Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New Version of Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Coming in OEM Size

CSM

1000 Post Club
That's what I've heard. What's wrong with them specifically?
Oh god yes they are awful. they just don't perform. Very vague handling, floppy sidewall. I have a set on my 17" summer wheels and I pumped them up to 42PSI just to get a little more feeling out of them.

They are a good daily driver tire (quiet, noticeably more comfortable), just lack a lot of the feel of a good summer tire which is what class they are in.

That's what I've heard. What's wrong with them specifically?
Well personally i find that the sidewall becomes shit when on the edge, theres no consistent “let go” point, they seem to wanna roll alot and “push” into corners, but not necessarily let go if that makes sense. All in all they are too pricey for not enough driver feedback…

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
Update - I checked with Tire Rack to see if they had any ETA for these tires but they don't, the person I talked to guessed that they might have them in 60 to 90 days, but that's the same thing they said in February.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I guess I will be getting Dunlop direzza ziii.
Thanks for the update bummer.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
I guess I will be getting Dunlop direzza ziii.
Thanks for the update bummer.

I did see that Discount Tire has the Potenza RE050As, but I'm assuming it's the old version. They are $208 on their website, and I don't know anything about Discount Tire, I don't know if it's a good place to deal with or not.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I did see that Discount Tire has the Potenza RE050As, but I'm assuming it's the old version. They are $208 on their website, and I don't know anything about Discount Tire, I don't know if it's a good place to deal with or not.
Discount tire is great but I am not paying that. Dunlop direzza ziii is a better tire.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
Discount tire is great but I am not paying that. Dunlop direzza ziii is a better tire.

What size would you use in those, a 215/40-17? If so, does that cause any issues with the slightly larger diameter?

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
How much should we be paying for these then? Just curious for when I'm in need.
If you're asking about the price for the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A, when Tire Rack had them, they would fluctuate a lot in price, between about $170 and $220 each as I recall. I bought just one in 2017 when a tire picked up a puncture that couldn't be fixed, and it was about $170.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
What size would you use in those, a 215/40-17? If so, does that cause any issues with the slightly larger diameter?
Yes on the size and it definitely will not cause any problems. It is one of the most popular tires people run on this car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If you're asking about the price for the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A, when Tire Rack had them, they would fluctuate a lot in price, between about $170 and $220 each as I recall. I bought just one in 2017 when a tire picked up a puncture that couldn't be fixed, and it was about $170.
Yes, even at their least expensive prices, any/all OEM size and model manufacturer designated replacement tires are seriously gouged/marked up on Tire Rack, and yes, even everywhere else which usually has lower prices than that company posts.

ronmcdon

the 660's are real nice but wear a lot quicker than the Z3's. as much as I love the 660's could not afford to use them for anything other than daily driving. doubt id get more than 3 track days on a set, but good thing they're relatively affordable in 205/16 sizing.

CSM

1000 Post Club
the 660's are real nice but wear a lot quicker than the Z3's. as much as I love the 660's could not afford to use them for anything other than daily driving. doubt id get more than 3 track days on a set, but good thing they're relatively affordable in 205/16 sizing.
agree. i own both and ziii is a good compromise tire if you're ok with the lower grip. but it wears better

One name cheaper than RE50 by miles and absolutely sticks like nobodies business Falken! RT660 and if you want to save 30-$40 on the set Dunlop Direzza ZIII’s
Are either of these better than the Indy 500s though? I thought they were the ultimate stock equivalent FiST tire for performance/price.

Last edited:

ronmcdon

The only thing the indy 500s excel at over the Z3s and 660s is treadware imo.

Had the indy 500s on my daily civic hybrid and its solid for the price as an all around street tire. when I replaced them with 660s the response was night and day difference imo. One would think the 660s may be noisy and uncomfortable for DD but they are easier to live with than the Z3’s.

I stick with Z3s on fun cars bc its solid all around tire other than being probably too noisy for some as a dd. hankook rs4 is probably similar.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Are either of these better than the Indy 500s though? I thought they were the ultimate stock equivalent FiST tire for performance/price.
they are both better IMO . Like RonMC said the only thing the Indy’s excel at is mileage and being a little less expensive I might add.
In other words if one is cheap and does not mind a lot less grip in trade off for extended mileage then Indy.

As far as noise is concerned I came from RS Pro’s which .. had a definitive growl down the road though not quite as loud as previous generation Feddy’s and the RT660 is practically dead quite in comparison. Not completely silent but pretty damn good for a UHP sticky summer tire.

Last edited:
I had P Zeros as an OEM tire when I had the Macan. So I thought I'd try the P-Zero Nero on the FiST when I ordered my OZ wheels. I'm ready for them to wear out so I can move to something else. Unsure at this point which tire I'll daily, so I appreciate this discussion and the opinions shared.

I put R888Rs on the OEM wheels for the track and today was my first day running them. What a change in character those tires create.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #40
I had P Zeros as an OEM tire when I had the Macan. So I thought I'd try the P-Zero Nero on the FiST when I ordered my OZ wheels. I'm ready for them to wear out so I can move to something else. Unsure at this point which tire I'll daily, so I appreciate this discussion and the opinions shared.

I put R888Rs on the OEM wheels for the track and today was my first day running them. What a change in character those tires create.
Your opinion and that of a few other people on this thread have definitely confirmed to me that the P Zero Nero is not a tire that I want on my car, thanks for adding your experience.