Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Radio works part time

Mikey456

I have a ‘17 model FiST with what I think sync 3. Sometimes when I start the car and plug in my phone the radio does not turn on and the system keeps showing that it’s loading. I know if I turn the car on/off it will eventually work but that’s a silly solution. Not sure if this problem had been brought up before. If so, then please send me a link. I have never updated my sync system either. Any ideas because I would like it if my radio worked regularly, not part time. Thanks.

2017 Ford Fiesta ST, Shadow Black, Recaro seats, Mountune RMM, Swift springs, 5mm rear spacers, Falken 615+ tires

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Turning the car off and opening the door is the only way to reboot the Sync 3.

You probably need to do a Master Reset of the Sync 3:

SYNC 3 Master Reset instructions.

1. Press Settings in the Feature bar at the bottom of the screen.
  2. Press the General icon (you may have to swipe to the next screen).
  3. Press the Scroll bar or swipe vertically until you see Master Reset.
    Press Master Reset.
  4. A message confirming that all system settings will be erased and reset to factory defaults will appear.
    Press Continue.
  5. A “Resetting to factory defaults” message will appear, the system will turn off and the screen will go blank. It may take a few minutes for the system to reset and resume normal operation.

You have to download the file to a computer then put it on a thumb drive the plug it into your USB port. The go to settings and do an update.
If you look in the audio section , I think you'll find all the information you need.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Is it easy to update sync? How do I do it?
You can also theoretically do it over Wi-Fi. You connect to your car to Wi-Fi and then enable automatic updates. Unfortunately the chances of this actually happening are about equivalent to actual Bigfoot sightings.
In my opinion, Ford really dropped the ball with the updating for Sync 3, which I otherwise like. Lots of people report problems with the USB updating, and the Wi-Fi updating as I said almost never works correctly. Okay, rant over.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Go here to look for Sync 3 updates and download them. https://help.ford.com/update-sync/

I have two vehicles with Sync 3. If you follow the instructions exactly, taking no shortcuts at all, it will work. It takes a long time, and you have to sit there watching it because after it finishes uploading all the data to the head unit, it will ask if it should do the update, and if you don't tap the yes button within about 10 seconds, it starts the whole uploading process all over again.