR-S I swung by work then it was off to another set of dealerships.

Next up was the Fiat dealer to see the Abarath. Driving an old Miata while dressed in a t-shirt, flip-flops and jeans I was ignored for ten whole minutes and left. Same thing happened at the Mini dealer next door. I'd owned a 2010 Cooper and sat in the 2015 and immediately lost the urge to try it. It was nice, but it reminded me why I never bonded with my old Mini. Finally, at the Hyundai dealership down the street a salesman paid attention to me. Took a spin in a Veloster turbo and I quite liked it. Hyundai has come a long way since my grandfather's Excel burned to the ground on an interstate journey two decades ago. I liked it, but my girlfriend wasn't a huge fan of the "reverse hood scoops" after I sent her a picture of the car. Also, I got a call from work during the test drive and had to go back to the office so I never got the chance to talk numbers. I've always liked the looks of the veloster and it is a sporty enough ride, but not as much fun as a hot hatch should be.

Six aneurysms later I was one again free from the gravitational pull of the office. While stuck there I was able to remember the Fiesta ST existed and found one in stock two miles away. When I got to the Ford dealer I was greeted immediately by a very pleasant saleswoman and offered a chance to drive the red ST that they had in stock. As most of you can imagine, being members of a forum dedicated to the car, I loved it. Light, crisp, fun and comfortable. Pretty much what a hot hatch should be. Really liked the Racaros and the interior. Not as grown up as the GTI and not as fast, but it felt faster and was more fun.

Long story short I'm now thinking about selling the Wrangler and the Civic and getting a FiST. Or just selling the Wrangler and buying the FiST. The Wrangler is almost paid off and I'd basically get back what I paid for it. It's probably the smart thing to do as I haven't driven the Jeep much recently anyways, though I do off road and tow things every once in a while. Also, I love it, but if I sold the Jeep and bought a FiST I'd have it paid off by 2015.

Uhh, so, ummm, "HI".

TL;DR: Test drove four cars on a saturday, ended the day loving the FiST.

FocusMike

I had similar experience at an Audi dealer, showed up in shorts and fliplop and couldnt get service. While people who dressed more professional that came after me were greeted promptly by the sales people. Needless to say I'm never giving that dealer any future business.

Hope you do end up getting the FiST, its really a great car.

OP
Someguy
Thread Starter #3
Also, I have no idea what I was thinking with the title to this thread. Guess I need to be more careful in the future.

I tested all of them except the Hyundai and was left underwhelmed. The GTI and current MINIs are fast but don't feel fast. I don't want to feel distant from the driving experience. If I did I wouldn't be driving a hot hatch. I had a really early build 2003 R53 MINI that I loved and darn near drove into the ground because driving that was an experience. The current MINIs are too refined and I personally think they ruined the car to expand the brand. I hated the R53 and was less than thrilled about the new F56. You weren't missing much with the Abarth. The engine tune is sweet but they totally ruined it with that horrible 5 speed. The FiST isn't the fastest thing out there but it's the most fun out there IMO. I had to let go of my MINI snobbishness but as the car before that was a Kia Sephia my car snootiness has limits lol. You could do lots worse than the FiST for sure!

I meant I hated the R56. Loved the R53. Frank Stephenson called it Dennis the Menace on wheels and the FiST fits that description to a T.

OP
Someguy
Thread Starter #6
I drove the Abarath a year and some change ago. Aside from loving the exhaust note I remember being underwhelmed. She really likes the look of the 500 and I wanted to give it another try, but that's not going to happen now.

OP
Someguy
Thread Starter #7
I ended up buying the R56 after my E36 M3 vert started giving me too much trouble and I was going to be in training for about 6 months with no place to work on a car. Next to the M3 the R56 base felt much more fun, and I didn't hate the fuel economy, but once I was settled I traded it in on a WRX... which I gave to my dad. I go through cars way too often, looking for one that's just right! So far the first gen Miata is close, but I do like the ability to jump in a car and drive 10 hours without much trouble and the ability to fit people in it when I need to.

OP
Someguy
Thread Starter #8
And I have driven the FoST, while I was impressed it just didn't feel right. I couldn't get comfortable in it.