Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

oil leaks found and repaired.(shifter Tower)

bdarrach

Oil leak seems to be repaired, removed the shifting tower, replaced the o-ring, also used 1207B Ducati bond at the mating surfaces. Exhausted and ready to go to sleep.
Do you have part numbers by chance? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Do you have part numbers by chance? I can't seem to find them anywhere.
I just got done reading his whole ordeal. The O-ring can't be bought separately but as a whole unit with the shift tower. He was just lucky he had an assortment of random orings and one was the size needed. Just look up "fiesta st shifter tower" in google and the parts pop right up. Best I can do for any info I garnered. Best of luck and happy driving.

bdarrach

Since no one on any Fiesta forum on the internet has shared actual part numbers, allow me. Got in touch with my local dealership the other day and was able to finally get a part number that matched for my car.

Googling "shift tower" doesn't work because that's not the part on question. This is for a 2014 Fiesta ST, not sure if the part number will be the same for multiple years or not, but at least you have a correct number to start with.

Ford Part Number (AV6Z-7201-D)
I attached the diagram the dealership sent me as well.

The small vent cap in my case also needs replaced because 3 of the 4 tabs on the bottom that hold it into the housing are broken off. The part number for that is (CV6Z-7L282-A)

Hope this helps, if anyone is interested I can do a full right up with pictures on replacing these parts.

Attachments

Last edited:

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Since no one on any Fiesta forum on the internet has shared actual part numbers, allow me. Got in touch with my local dealership the other day and was able to finally get a part number that matched for my car.

Googling "shift tower" doesn't work because that's not the part on question. This is for a 2014 Fiesta ST, not sure if the part number will be the same for multiple years or not, but at least you have a correct number to start with.

The small vent cap in my case also needs replaced because 3 of the 4 tabs on the bottom that hold it into the housing are broken off. The part number for that is (CV6Z-7L282-A)

Hope this helps, if anyone is interested I can do a full right up with pictures on replacing these parts.
I bet that was a PITA to replace

Sorry to bump this old thread, but used this as a resource to do my own o-ring replacement and wanted to supply some info that might be valuable to others.

I used a 70mm OD, 66mm ID, 2.0mm width nitrile o-ring - Amazon link, but this will probably change/expire
I also tried a 70mm OD, 65.2mm ID, 2.4mm width Viton/FKM o-ring but it was too fat and I didn't want to force it in.

The o-ring I used was very slightly looser than the factory o-ring but is working and doesn't appear to be leaking so far, but I think an ideal size would be 68-69mm OD, 64-65mm ID, 2.0mm width, if you could find that. If I were to do it all over again I would try these 69mm OD, 65.2mm ID, 1.9mm width Viton rings.

nino

Hey, I'm also having a similar problem with transmission oil/vapor seeping through the shifter tower (via the o-ring or the vent cap, or maybe via both). If you have a chance and can provide more details on the procedure, I'd love to follow a how-to with pictures before attempting to replace the part myself. I know how to remove the airbox and battery in order to get to that area (as I already replaced my transmission mount twice), but I feel unsure about how to replace the vent cap and o-ring and reinstalling the tower, as some of the involved components seem to be brittle. How do you get the old vent cap out of the housing and the new one in? Also, does the housing come out of the transmission without applying force once you loosen the bolts? Any pitfalls to avoid during the process? Thanks in advance!

I'd love to follow a how-to with pictures before attempting to replace the part myself. I know how to remove the airbox and battery in order to get to that area (as I already replaced my transmission mount twice), but I feel unsure about how to replace the vent cap and o-ring and reinstalling the tower, as some of the involved components seem to be brittle. How do you get the old vent cap out of the housing and the new one in? Also, does the housing come out of the transmission without applying force once you loosen the bolts? Any pitfalls to avoid during the process? Thanks in advance!
It looks from the service manual there are just those two bolts securing the selector mechanism assembly to the transmission housing, and then it just lifts straight up:

removal.jpg

The O-ring is supposed to be lubricated with transmission fluid and is meant to be reused if not damanged according to the service manual. Install illustrations:
install.jpg

nino

It looks from the service manual there are just those two bolts securing the selector mechanism assembly to the transmission housing, and then it just lifts straight up:

View attachment 60458

The O-ring is supposed to be lubricated with transmission fluid and is meant to be reused if not damanged according to the service manual. Install illustrations:
View attachment 60459
Thank you for the feedback, this is helpful! What about replacing the vent cap? I know it can be purchased individually, but can I just pull out the old one from above and push a new one into the hole? Maybe once I get the whole assembly in my hands it will be clear, but I'd just like to be sure of the process before getting to that point, as this car is my daily :D If the locking tabs at the bottom of the vent are accessible from underneath, I can also push the old cap out of the housing from below. I'm not sure about the US market, but here in Europe it looks like I can purchase both the O-ring and the vent cap individually, so my plan would be to reuse thew old housing and only replace the parts that are likely responsible for the seepage, if that makes sense...

I've never done it myself, so I'm not sure. I just found that section of the shop manual and annotated it to share here. @bdarrach might be able to add more from experience.

Thank you for the feedback, this is helpful! What about replacing the vent cap? I know it can be purchased individually, but can I just pull out the old one from above and push a new one into the hole? Maybe once I get the whole assembly in my hands it will be clear, but I'd just like to be sure of the process before getting to that point, as this car is my daily :D If the locking tabs at the bottom of the vent are accessible from underneath, I can also push the old cap out of the housing from below. I'm not sure about the US market, but here in Europe it looks like I can purchase both the O-ring and the vent cap individually, so my plan would be to reuse thew old housing and only replace the parts that are likely responsible for the seepage, if that makes sense...
My vent cap wasn't currently leaking so I didn't specifically check or remove that part. But given how easy the whole gear selector mechanism is to remove (just pull up and wiggle a bit if it gets caught), I would pull the whole assembly then use a trim removal tool to pop the vent off. That way if the clips break they don't fall down into the transmission.