Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Over heated, engine noise?

Hey so i just bought my 2017 fiesta ST, 2 days ago. Car has 47k on the odo. I was unaware that these cars had terrible factory radiators (planning on mishimoto rad and fan ASAP) and yesterday, I tacked out the temp guage by accident going up a long steep hill with the ac on, on a 100° day.

Since then, i’ve notice a sound that is kind of like buzzing, kind of like rattling coming from the engine bay while driving, it is very faint, but can be heard with the radio off, and from 1st - 4th gears up to ~ 3200rpms.

i will admit, i’ve been hyper focused on this as i’ve never owned a car newer than a 2001, let alone a direct injection and i have a feeling it could possibly be that, but i’m coming to the fiesta from a 2001 subaru impreza that has traumatized me with a blown radiator, water pump, thermostat, and a head gasket all at separate times so i’m understandably jumpy.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but if someone could please tell me whether or not i’m just paranoid and this is just normal fiesta noises, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Also the idle with AC off is slightly erratic, and there is a separate ticking noise from the injectors on the drivers side of the motor while listening to it run with the hood up. From my research, i’ve found the fuel purge valve is a common problem with these cars. Could this all be due to that?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Did the car enter limp mode? It’s almost impossible to comment on sounds without a recording. Can you take a video and post to YouTube or something?

OP
wrx-std
Thread Starter #3
Did the car enter limp mode? It’s almost impossible to comment on sounds without a recording. Can you take a video and post to YouTube or something?
i dont think so, i pulled over as soon as it chimed at me to let me know it had spicy coolant and it ran fine the rest of the day as long as i didnt use the AC on hills.

I changed the oil yesterday too in case it cooked, i’m not taking any chances whatsoever lol

i’ll take a video at some point today and post the link, as well as a video of it at idle to see if theres anything of concern there too

dhminer

2000 Post Club
i dont think so, i pulled over as soon as it chimed at me to let me know it had spicy coolant and it ran fine the rest of the day as long as i didnt use the AC on hills.

I changed the oil yesterday too in case it cooked, i’m not taking any chances whatsoever lol

i’ll take a video at some point today and post the link, as well as a video of it at idle to see if theres anything of concern there too
You’re probably fine if it didn’t enter limp mode. It does so pretty aggressively but definitely take a video to be sure. I’d top off and bleed the coolant as well to make sure no air bubbles got sucked in while climbing the hill. Only time I’ve ever overheated was the same scenario.

OP
wrx-std
Thread Starter #7
It's protesting the cobwebs!

But I really don't hear anything out of the ordinary on that audio.
that sigh of relief i just had was a good feeling, i took another video of it while driving as well which i will post shortly. In the meantime the spider in my strut will be evicted🕸️🕷️

Tbh y’all are much more helpful to me as a newbie than the guys on rs25.com were when i bought my impreza 😅 bunch of grumpy old “do your research/its on this site somewhere already” folks

OP
wrx-std
Thread Starter #8
Upon review of the video during operation, it seems my microphone didnt even pick up the noise i hear which leads me to believe its just engine noise.i love the exhaust the previous owner put on, but i’m trying to find a noise dammit!

I will post it here anyways just in case, pardon the blend door actuator in the beginning lol.

Attachments

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I overheated my fiesta a few weeks ago because the radiator fan quit working and I didn’t see the bars go up (I hate the oem temperature gauge). I noticed it was overheating when the over temperature light on the dash came on. I turned off my car and then plugged in my accessport to see what the actual temperature was. It was reading 246, which while definitely not good I doubt that’s high enough to cause long term damage. I assume that since you say you had all the bars your overheated light came on and then you pulled over, meaning your car probably saw similar temperatures.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Your miles are not all that high yet for this to be a problem (unless the previous owner really, really ignored oil changes), but; the High Pressure Fuel Pump itself, besides the injectors, also makes a slight 'tappet sound' even when not worn and functioning properly, as it is a flat, solid tappet riding on the bespoke cam lobe triggering it. [wink]

OP
wrx-std
Thread Starter #11
Your miles are not all that high yet for this to be a problem (unless the previous owner really, really ignored oil changes), but; the High Pressure Fuel Pump itself, besides the injectors, also makes a slight 'tappet sound' even when not worn and functioning properly, as it is a flat, solid tappet riding on the bespoke cam lobe triggering it. [wink]
so it is now my understanding that these motors are supposed to be noisy AF, and to sound kind of like a small diesel even when listening closely in the cab suring operation? Sweet, i’ll stop behing a vehicular schizo 👍🏻

i really appreciate everyone’s help on this, thank you all!

OP
wrx-std
Thread Starter #12
Also hasnt gotten any louder and upon further reconsideration, my ‘00 blazer has much louder, rattlier motor noise than this motor and it has been going strong like that for 60k mi so i’m gonna just buy an extended warranty and not worry abt it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Attachments

I have been dealing with similar issues. Definitely try to bleed the cooling system of air.

This was frustrating but it definitely helped to fix my cooling issues the first time I went through this. I replaced my fan and bled the system.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCE2kxYfl3Y&t=103s

I am currently working on part II overheating problem, after replacing the overflow. Tracking down a small leak or bad part I hope.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
so it is now my understanding that these motors are supposed to be noisy AF, and to sound kind of like a small diesel even when listening closely in the cab suring operation? Sweet, i’ll stop behing a vehicular schizo 👍🏻

i really appreciate everyone’s help on this, thank you all!

Do you still have the factory engine cover installed, or is it off currently??

That can also make a significant difference in the engine/valvetrain noises. [wink]

I finally got my car up to 210 coolant temps today. It was 99 ambient and I was driving the car very hard with an extended pull on a long open straight. Never saw more than 210 which drops down quickly to 190's and 180's on coast down to a 90mph cruise. Pretty sure I have the stock radiator. Car was modded when I got it. Radiator looks stock.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I finally got my car up to 210 coolant temps today. It was 99 ambient and I was driving the car very hard with an extended pull on a long open straight. Never saw more than 210 which drops down quickly to 190's and 180's on coast down to a 90mph cruise. Pretty sure I have the stock radiator. Car was modded when I got it. Radiator looks stock.
That doesn’t sound like a stock radiator, but I know not everyone has overheating issues. My car never overheated, but I upgraded the radiator for some peace of mind when I fixed my air conditioning.

OP
wrx-std
Thread Starter #18
That doesn’t sound like a stock radiator, but I know not everyone has overheating issues. My car never overheated, but I upgraded the radiator for some peace of mind when I fixed my air conditioning.
What radiator did you end up installing? I know a lot of people on here really like the mountune, and i heard the mishimoto is great too.

i’m gonna be doing mine soon because summer is only gonna get warmer, and i need to go up hills a lot for work. I’m really leaning towards mishimoto bc the kit comes with the fan shroud. Does mountune offer a shroud as well?

i have a tri-core mishi with the fans on my impreza and it seems to do great

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What radiator did you end up installing? I know a lot of people on here really like the mountune, and i heard the mishimoto is great too.

i’m gonna be doing mine soon because summer is only gonna get warmer, and i need to go up hills a lot for work. I’m really leaning towards mishimoto bc the kit comes with the fan shroud. Does mountune offer a shroud as well?

No the Mountune Fits the factory shroud* No need and its the Gold standard for The FiST world. [driving]

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

I went with the mountune radiator just because it’s so popular and somebody had an how-to-install thread. Like typhoon said, it uses the factory fan shroud.