Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

On my SECOND engine - 300 Miles in the knocking sound is back!

See the JIGSAW post in this same thread for the full story.

Where it all started - 163 miles on the car back in August: https://youtu.be/ttVizRqwyYM

Update, new engine went in after over 3 months of pathetic runaround and zero attempts to fix my car. Seven trips to the dealer (may have been more, I lost count), getting stood up by Ford's Engineer the first time, and then and only then after THEIR engineer finally did come in person to diagnose and approve repair.

Picked it up on January 8th. Got a call from Corporate on the 11th saying how happy they were I had gotten resolution and how they were offering me a "no cost to me 5 year 75k warranty".....please. Glad I waited to return the call, I knew I want to get a few tanks of gas through before releasing judgement. I am almost through first tank....and:

Knocking sound has returned https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URmEZCQbgkw&feature=youtu.be

Time for Ford to buy this lemon back. Credit to the dealership, they've tried and have done their best to facilitate the process but Ford corporate makes the entire brand pathetic. Talking to Ford's elevated customer service people is like listening to a telemarketer recite the phonebook.

PUT THE CORPORATE SCRIPT DOWN and make this situation right.

PhoenixM3

See the JIGSAW post in this same thread for the full story.

Where it all started - 163 miles on the car back in August: https://youtu.be/ttVizRqwyYM

Update, new engine went in after over 3 months of pathetic runaround and zero attempts to fix my car. Seven trips to the dealer (may have been more, I lost count), getting stood up by Ford's Engineer the first time, and then and only then after THEIR engineer finally did come in person to diagnose and approve repair.

Picked it up on January 8th. Got a call from Corporate on the 11th saying how happy they were I had gotten resolution and how they were offering me a "no cost to me 5 year 75k warranty".....please. Glad I waited to return the call, I knew I want to get a few tanks of gas through before releasing judgement. I am almost through first tank....and:

Knocking sound has returned https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URmEZCQbgkw&feature=youtu.be

Time for Ford to buy this lemon back. Credit to the dealership, they've tried and have done their best to facilitate the process but Ford corporate makes the entire brand pathetic. Talking to Ford's elevated customer service people is like listening to a telemarketer recite the phonebook.

PUT THE CORPORATE SCRIPT DOWN and make this situation right.
Try keeping the RPM under 9K on the third motor. Sorry, couldn't resist. I have never heard of two motors failing in such short order. On the first engine, did you get notified of the nature of the engine failure? Any metal in the oil, etc...

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
My car always sounds like that. Runs fine, has been tuned, has been to the dealer for other issues. I think you're just paranoid and not used to DI cars.

Just drive it dude. Mat the pedal, smile and be done with it. Your case is an anomaly and 2 bad engines is likely not to happen unless you are overevving the motor. That sound you hear is typical in direct injection motors,

twolf

Honestly, in general, people are WAY too picky over this car. It's a Fiesta! It's gonna have a crappy interior, it's gonna be noisy, it may not have the smoothest ride. But it does what it was designed to pretty damn well....

"I paid Fiesta money but I want the interior of a Bentley and the handling of a Lotus and the powah of a Hellcat"

some people will never be pleased.

Rhinopolis

To help the OP, I will post a video of what mine sounds like sometime this weekend. My car is at close to 3200 miles, has been modified, and has a pro tune.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I know there is no convincing the OP but I want others to make sure they have the correct information. There is no knocking in the second video (either due to not being present or video quality/camera not picking it up). I had some some similar "knocking" within the first 1000 miles. Some was due the to DI (new to me) other was due to normal engine wearing in. After 15k miles it has smoothed out considerably and now I know how it should sound. Parts (especially engines) need to wear in together before they become efficient and flow properly. This can take a little longer if using full synthetic. However I have to agree with most here, this is normal, and for such an inexpensive car the value/fun received is great. Smash the pedal and have fun.

twolf

To get truly scientific, we need to find out what phone op has and do our best to replicate conditions. For example, I have an iPhone 6+ with no case on it. If someone else had the same setup as me and we both recorded videos, and then uploaded them straight to YouTube, we could easily compare apples to apples. IMO it does sound a little noisy in the video, but who's to say it's not just the camera? Those are my thoughts.

OP
O
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for the comments. To put some of the assumptions to rest; This is not my first DI engine. No I don't over rev the motor. Followed normal break in procedure and drive it spirited sometimes but DD it on the highway most days.

The underlying sound in that video that almost sounds like someone tapping a wrench on the side of the block is what I'm referencing. It's not as prominent, yet, as the first motor but it's already returned. Maybe I'll just run another tank through it and wait for it to get even louder.

A ford engineer himself was brought in for the first motor and his expert opinion warranted an entire new long block, so I'll let that speak for itself.

I've heard plenty of ST's in person that do not do this. If I had leased this car, then whatever. But I bought it. And I already have to explain to a potential buyer that it's not the original engine. To ford, this is a kick in the bucket and should just buy this anomaly back so I can move on.

They're right though, those are two different knocking sounds.
The second noise mine makes occasionally when it's fully warm and idling low. Sometimes it sounds pretty close to a knock but it goes away completely as soon as it's revved above idle.

OP
O
Thread Starter #13
They're right though, those are two different knocking sounds.
The second noise mine makes occasionally when it's fully warm and idling low. Sometimes it sounds pretty close to a knock but it goes away completely as soon as it's revved above idle.
So did the knocking sound with motor #1.

Trust me guys, it's the exact same sound that warranted motor replacement #1, just not as loud yet.

DaveG99

I would be worried about that sound on the second video. Doesnt sound right to me.

OP
O
Thread Starter #16
Try keeping the RPM under 9K on the third motor. Sorry, couldn't resist. I have never heard of two motors failing in such short order. On the first engine, did you get notified of the nature of the engine failure? Any metal in the oil, etc...
They were sending it back to Ford to diagnose. I don't know if I'll ever hear what comes of that teardown...

twolf

A ford engineer himself was brought in for the first motor and his expert opinion warranted an entire new long block, so I'll let that speak for itself.
I never questioned your first motor. But in the second video I don't hear the same sound as the first, by any means.

you think Ford is replacing engines for normal DI noises?
Never said this. But the likelihood of having two bad engines in a row is like, nil?

I never questioned your first motor. But in the second video I don't hear the same sound as the first, by any means.

Never said this. But the likelihood of having two bad engines in a row is like, nil?
I'm not sure what he want's to hear from us at this point. He's probably just going to keep replacing engines until he gives up.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
To get truly scientific, we need to find out what phone op has and do our best to replicate conditions. For example, I have an iPhone 6+ with no case on it. If someone else had the same setup as me and we both recorded videos, and then uploaded them straight to YouTube, we could easily compare apples to apples. IMO it does sound a little noisy in the video, but who's to say it's not just the camera? Those are my thoughts.
I have iPhone 6+ too. At the moment my car is only intake, catback, Cobb stage1. Want to compare? :)

twolf

I have iPhone 6+ too. At the moment my car is only intake, catback, Cobb stage1. Want to compare? :)
Sure, take your case off. Record a video with the phone horizontally, the home button on the right side. Start sitting in the driver seat, then move to the front of the car and put the phone (still horizontally) about a foot from the Ford oval. :)

Then upload the video to YouTube using the YouTube app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCwNBV9fJOk

Intake/CB/RMM