Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Paint Defect (Bubbling/Corrosion/Etc) Resource Thread

Just wanted to add my own experience with respect to this issue. Have a low mile 2017 Fiesta ST and discovered hem rust under the hood (on both sides) when detailing the car. I searched this website and came across this post that pointed out other problem areas, and sure enough, I discovered hem rust on my rear hatch and 3 of the doors. My car is still under warranty until October this year, so I made an appointment with my Ford dealer (they have an in-house body shop) to get this documented and submitted for warranty repair/replace. Long story short, Ford replaced the hood, hatch, and 3 doors. They also paid for my car rental (Ford F150 crew cab with 5.0) for the week and a half that the repair took. Was really impressed that they didn't fight this at all given the significant costs involved. The paint match was perfect too.
Was gone for 1 week for work and started to hand wash my car. Bought the thing new in June 2018. I’ll update this thread with what ford says. FYI I stopped washing as soon as I noticed this.
1BA43658-AEAE-4098-B9E2-6960A35D659C.jpeg 545B8030-E5D3-4172-BD9E-8BACF0C5ED70.jpeg

Last edited:
I literally just got my roof repaired/repainted beginning of this week for exact same thing, corrosion around antenna and paint flaking off. '16, 29,000 miles and Ford wouldnt cover it. Had local body shop repair it. I will never purchase another Ford, these issues are ridicoulus. My mom bought an explorer (17 I believe) and hood bubbled. They covered hers, but this sh*t shouldnt be happening on 3-4 year old cars.

Was gone for 1 week for work and started to hand wash my car. Bought the thing new in June 2018. I’ll update this thread with what ford says. FYI I stopped washing as soon as I noticed this.
View attachment 34475 View attachment 34473
Put the stock antenna back on before you bring it in. I've heard of people being denied warranty repairs for this when they had a stubby antenna

ugh, i have the trunk, the antenna-roof, and its starting at the doors... dealer wants to send it to an affordable body shop... still under b2b 02\21. Really dissapointed, they glued my side skirts when they detached and nicked the factory applied clear film adjacent in the process. 24k miles on ODO, what a nightmare.
how can this be legal? how can a car so young rust so fast? how can a company\dealer have such hackjob repairs\build quality?
my 9 year old never garaged golf never had this, heck my 18 y\o E46 doesn't have this. I see high mileage old nissan versas with less rust and nissan is notorious for rust.

Put the stock antenna back on before you bring it in. I've heard of people being denied warranty repairs for this when they had a stubby antenna
Yeah I’m going in Tuesday and I thought of that, even though the assembly of the receiver was never touched. I’m having it detailed completely before to to avoid any potential for them to claim negligence.

I have noticed this happening in my door seams on my Shadow Black 2016, but haven’t seen rust yet. I’m also outside of my warranty at 53K miles. The only satisfactory outcome would be a class action lawsuit settlement check. Which will take some time. I feel like just with this forum alone, there is enough data for a class action suit to be filed. Add in the various Facebook groups and other forum sites posting the same issue, and the case is even more solid. This sucks. I really like this car.

Updates: both front doors were replaced and... both of them don’t fit the body correctly and bow out from the bottom; no adjustability either so my car looks terrible now. The hood and hatch are great. The passenger front door is so badly misaligned it can’t close without a slam!
Sadly I have yet to hit 30k miles... at least no corrosion but the parts don’t fit well! Car looks wrecked now, thanks Ford!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Updates: both front doors were replaced and... both of them don’t fit the body correctly and bow out from the bottom; no adjustability either so my car looks terrible now. The hood and hatch are great. The passenger front door is so badly misaligned it can’t close without a slam!
Sadly I have yet to hit 30k miles... at least no corrosion but the parts don’t fit well! Car looks wrecked now, thanks Ford!
Well....im gonna say it.....did you think about your screen name and visualize it before you saved it? I'm just wondering....its really sounds like something else.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Coming closer to sending my car to the body shop for the 4th time. 2nd time for warranty paint. I can see my roof paint starting to bubble around the antenna. Waiting for it to get worse so it's no question if it's warrantable or not.

Still have a little over a year for paint warranty. If this happens again when it's out of warranty I'll be taking it to a body shop that can fix it the first time and not have it bubble again. They did my hatch and it's doing the same thing in the same spot now so 🤷🤷🤷🤷

Well....im gonna say it.....did you think about your screen name and visualize it before you saved it? I'm just wondering....its really sounds like something else.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
i thought everybody likes chick pea spread? No.1 dip in the USA? For me hommos is the best! Try it with tortilla chips and some jalapeños.

Coming closer to sending my car to the body shop for the 4th time. 2nd time for warranty paint. I can see my roof paint starting to bubble around the antenna. Waiting for it to get worse so it's no question if it's warrantable or not.

Still have a little over a year for paint warranty. If this happens again when it's out of warranty I'll be taking it to a body shop that can fix it the first time and not have it bubble again. They did my hatch and it's doing the same thing in the same spot now so 🤷🤷🤷🤷
i hear you. They started work on mine at the beginning of the year and it is still getting stuff sorted. Ford sent two replacement front doors that don’t fit properly... and there’s no adjustment possible! My dealer has been great though, they understand that this type of corrosion/fitment is poor for such a new car.
Hood + Hatch + antenna surround look good though, they did a great job! I hope it holds up!

Again, a shame such a great car is so poorly manufactured. Will probably be my last domestic vehicle after this. Nobody has The time for these issues on such a young car. The corrosion appears to be systematic, and not a fluke. Either the initial steel quality was poor or the prep process is faulty because I’ve seen posts of 2014-2019s complaining of corrosion. Hit up the UK forums and you see the same complaints and theirs are built in Germany.

I’m seriously considering waxoil or some sort of rust prevention once the doors are finally fixed. I have a feeling in 5 years a lot of these will be off the road or rusted to pieces.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Unfortunately my car is getting worse. No salt ever zero salt.

Some paint bubbling at the doors, no rust yet on those just rust on the hatch.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
my car is at ford autobody as i type this.same issue paint bubbling around the antenna.i am at 62,000 miles so no warranty.the car is a florida car.ford blames the car wash for the rust.on their preliminary estimate it states in caps "NO GUARNTEE ON RUST REPAIRS".on the estimate they list corrision protection will be put on.total bill is 716 dollars.i for one really hope a class action lawsuit is started.

Unfortunately my car is getting worse. No salt ever zero salt.

Some paint bubbling at the doors, no rust yet on those just rust on the hatch.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

So I am on vacation reading a few threads, and wondered what mine looked like considering I never open it and never checked out back there up inside the hatch... Well well what do you know, It's exactly like yours... If I didn't buy mine new I would think the original owner did something shady in that area that is piss poor body work honestly lol.

I noticed bubbling and some rust forming on the bottom inner edge of my hatch this weekend. 2017 with 45k miles and a few MN and Dakota winters.

Meckbot

U.S. Army Veteran
I found it on my hatch, and after looking here found it on my front driver and passenger doors. I'm going to attempt to fix it on my own vs spending 3k+ to have a local shop do it. Regardless, I spend 3k to do it or I manage to fix it/delay the inevitable.

For referance my car is a 50k miles 2016 model. Seems that it doesnt matter where the car is driven (mine is a PNW example).

I'm obvious well past warranty as I bought the car used. Has anyone had any luck approaching Ford asking them WTF and seeking some sort of restitution or fix?

Last edited:
I have some bubbling on my inside hatch I found about a month ago, went to the dealer, they called me back saying that it's not warrantied. I'm out of my bumper to bumper (18' with 39k). so I asked why it's not covered under ford's 5 year regardless of mileage corrosion warranty. she said that the ford rep said there was no visible corrosion or rust, at this point it's just bubbling, so it's not covered :rolleyes:

So at this point, I guess I just wait for the rust to pop through and take it back.

This is the 3rd ford I've had this issue with. Tho apparently it's not just a ford issue.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I have some bubbling on my inside hatch I found about a month ago, went to the dealer, they called me back saying that it's not warrantied. I'm out of my bumper to bumper (18' with 39k). so I asked why it's not covered under ford's 5 year regardless of mileage corrosion warranty. she said that the ford rep said there was no visible corrosion or rust, at this point it's just bubbling, so it's not covered :rolleyes:

So at this point, I guess I just wait for the rust to pop through and take it back.

This is the 3rd ford I've had this issue with. Tho apparently it's not just a ford issue.
This is why I'm waiting for my spot around the antenna to get worse before I take it to the dealer for warranty, currently its just bubbling around the base, no visible rust currently. Still have the paint warranty until Sept. It needs to be brought back to them anyway to fix the inside edge of the hatch for the 3rd time because its bubbling/rusting yet again. This will mark my car being at the bodyshop 5 times in the 5 years I've owned it since new. First 2 times where not paint problem related. Shits wearing me out

Once I get it fixed for the final time before the warranty gives up I'm going to POR-15 it or something to prevent this shit.