Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PSA on wheel well rust

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I need to adress that spot. Also want to add to make sure that spot is good and clean before painting stuff. My plan is several layers of epoxy white ( have it laying about) and then some hammer finish black to blend it in. I might do the whole fender well with rubberized undercoat underneath the liners.

every time you change your oil just dump a cup of the old motor oil in there. it will never rust.
on a serious note, i am having the same issue, i wonder if any of those rust converters work.

You've gotta work from the inside out on these kind of things. It's usually the poorly treated inside of a seam that collects water and nasty chemicals and rots out. Find a way to get some cavity wax or other rust preventative inside the rocker and quarter panel

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Same here....Duplicolor makes and product for things like this....Ill get a picture of this stuff to post it. Its not an inside out problem its just poor surface prep by ford when painting their garbage. I'm sure they were told about it just like there DCT transmissions in the Focus and the Fiestas...But didn't care to solve it. Just pushed it out to make a buck

Sam4

I'm gonna make a fiesta with FLEXSEAL!! Thanks Brian - had a mazda3 which had rust problems in the rear wheel wells - this is a timely update before the salt and brine trucks go to work.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If they cared they wouldn't have a big ass shelf that collects dirt and junk under the car.
...otherwise known as a design flaw. That "shelf" was on top of the strut tower in my previous Ford. Peoples' strut towers were literally punching through the body. Repeat these words: Design Flaw

Intuit

3000 Post Club
By the way, I've been strategically spraying off the car (more especially the underside) with stuff that's typically used on marine equipment, such as boats.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A7J8FW/

This is the applicator I've been using...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXNJO/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092WXN1A/

EDIT:
WARNING: The forum software has taken it upon itself to hijack the links posted here. What's displayed there may instead go to a completely different website. Use hilight, copy and paste to workaround the issue.

Last edited:
The paint quality on these cars is horrendous. I have had to have my rear quarter panels repainted due to surface rust appearing in the gap between the bumper and sheet metal. The painted metal surrounding the drivers side tailight has chafed off The front hood looks like its been hit with birdshot and there's paint chips everywhere. When my auto body guy was removing the factory 3M paint clear bra protection around the quarter panels the f**cking paint LIFTED UP OFF THE SHEET METAL. My car currently has 63K miles on it and I fear its going to need a repaint in less than 5 years. I have owned many new vehicles over the last 10 years and i have NEVER seen the kind of wear my Fiesta ST has. I am honestly kind of worried about the longevity of these things, I feel like they are going to disintegrate with age. The chrome cup holder trim has begun to peel off like its some shitty Chinese plastic jewellery. Heres my crash bar after 62K miles. 20191217_175238.jpg

20191217_175246.jpg

This is unacceptable. If you needed proof to avoid vehicles made in Mexico and third world countries then here you go. If I had paid this vehicles asking price of $31,000 Canadian i would have felt completely ripped off.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
There should be a warranty on paint just like the powertrain of most vehicle manufacturers. I couldn't agree with you more...I found a hatch paint issue at 37k....ferd told me to beat feet. That's when I said it will be the last ferd I buy new and just might be the last....like I've said before I'll say it again....Here I come Hyundai.....KIA....Honda.....Toyota on my next Vehicle purchase!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

There should be a warranty on paint just like the powertrain of most vehicle manufacturers. I couldn't agree with you more...I found a hatch paint issue at 37k....ferd told me to beat feet. That's when I said it will be the last ferd I buy new and just might be the last....like I've said before I'll say it again....Here I come Hyundai.....KIA....Honda.....Toyota on my next Vehicle purchase!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
I've never had issues like this with my Japanese vehicles , this is Ford cost cutting at it's very worst. Earlier this year I was laid off and considered selling my car. a guy came to look at it and wasn't impressed with the quality of the exterior. I had to tell him that regardless of age eventually all Fiesta STs will look in similar condition. My 5 year old car looks like its 10 years old.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The paint quality on these cars is horrendous. I have had to have my rear quarter panels repainted due to surface rust appearing in the gap between the bumper and sheet metal. The painted metal surrounding the drivers side tailight has chafed off The front hood looks like its been hit with birdshot and there's paint chips everywhere. When my auto body guy was removing the factory 3M paint clear bra protection around the quarter panels the f**cking paint LIFTED UP OFF THE SHEET METAL. My car currently has 63K miles on it and I fear its going to need a repaint in less than 5 years. I have owned many new vehicles over the last 10 years and i have NEVER seen the kind of wear my Fiesta ST has. I am honestly kind of worried about the longevity of these things, I feel like they are going to disintegrate with age. The chrome cup holder trim has begun to peel off like its some shitty Chinese plastic jewellery. Heres my crash bar after 62K miles.

This is unacceptable. If you needed proof to avoid vehicles made in Mexico and third world countries then here you go. If I had paid this vehicles asking price of $31,000 Canadian i would have felt completely ripped off.
Holy crap! That confirms that I made the best choice when I decided to never winter drive mine!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
.................. If you needed proof to avoid vehicles made in Mexico and third world countries then here you go. ........
Previous Ford (well over 300k) was made in Mexico and the paint was absolutely fabulous. Its downfall was the prior mentioned design flaw. Very vaguely recall some bigwig at Ford saying that he'd cut quality many years ago. Apparently he wasn't lying. Good way to generate repeat business. (NOT)

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Was aboit to say my zx3 was made in mexico and the only rust on the body was little spots on the doors when i finally let her go. The paint on that car was awesome. Even after 300k it shined up well for being sun blasted and heat baked.

I've never had issues like this with my Japanese vehicles , this is Ford cost cutting at it's very worst. Earlier this year I was laid off and considered selling my car. a guy came to look at it and wasn't impressed with the quality of the exterior. I had to tell him that regardless of age eventually all Fiesta STs will look in similar condition. My 5 year old car looks like its 10 years old.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I don't drive my 16 FiST in the winter. Paint quality is simply awful. Rust has begun to creep out of panel seams on the front doors, hood and hatch lid. Strangely enough, my 2011 SE hatchback Fiesta is totally fine. Paint quality is better too! So, something has changed. I'm glad that I decided to just stop doing anything to modify my ST and direct the cash elsewhere. Even keeping it as a summer toy will soon become a preservation project. My enthusiasm is somewhat diminished. I tend to keep my cars a long time. So, I can actually park the 16 FiST next to my 11 Fiesta and my 2000 ZX2 s/r! If you didn't know model years and just walked around the three cars judging condition and appearance, the newest one would be judged as the most beat up and highest mileage! It's really quite profound.

Last edited:
I don't drive my 16 FiST in the winter. Paint quality is simply awful. Rust has begun to creep out of panel seams on the front doors, hood and hatch lid. Strangely enough, my 2011 SE hatchback Fiesta is totally fine. Paint quality is better too! So, something has changed. I'm glad that I decided to just stop doing anything to modify my ST and direct the cash elsewhere. Even keeping it as a summer toy will soon become a preservation project. My enthusiasm is somewhat diminished. I tend to keep my cars a long time. So, I can actually park the 16 FiST next to my 11 Fiesta and my 2000 ZX2 s/r! If you didn't know model years and just walked around the three cars judging condition and appearance, the newest one would be judged as the most beat up and highest milage! It's really quite profound.
I would be in agreement with you if there was a plethora of european/ japanese hot hatches here in North America, unfortunately there is not. This is quite possibly the last high performing super mini hot hatch this continent will ever see and I plan on keeping mine forever, even with all its faults. If you like the Fiesta ST concept, keep it. You're not gonna get another opportunity to have a low mileage good quality one.

I never said that I was dumping it. I said that it was probably going to become a preservation project. That means it's doors, hood and hatch will be pitched in the junk because of the ongoing rust eating the panels from the edges inward.
You are correct that this type of car is going away. But this kind of situation is something that would be expected on a ten year old car that was Winter driven and left outside. Not a never winter driven car that's stored inside and not quite three years old. It's kinda difficult to find a happy angle to idea of buying a new car that's really a ten year old car in disguise.

I just noticed on my 2015 the door seam is rusting and paint is flaking off. I just read this is a problem to expect due to an inferior process preformed at the factory.
Many if not all will experience this problem with rust.
I was shocked to see rust on the inside door. No paint chips to start it either. I'm just glad it's not on the exterior where it would be ugly and have to be professionally blended.

Last edited: