Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rattle from driver side front body linkage or somewhere

So every time I go up a driveway, or back down one and it doesn't have to be steep at low speed, or a roll I get a rattling sound. Just the transition of the pavement with the driveway causes the noise from what sounds like the right wheel. After shifting in and out of first gear at a parking mall I can hear it again but not as distinct. Sounds like something loose from behind the dash A pillar, or inside the body panel fender. The noise has come about after a long drive I had the other day. At low speeds I get a rattling from the driver side somewhere inside the body. I lifted the car and gave everything a shake but could not find anything mechanical loose or wrong. Anyone else experienced anything like this?

- When going up and down the driveway with my driver door open it sounds like a panel is loose or my side mirror is rattling but everything is on tight. After getting up to speed the noise disappears, and even taking turns its not there. But once I slow down to 1st into 2nd I get the rattling, loose bolt sound coasting in a slow zone.

Thank you for reading this and your help,

Sam4

I think my main rattle comes from the cat converter bracket no longer secured by the OEM set up. The flex section has a little extra, plus is worn and rusty. Snapped the cheap studs while changing the rear motor mount, and havent been able to rig anything sufficient. Nice and quiet until small road imperfections.

My car has squeaks and rattles. I just accept that it's a Ford and not a Lexus and turn up the radio lol.😎

OP
L
Thread Starter #4
I see a lot of threads about the RMM and rattling. This was more of a clicking sound that I could pin point with the stock RMM. Would upgrading this fix my rattling sound?
Or should I attempt to retighten the nuts on the exhaust connections as a previous writer mentioned was causing their ratting sound?
For the first 4000 miles I’ve had this car new I did not have this sound.

OP
L
Thread Starter #5
Or even retightening the stock RMM ? Any ideas?

Sounds like a squeaky driver side spring but I know it’s not the suspension. Just a slow speed rattle over rough surfaces or slow jolts.

OP
L
Thread Starter #6
Findings: Opened the hood and started moving areas back and forth trying to shake the car into making the similar noise or vibration for an hr. Not the suspension or RMM.

*** I found the spot that squeaks by shaking the driver headlight unit. It makes a squeaking rubbing plastic sound when shaken at the bottom center point of the headlight unit mainly. There are 2 screws that are Philips/torqs wrench but don't seem to really hold the headlight unit in place as I completely removed them and placed them back.

I examined the other passenger side unit and there is no movement and its very firm. In fact the shaking of the passenger side headlight unit when I was checking shook the driver side headlight unit to start squeaking. This is for sure where the sound is coming from. The fender and bumper are very tight against each other as panels. Its just the headlight assembly moving with the most movement at its center point bottom. Please help. Thank you, thank you.

How do I fix this? Any related experience with this? appreciate it so much.

Thank you,

OP
L
Thread Starter #7
Watched a YouTube vid on removing the headlight housings. Removed it and found my OEM headlights are made wonky on one side. I slipped a piece of cardboard folded 2 times under the top screw to give it enough room not to rub against the body and make the squeak go away. Lost a Philips bit in the process somewhere in the engine. Totally worth it.

Watched a YouTube vid on removing the headlight housings. Removed it and found my OEM headlights are made wonky on one side. I slipped a piece of cardboard folded 2 times under the top screw to give it enough room not to rub against the body and make the squeak go away. Lost a Philips bit in the process somewhere in the engine. Totally worth it.
Do you have any pics of how you did it specifically? I believe im having the same issue.