Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

NM_Design's 2016 Rebuild

Last weekend after a lot of research for a daily driver, one article after the other it was evident that the fiesta ST was just what i was looking for. After months of stalking several ST's, I ended up picked up this wrecked 2016 Fiesta ST. It was a 4 hour drive to the repairable car lot that this car was listed at, once I got a better look at the car I purchased it.
FIST C.jpg
Pulling Home
FIST B.jpg
FIST A.jpg
In the shop

Once I got it home, I immediately Pulled it apart making a parts list as i went. Initially the front end seemed worse then advertised but once I got further into it, I feel like I lucked out and was able to straighten both the radiator and A/C condenser bent back without any leaks.
FIST D.jpg
In the wreck several parts were broken including the intercooler, oil pan, RH steering arm, front bumper and various brackets.
FIST F.jpg
Cracked intercooler
FIST K.jpg
Bent steering arm

The oil pan was cracked pretty bad, so i had it welded up by a friend last week.
FIST G.jpg
Outside Crack
FIST H.jpg
Inside of Pan
FIST J.jpg
Outside after welded
FIST I.jpg
Inside after welded

This weekend I was able to get the oil pan back on and started to install some of the other parts like the radiator support only to realize i was missing some rubber grommets so some more parts added to the needed list
FIST L.jpg
After mocking parts up I Noticed that this tube had both a broken mounting bracket and what i assume is the oxygen sensor was broken also. More to the list

Please see the link if you have parts you would like to sell, I will update as i find more broken parts...
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/14103-WTB-OEM-Front-End-parts

More on the Car for those interested it's a 2016 it has 16,000 miles with Recaro seats

Long term goals for the car is a great daily driver, I see an intake, intercooler, probably a resonator delete in the future, main focus is to get the car up and running as soon as possible, the doors and rear quarter panel will likely remain damaged for awhile. both door windows roll up and down . I can't seem to source just the door shell right. so I will be patient and keep locally at salvage yards for those items. I have ordered some more parts to get me to the next step in at least getting the front end back together minus the body parts. right now i'm focusing on the mechanical parts. Please if you have any suggestions on what should just be upgraded rather the replaced with OEM parts please let me know.

Definitely respect the purchase! If the frame is straight then you still have a winner! I'm sure someone wrecked the passenger side of one and you'll find some doors! Plus the stuff that's wrecked up front is better improved through the aftermarket anyway, bonus!
Will be pretty cool to get that fiesta a second life track or street!

Business6

Very cool. Always good to see cars come back to life. Looks like you know what you've gotten into but good luck anyway :D

OP
N
Thread Starter #4
A little progress this weekend, got most of the non cosmetic parts back on the car. replaced the fan, radiator support and various shields that were broken.
FIST M.jpg
FIST N.jpg
Also replaced the bent Steering linkage
FIST O.jpg
FIST P.jpg
Currently I am still trying to find a hood, bumper cover and headlights, no luck looking locally. I was surprised to find out that ford charges a core on the front bumper, something I have not ran into before. I was able to get it back on the ground and took it for a short drive, only increasing the want to have this thing finished already. the parts search continues. My plan is to see how much of the rear quarter can be pulled out next weekend.

This thread is awesome...I kind of wish I had gotten my car via this method. If you can, please keep track of all your costs, I'm curious how much money you will end up saving.

OP
N
Thread Starter #6
Just another quick update on the progress so far
I have decided to just skin both drivers side doors instead of trying to find salvage or fix the existing due to the price.

OEM Ford Skin

FIST S.jpg

I ground off the the crimp seam of existing door skins

FIST Q.jpg

The crimp overlap has been pulled off in the above picture.

A close up of the ground crimp seam

FIST R.jpg

It didn't take much to grind off the skins. They were not welded, just panel bonded on. I was able to take a putty knife and remove the skin easily without damaging the door shell much. These are all of the rear door which had a little bit of damage to the door shell, which you can see from the picture, the front door was fine.

FIST V.jpg

OEM skin removed

FIST T.jpg

A good look at what structure is underneath the door. It was interesting to see where panel bonding glue and seam sealer was used from the factory.

FIST U.jpg

Mocking up the panel on the door

FIST W.jpg

I did a terrible job of taking pictures from here on. I was able to get both door skins panel bonded on and the edges crimped but no pictures of the finished product right now.

My plans are to get some of the paint prep work done this weekend on the doors, bumper, and hood. I hope to have the car finished in a month or so, we will see how that goes.

OP
N
Thread Starter #7
This thread is awesome...I kind of wish I had gotten my car via this method. If you can, please keep track of all your costs, I'm curious how much money you will end up saving.
I have been keeping a close tab on what I have been spending, when I am all done I will post up a break down of what i have in it in total.

OP
N
Thread Starter #8
Overdue update on the project, I have only had a few hours every other weekend but i finally feel like i made some progress.
I removed the rear quarter panel

FIST X.jpg

Just a picture of the damage, caused quite a bit of damage to the inner fender

FIST Y.jpg

In process of removing the rear quarter panel

FIST Z.jpg

I purchased a 1/4 Panel section from a local salvage yard, it included all of the inner quarter panel too

FIST ZA.jpg

bodywork done and pushed out to clean off and clean the shop to prime

FIST ZB.jpg
FIST ZC.jpg

Got everything laid out only to find out i was out of masking tape so i was not able to get it primed this weekend, should have it in primer next weekend.

FIST ZD.jpg

OP
N
Thread Starter #11
Another quick update was able to prime, block sand, and re-prime what needed a second coat this weekend, finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Epoxy Primer

FIST ZE.jpg

Fill Primer

FIST ZF.jpg

Guide Coat

FIST ZG.jpg

Guide Coat

FIST ZH.jpg

Both the doors and quarter panel needed another round of primer to make sure things are nice and straight. I managed to get them in primer Saturday night and started finish blocking this morning. I feel like i should be able to finish all the prep work and be able to clean shop next weekend in order to paint he following weekend. won't be long now.

OP
N
Thread Starter #13
Painted!

Alot of progress this weekend, got all prep work done working Friday and Saturday morning, cleaned the shop Saturday after noon and was able to paint sunday.

Powerwashed the shop and stapled up plastic
FIST ZI.jpg
FIST ZJ.jpg

In the photo below you can notice the seam sealer added to the 1/4 panel

FIST ZK.jpg

Sealer

FIST ZL.jpg
FIST ZM.jpg

Color

FIST ZN.jpg
FIST ZO.jpg

Cleared

FIST ZR.jpg
FIST ZS.jpg
FIST ZT.jpg

one thing I wasn't expecting when i went to get paint is i thought that shadow black was just black, as it turned out that it has a very very very faint amount of blue pearl/flake in it. never noticed this but it did make this paint a little more expensive then expected. looks great but the only time you notice it is under a flashlight at the right angle at night. I hope to get this thing mostly put back together next weekend.

OP
N
Thread Starter #15
I was able to get the car assembled this weekend for the most part. The local paint and body stores didn't have any clips for the rocker moldings so i was not able to get those on, also needed to order weather strip for both LH doors and a front bumper ford emblem then it will be done. This week I will get it inspected and back on the road. Hopefully next week i will be able to sit down and get everything added up to let you all know how much I have into it in total.

FIST ZU.jpg

FIST ZV.jpg

FIST ZW.jpg

FIST ZX.jpg

FIST ZY.jpg

I took it for a quick spin this morning and was impressed and happy with everything no problems at all. I am really looking forward to having this as my daily driver.

O'Reilly Auto Parts stocks rocker molding clips. They are Dorman (pn 464741BP) GM Rocker Moulding Retainers. They are slightly, slightly larger than the Ford part but will work. Great (re)build. I'm in the middle of a FiST rebuild and your thread was inspirational. Thanks for sharing!

PS I also 3D modeled some with hopes of using 3d printer for them but PLA (material) is too rigid/not strong enough: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2563559

OP
N
Thread Starter #18
Thank you everyone, I finally got everything i need to finish the car so i should have it finished up completely next weekend.

OP
N
Thread Starter #19
Another quick update, since a few were interested in the total cost to rebuild the car. Below is a breakdown with brief descriptions and part numbers, if you are interested to see what all i had to replace. A few parts like the intercooler and mirror I purchased from members here on the forum, thank you to those of you that helped me out.

Fiesta Parts Breakdown.jpg

I purchased the car for $6,000 plus the, call it $3000 for parts, so I have $9000 into it. It took me around 4 months of working every other or every third weekend doing all the work myself. I did end up spending a little more then I originally thought I would. The extra cost was worth it to me to stay with all OEM parts though. I plan to keep this car as a daily driver for a long time. If there are any other questions I would be happy to answer.

I have been driving the car for a month now and have really enjoyed it as my daily driver it has been exactly what I wanted. I definitely don't regret the purchase. The pros of the car far exceed going over budget, right now at least. I have installed Rally Armor mud flaps and a rear motor mount since the last update.

$9K for a $16K car is pretty sweet deal. The longer you keep it, the more it works out too -- taxes, depreciation, etc.

I got my wrecked '14 back on the road for around $5K altogether (including fees and cost of car). Salvage is a great option if you have the guts, knowledge, cash and time. Also, it's rewarding to look at a car that you basically brought back from the dead! Finally, cars like the Fiesta are great candidates due to the availability and affordability of common parts (ST-specific parts, not so much).

Shoutout to discountfordpartsfromsoundford.net for OEM parts!

Edit: here's the breakdown for my car...

Last edited: