Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

On my SECOND engine - 300 Miles in the knocking sound is back!

Izzy

I agree the second video sounds normal...or maybe we all have knocking!! lol

JasonHaven

Wow, leave for a few weeks and come back to 6 pages of comments. To everyone who has similar issues, my attempts to use this entire near 5 month ordeal to pinpoint the issue and help the community has failed. Ford is incompetent in every realm of technical service and customer follow up.

Update: Dealer verified the same noise is back and is the same noise that led to engine replacement #1 from a Ford Engineer.

Corporate called me a day after the dealer verified and gave me the almost carbon copy corporate script. They're not willing to even attempt to get me out of this vehicle. They are only willing to continuously tear my car apart while the dealer service record racks up records on a future vehicle report and I already have to explain why the odometer doesn't match the engine. Lady swore up and down if for sure have a call back with an update about what Ford was going to do by Wednesday. No call as of today.

I got printouts of all my service trips and have kept every voicemail from Ford and the dealer. If Ford tells me to pound sand again legal action is coming.

FORD CORPORATE IS CRIMINALLY PATHETIC. I know another guy going through total hell right now with a loaded Ford vehicle, brand new. I heard one of the voicemails he got from Ford, SAME LADY, SAME script. Ford doesn't care dick about their customers or each situation. They just want you to go away quietly while you continue to get fisted. Heard it right from the dealers mouth, they said "when it comes to corporate they are clueless with working with their own dealers. The left hand doesn't know what the right is doing."

And please Ford Service who's on these boards, feel free to pass it on that I'm going to continue to give Ford all the "free advertising" I possibly can.
Best way to get Ford Service's attention here is to 'mention' them... [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION]

I agree the second video sounds normal...or maybe we all have knocking!! lol
https://youtu.be/4MidX6XxZQc

This is my car. It only does it when warmed up and it's done it since it was brand new. It's a 2015 built around March/April IIRC.

Given the fact that several people say there's sounds the same and they all happen to be on this forum, I'm guessing it's normal. Otherwise those are some crazy odds....

If it's not normal though, I've got a bone to pick.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That is me....but ...I

Fixed the noise by myself....as everyone else has...and i went to RMM and never looked back. I've found competent dealers and incompetent ones. It takes time and research but things can be accomplished if you travel the right avenues. Like I said if you want buttery smooth buy a Ferrari or that killer huracan lamborghini that dude crashed in a post on here.

https://youtu.be/4MidX6XxZQc

This is my car. It only does it when warmed up and it's done it since it was brand new. It's a 2015 built around March/April IIRC.

Given the fact that several people say there's sounds the same and they all happen to be on this forum, I'm guessing it's normal. Otherwise those are some crazy odds....

If it's not normal though, I've got a bone to pick.
Yea mine makes that noise sometimes at a stop and when switching gears.... Consensus is it's fairly normAl... I believe it's the flywheel

It's an odd noise and it has a bit of a rhythm to it. I would think if it was something with the engine it would make a constant knocking sound rather than sort of following a pattern...

No idea what it is, but it is definitely only after the engine warms up on mine...

It's an odd noise and it has a bit of a rhythm to it. I would think if it was something with the engine it would make a constant knocking sound rather than sort of following a pattern...

No idea what it is, but it is definitely only after the engine warms up on mine...
I have the exact same noise and noticed it after about 1k miles were on the vehicle. At 11k now and the car runs fine, same as you, the sound is only present after the vehicle is warmed up, and immediately goes away once revved a bit. How many miles are on your car now?

I have the exact same noise and noticed it after about 1k miles were on the vehicle. At 11k now and the car runs fine, same as you, the sound is only present after the vehicle is warmed up, and immediately goes away once revved a bit. How many miles are on your car now?
Somewhere between 18 and 19k. Yeah, if you give it the absolutest smallest amount of revs it goes away, so I figure it's normal. If it was a tolerance or bearing issue or something of that nature it would probably get worse with revs.... It's only when it's at a steady idle.

OP
O
Thread Starter #69
The whole purpose of me diving into this endeavor 4+ months ago was to help Ford get to the bottom of this issue. Truth is Ford themselves don't know if the issue will lead to a failure of any kind, which is why they replaced the entire longblock on my car. New engine does it as well. Engineers don't know what is causing it, but it's a small sampling of all FIST out there so I wouldn't say its in any way normal.

I never said the dealer was bad. They've been the single bright spot in this whole process. Unfortunately corporate calls all the shots and authorizes all the work and process once a vehicle problem case gets to this level. And they flat out BLOW.

I'm not trying to call anyone in the forum out on the carpet, tell you your opinions are wrong, or anything like that. My frustrations are with Ford alone. Logging my experience is meant to just bring information to the table that may help someone in the future. I hope Ford, at this point, will do the right thing and get me out of this one. I'd hate to see what a carfax report would look like if someone ran one on my car....like a herpes fest of dealer visits and a motor that doesn't match my odometer. Can't tell me that's not going to crush resale value.

Lesson learned, don't ever buy with ford even at 0%. Lease - then when crap like this happens it honestly wouldn't be difficult to just chalk it up to bad luck and drive the car without concern.

In this situation, that's not a reality and I refuse to just take a fisting from Ford.

btw my car currently has just under 1k on the new motor at this point. Around 5500 total.

OP
O
Thread Starter #70
Best way to get Ford Service's attention here is to 'mention' them... [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION]
Thanks. They can only escalate it to the regional rep level where I've already been at. I appreciate the tag but there's nothing they can do for me at this point and I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to get in the middle of it.

The whole purpose of me diving into this endeavor 4+ months ago was to help Ford get to the bottom of this issue. Truth is Ford themselves don't know if the issue will lead to a failure of any kind, which is why they replaced the entire longblock on my car. New engine does it as well. Engineers don't know what is causing it, but it's a small sampling of all FIST out there so I wouldn't say its in any way normal.

I never said the dealer was bad. They've been the single bright spot in this whole process. Unfortunately corporate calls all the shots and authorizes all the work and process once a vehicle problem case gets to this level. And they flat out BLOW.

I'm not trying to call anyone in the forum out on the carpet, tell you your opinions are wrong, or anything like that. My frustrations are with Ford alone. Logging my experience is meant to just bring information to the table that may help someone in the future. I hope Ford, at this point, will do the right thing and get me out of this one. I'd hate to see what a carfax report would look like if someone ran one on my car....like a herpes fest of dealer visits and a motor that doesn't match my odometer. Can't tell me that's not going to crush resale value.

Lesson learned, don't ever buy with ford even at 0%. Lease - then when crap like this happens it honestly wouldn't be difficult to just chalk it up to bad luck and drive the car without concern.

In this situation, that's not a reality and I refuse to just take a fisting from Ford.

btw my car currently has just under 1k on the new motor at this point. Around 5500 total.
I'm not trying to be an ass, but how do you know it is actually an issue? I mean I get Ford replaced it, but if it's doing the same thing again, couldn't it just be normal? I'm not saying one way or another, but you do have quite a few people chiming in on here saying their's does the same thing. Pretty slim odds for people to all have the same issue and be present on the same forum unless this is a wide spread issue and Ford messed up a bunch of engines... On the other hand though, the fact that they were willing to replace can't be a great sign...

I'm curious how you know it's only a small sample? I bet most people don't drive their car to full operating temperature, then park it and listen for noises like that, especially because it's not super loud or noticeable unless you're really listening for it or you're underneath the car. I'll ask some of my buddies if they have the same noise, one for sure said he does. The other wasn't sure.

Again, I'm not arguing with you and totally understand your frustration, just thinking out loud/processing...

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Have the others with noises try pushing in the clutch and see of the noise persists ?

OP
O
Thread Starter #73
I'm not trying to be an ass, but how do you know it is actually an issue? I mean I get Ford replaced it, but if it's doing the same thing again, couldn't it just be normal? I'm not saying one way or another, but you do have quite a few people chiming in on here saying their's does the same thing. Pretty slim odds for people to all have the same issue and be present on the same forum unless this is a wide spread issue and Ford messed up a bunch of engines... On the other hand though, the fact that they were willing to replace can't be a great sign...

I'm curious how you know it's only a small sample? I bet most people don't drive their car to full operating temperature, then park it and listen for noises like that, especially because it's not super loud or noticeable unless you're really listening for it or you're underneath the car. I'll ask some of my buddies if they have the same noise, one for sure said he does. The other wasn't sure.

Again, I'm not arguing with you and totally understand your frustration, just thinking out loud/processing...
Hey, thinking out loud isn't a crime.

I say it's a small sampling because majority of people don't have the issue. This is a large forum base, so a few chiming in saying they notice similar symptoms out of the total member base is a minority.

The sound isn't something you have to really stretch your ear for. You come to a stop, like in your driveway....drivethrough, etc and the knocking is clear as day. The fact Ford sent an engineer from Detroit and he spent less than 7 minutes listening to it before authorizing an entire new longblock is sign to me they A) know this is an issue popping up and B) have no idea what's causing it.

Have the others with noises try pushing in the clutch and see of the noise persists ?
From what I can tell, mine only happens at idle when the car is fully warmed up. You give it a hair of gas and it goes away.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Talked with a friend of mine who is a Ford Automotive Engineer....he said it's very....very unlikely that the engine was bad. Everything is pretty well controlled when making the product especially engines. He said if you were to see the whole process from start to finish you would understand why it most likely wasn't an engine issue but more of I "think" I hear something and I have seen things replaced at the dealers because the manufacturer doesn't want to get everyone all whipped up and into a frenzy saying their engine is bad also. But a second engine that is also bad....Is like rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic. Virtually impossible. But hey he is just an Engineer....what would he know?[confused]

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Honestly, in general, people are WAY too picky over this car. It's a Fiesta! It's gonna have a crappy interior, it's gonna be noisy, it may not have the smoothest ride. But it does what it was designed to pretty damn well....

"I paid Fiesta money but I want the interior of a Bentley and the handling of a Lotus and the powah of a Hellcat"

some people will never be pleased.
First.... I'm with him 100% on that. The end.

As far as the noise? My engne and trans makes all kinds of noise. My trans makes all kinds of noise. I don't really give a crap, its a $1,000 engine. I've driven a lot with the cowling off and tje DI stuff is wicked loud at different temps ans different engine/oil temps. These things are damn close to 7k rpm diesel engines that run on gasoline.

The issue of ford not fixing it?? Doesn't surprise me in the least. They fight EVERYTHING. So super glad I didn't drop that $44,000.00 on a ecoboost F-150 2 years ago !!! I've had friends with that POS dry clutch DSG focus trans just be dragged up and down, up and down, up and down after getting those things actually fixed ( which I believe is not possible ). And in the end, ford corn holed one guy and the other guy corn holed ford, both ended up in FOST's. One bent over and took giant value hits on his trade in and payed way way way too much for a fost. The other sued ford since they would not lemon the car, and they PROVED they were not capable of fixing it. He got $7500 cash, then stopped paying on it, handed the keys back to ford motor credit, then filed bankruptcy, and bought a $32k Fost in cash. Now when he takes tje fost in for warranty work, shit just gets fixed, no one tried to screw with him. What happens to you is... Up to you.

Factory engines are insanely likely to be great. The chances of getting 2 in a row that take a crap, is just crazy. What is not crazy is the something else between the frame rails could be the cause, while the broken engine is the results. Replacing the "long block" leaves a lot of old parts bolted to a new engine.

I'm sure being a REAL ford tech is a tuff job. Lots and lots of parts. A good amount of different engines etc.

The issue is... They rarely have REAL techs. If I had a 25k mile fist and the engine went bad and ford warrantied it, I'd rather them find me an assembled engine/trans from a wrecked fist to drop into my car vs having some "un-known factor" tech completely disassemble what is likely his first turbocharged engine EVER, and then expect that he would do everything just like it would be done at the factory ( often, that's not even possible due to tooling, like how the headbolts and wheel lugs are torqued on all at the sametime ).

I've just known and seen too many "poor" level mechanics working as "techs" at ford dealers making shit money. I do know for sure they have some really great techs too, but as is often the case in most jobs, the really good guys get promoted, and there job is now to baby sit the new/crappy guys. You end up with 2.5 guys that know WTF they are doing, and they are really good techs, and 23 guys that think a "spanner wrench" is something you use to working bridges with. And those 23 guys are amazing at changing oil in the quick lane, but have no REAL idea how a turbo system even works in some basic ways, let a lone how to troubleshoot acute turbo car issues. Couple that with those 23 guys really really hating FWD turbo cars, along with the 2.5 guys that know wtf is going, hating fwd turbo cars, and you've got problems.

If ford would have offered me 500 miles of bumper to bumper warranty and $700 or 3 year 36k and no money. I would have taken the $700 and came out $600 ahead of them.

And its not just ford. This is EVERY SINGLE CAR DEALERSHIP. Its Mazda. Its Chevy. Its Honda. Its dodge. Every single car has issues and every single INSANELY PROFITABLE car manufacture does everything they can to put off repair until your out of warranty or you get frustrated and ironically trade in your almost new car on ANOTHER NEW CAR FROM THE SAME SHITTY CAR MAKER.

I really hope Tesla puts every car builder on the planet out of business, just because the dealership network thing making car so much more expensive than they have to be, and there is just this HUGE industry of people gets very rich off of making nothing, and almost doing nothing. If you put a $20 in 5 different pockets and walked from one side of a show room to the other, all 5 pockets would be empty by the time you got to the other side. That's how a $30k car turns into a $46k car you pay on for 7 years. What is the dealer really doing? They park cars, be a middle man, piss customers off at service, rape people in the finance room ( that's what my ex wife does at a local ford dealer, and I'm being literal and figurative, lol ), sell them nearly meaningless extra warranties that have a 200% mark up.

Let me put it this way....
If you could order your next F-150 online like you order a pizza now. And instead of it costing $48,500.00, it could cost $31,320.00 and it would show up 3 weeks later, would you make that deal ? I'd damn sure take a $14K loaded fist over a $25k one if I could order it like a pizza.

What's the only difference ? The dealership. They wouldn't get a huge cut. They wouldn't add interest points to your loan that the bank didn't ask for, but the salesmen and fin people just added on for extra profit ( in cash upfront in there pockets btw ).

Its just all wrong from the street to trash bins in the back. We don't need them.

Greedy greedy people. And Ford/Chevy/honda/yota. They all let it happen. There bank arms are some of the worst offenders.

Rant..... Over..... Shew.... If you knew all the inside info like I do on car dealerships, you'd hate them as much as I do. If people only knew. They THINK they know... They don't know the 1/2 of it.

L

As far as the noise? My engne and trans makes all kinds of noise. My trans makes all kinds of noise. I don't really give a crap, its a $1,000 engine. I've driven a lot with the cowling off and tje DI stuff is wicked loud at different temps ans different engine/oil temps. These things are damn close to 7k rpm diesel engines that run on gasoline.

The issue of ford not fixing it?? Doesn't surprise me in the least. They fight EVERYTHING. So super glad I didn't drop that $44,000.00 on a ecoboost F-150 2 years ago !!! I've had friends with that POS dry clutch DSG focus trans just be dragged up and down, up and down, up and down after getting those things actually fixed ( which I believe is not possible ). And in the end, ford corn holed one guy and the other guy corn holed ford, both ended up in FOST's. One bent over and took giant value hits on his trade in and payed way way way too much for a fost. The other sued ford since they would not lemon the car, and they PROVED they were not capable of fixing it. He got $7500 cash, then stopped paying on it, handed the keys back to ford motor credit, then filed bankruptcy, and bought a $32k Fost in cash. Now when he takes tje fost in for warranty work, shit just gets fixed, no one tried to screw with him. What happens to you is... Up to you.

Factory engines are insanely likely to be great. The chances of getting 2 in a row that take a crap, is just crazy. What is not crazy is the something else between the frame rails could be the cause, while the broken engine is the results. Replacing the "long block" leaves a lot of old parts bolted to a new engine.

I'm sure being a REAL ford tech is a tuff job. Lots and lots of parts. A good amount of different engines etc.

The issue is... They rarely have REAL techs. If I had a 25k mile fist and the engine went bad and ford warrantied it, I'd rather them find me an assembled engine/trans from a wrecked fist to drop into my car vs having some "un-known factor" tech completely disassemble what is likely his first turbocharged engine EVER, and then expect that he would do everything just like it would be done at the factory ( often, that's not even possible due to tooling, like how the headbolts and wheel lugs are torqued on all at the sametime ).

I've just known and seen too many "poor" level mechanics working as "techs" at ford dealers making shit money. I do know for sure they have some really great techs too, but as is often the case in most jobs, the really good guys get promoted, and there job is now to baby sit the new/crappy guys. You end up with 2.5 guys that know WTF they are doing, and they are really good techs, and 23 guys that think a "spanner wrench" is something you use to working bridges with. And those 23 guys are amazing at changing oil in the quick lane, but have no REAL idea how a turbo system even works in some basic ways, let a lone how to troubleshoot acute turbo car issues. Couple that with those 23 guys really really hating FWD turbo cars, along with the 2.5 guys that know wtf is going, hating fwd turbo cars, and you've got problems.

If ford would have offered me 500 miles of bumper to bumper warranty and $700 or 3 year 36k and no money. I would have taken the $700 and came out $600 ahead of them.

And its not just ford. This is EVERY SINGLE CAR DEALERSHIP. Its Mazda. Its Chevy. Its Honda. Its dodge. Every single car has issues and every single INSANELY PROFITABLE car manufacture does everything they can to put off repair until your out of warranty or you get frustrated and ironically trade in your almost new car on ANOTHER NEW CAR FROM THE SAME SHITTY CAR MAKER.

I really hope Tesla puts every car builder on the planet out of business, just because the dealership network thing making car so much more expensive than they have to be, and there is just this HUGE industry of people gets very rich off of making nothing, and almost doing nothing. If you put a $20 in 5 different pockets and walked from one side of a show room to the other, all 5 pockets would be empty by the time you got to the other side. That's how a $30k car turns into a $46k car you pay on for 7 years. What is the dealer really doing? They park cars, be a middle man, piss customers off at service, rape people in the finance room ( that's what my ex wife does at a local ford dealer, and I'm being literal and figurative, lol ), sell them nearly meaningless extra warranties that have a 200% mark up.

If you could order your next F-150 online like you order a pizza now. And instead of it costing $48,500.00, it could cost $31,320.00 and it would show up 3 weeks later, would you make that deal ? I'd damn sure take a $14K loaded fist over a $25k one if I could order it like a pizza.

What's the only difference ? The dealership. They wouldn't get a huge cut. They wouldn't add interest points to your loan that the bank didn't ask for, but the salesmen and fin people just added on for extra profit ( in cash upfront in there pockets btw ).

Its just all wrong from the street to trash bins in the back. We don't need them.

Greedy greedy people. And Ford/Chevy/honda/yota. They all let it happen. There bank arms are some of the worst offenders.

Rant..... Over..... Shew.... If you knew all the inside info like I do on car dealerships, you'd hate them as much as I do. If people only knew. They THINK they know... They don't know the 1/2 of it.
I thought our engine and suspension is basically what we're paying for ? The fost engine is like 8k is ours rly only a 1k engine? Lol at the ex wife, and I fucking hate dealerships to... It's painfully obvious they don't give a shit about anything.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
L

I thought our engine and suspension is basically what we're paying for ? The fost engine is like 8k is ours rly only a 1k engine?
Our engine assembly is like $3,000-$3500 or something like that. The fost engine is like $6,500-$6800. If you know where to look, you can find fist engines for $1,000-,$1500 used.

After what I've put mine through already, I'd say used is a good option. Almost no way they could do as much mean driving/tuning on it as I have... I feel the same way about people who want to buy a brand new fist so that it won't be "all modded out and messed up". So baically, you want to pay way more money to screw a car up yourself, instead of way less money to buy an almost new car that is already modded.

Jeeps are like that.... Everyone wants to buy a jeep that is stock to mod it. Its a POS jeep wrangler !!! Its gonna fall apart no matter who owned it or modded it, so may as well save yourself $10k and buy one all modded out for the same price as that stock one, lol.

depends on where you go. at least, out here in socal, theres ford of orange.

seriously ask for mary doyle. coolest service writer ever. high quality human being. can't say enough about her.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
The direct injection is what we are paying for on our engine and that Bosch ECU. The turbo is cheap. The manifold doesn't fit. The trans is FREAKING AWESOME. Tiny parts bin brakes, lol. But we all do realize the fiesta Titanium cost more than a fist, right? They don't even get the engine.... Or great trans.