Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rant on auto repair shops

from what ive read, isnt a busted AC a common issue for us? i did the same thing the first year n' half of ownership and the AC went kaput after. Been driving with no AC for a looooong time.
Maybe that makes me a juvenile for refusing to fix it because i dont think i ever need it.

which brings me to a time where i was charged 90 bux for a compression test that took 5 mins(n)
That felt dirty as heck.
Air conditioning is a system where if you don’t use it, it becomes unreliable. You’re spinning a compressor which moves Freon and PAG oil (which is there solely to lube the compressor) in it. Like all liquids, if you don’t circulate them they tend to drip down to the lowest point. So if you don’t spin the compressor for a long time the next time you turn on your A/C, your essentially dry spinning a compressor and being that you are counting on Freon to pull it through the compressor actually getting oil back into the compressor can take time. Regularly running your A/C will keep the compressor lubed and will result in a significantly longer lifespan for your A/C system. The only other form of failure is a breach of the system at which point you’ve hit something or your rubber lines have dry rotted and that means the car is old anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Air conditioning is a system where if you don’t use it, it becomes unreliable. You’re spinning a compressor which moves Freon and PAG oil (which is there solely to lube the compressor) in it. Like all liquids, if you don’t circulate them they tend to drip down to the lowest point. So if you don’t spin the compressor for a long time the next time you turn on your A/C, your essentially dry spinning a compressor and being that you are counting on Freon to pull it through the compressor actually getting oil back into the compressor can take time. Regularly running your A/C will keep the compressor lubed and will result in a significantly longer lifespan for your A/C system. The only other form of failure is a breach of the system at which point you’ve hit something or your rubber lines have dry rotted and that means the car is old anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a great detailed explanation of how this works. To keep my system fresh and lubricated, I run the A/C once a week or so even during the winter just to make sure everything circulates through there on a regular basis.
For people who haven't done this, you don't have to freeze yourself to death in the winter doing this, the temperature can be set to a comfortable place, you just have to push in the A/C button so the compressor comes on. I believe it comes on automatically if you run the defroster.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Someone asked about A/C, not sure if that was to me or not, but I do tend to only use my A/C 3-4 times a year. Always been that way, I just prefer windows and sunroof, everything is so artificial in life, from screens to cars to food to people, it's nice to hear and smell and feel real wind when I'm driving, I love that visceral experience!!! When wife or daughter is in the car though my cold A/C works well!
Same here! [thumb]

I only use the AC when it gets sooo unbearable that I'd be soaked as if sprayed down with a fire hose when I got to where I was going, and did not want to be seen that way in public! LOL

By contrast, the Richie Riches around here have their windows rolled up, and their air on in their high zoot, luxo-barge road tank SUVs, even when we are experiencing PERFECT, high pressure, DRY (like 30% humidity or less), 70*F-75*F weather.

I DO 'get it', 1000% if one has severe allergies, especially with the tree pollen levels which can actually be seen in the air around here. [wink]

I just prefer windows and sunroof, everything is so artificial in life, from screens to cars to food to people, it's nice to hear and smell and feel real wind when I'm driving, I love that visceral experience!!!
i embodied that feeling after my AC went out. windows down is a VIBE. plus it makes it easy to wave at fellow STs

tbh tho, i mainly read and rely on this forum before diving in for a fix or even an install, and ya'll havent let me down (y) thanks for saving me bunch on mechanical fees

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I hate to leave my car for an alignment or inspection, especially because it's a manual and I don't know how good the techs are at not frying clutches. I try to do as much as I can myself. Even if I mess up working on it, at least I know what happened. Fortunately, I have a friend who's a mechanic, which is where I take my car for anything beyond my skills.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
i embodied that feeling after my AC went out. windows down is a VIBE. plus it makes it easy to wave at fellow STs

tbh tho, i mainly read and rely on this forum before diving in for a fix or even an install, and ya'll havent let me down (y) thanks for saving me bunch on mechanical fees
I've been windows down too! The previous owner of my FiST installed a oil catch can that rubbed a hole in my ac line, so ac hasn't really been a option. I have the line, but my compressor is probably toast from not being run for so long.

Also, I totally agree with you on this forum being a great help for fixing/maintaining your FiST.

I've been windows down too! The previous owner of my FiST installed a oil catch can that rubbed a hole in my ac line, so ac hasn't really been a option. I have the line, but my compressor is probably toast from not being run for so long.
im sure my compressor is shot, or a nasty congested air filter :ROFLMAO:
Now that its cold, i just throw an extra layer and crack the windows a bit, my visors surprisingly help de-fog my windows without running heat

im about to ride a bike anyway, so i might as well get used to natural temps year-round

Intuit

3000 Post Club
they told me they couldn't align the car because the tie rods were "seized" and that they couldn't align the car until they were replaced.
Must be a common mistake. I got the same story on a prior vehicle when I took mine in after mounting some hardware myself. He even broke out the torch and chewed up the lock-nut. Another mechanic saw what was going on and intervened. The guy was turning the nut the wrong way. Which way is "lefty-loosey" depends on which side of the tie-rod you look from... which is why he should've been inspecting the threads to make sure he was turning the correct way. Even though the other tech figured it out, that's not the story that was handed to me. The story that was handed to me was the same as yours... that it was seized and had a hard time breaking it loose and should use anti-seize.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Oh, and the magic words anytime you're forced to take it to a disservice center...

*** NO INSPECTION PLEASE ***

But yeah, I hear these unnecessary repair stories all the time. They recently got a coworker to buy a new braking system he didn't need because the caliper had a little rust on it. Of course the junk they replaced it with, rusted over in a matter of weeks. It was at that point he knew he'd "been had".

When I took my current vehicle in to get an alignment after the dealer unnecessarily replaced good parts under warranty (but didn't do an alignment) the guy yanked my valve stem, compromising the seal, resulting with a slow leak. I forgot to say the magic words. Took the loose wheel and replacement valve stem to a tire shop and the guy must've realized what happened because he didn't want to charge anything for the valve stem replacement.

Prior vehicle I took it in simply to get new tires and they tried to sell me an all-new suspension even though the existing OEM suspension was perfectly fine.

One shop sold my Mom an all-new suspension even though all it needed was an alignment. Rode unusually rough. (I told her beforehand what it likely needed but didn't listen.) Got it back with the same issue. The vehicle sat noticeably higher so I knew they really did swap the suspension. She took it to the dealer and all they did was, an alignment.

Got way more stories from people I know, as well as myself. Oh, then there was that time I caught a mechanic joy-riding around the parking lot in my prior car...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
sooo, am I the only one who leaves my AC on AND has all my windows down in the summer? lol
I only do that if I am planning on leaving the air on after it starts to blow cool air out of the vents, but then put the windows up.

This will only be done when it is totally unbearable for my 67 year old body to handle (like 100*F+ and over 60% humidity). [wink]