Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Recommendations for an Intake

Pav

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Car is completely stock, looking at starting with an Intake. I've researched a few brands but wanted some other input and personal experiences with various options. Currently looking at the Whoosh intake and the MAP intake. Planning on getting an access port soon and so far just have ordered wheels and new tires. What is the best intake for overall sound and performance? Price point isn't a concern but I've read that Whoosh is a good bang for the buck. Also have read about some issues/complaints with the COBB intake but am open to all suggestions. Thanks!

Here is a thread in this forum that has a lot of information on intakes: https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/fiesta-st-intake-thread.1236/

Best performance value? Stock airbox with a high flow drop in filter. The intake on these cars is decent from factory. Another "factory" option is to upgrade to the ST200 airbox (about $280). Plenty of people have done that in this forum and have had great results with air temps. One of these two options would be my suggestion just because they're so functional and proven.

Purely sound? I have a Whoosh V2 Short Ram and it is hilariously loud, so loud that I went back to the stock airbox. The turbo spool and blow off noises sound like a Fast & Furious movie. I believe the loudest intake you can buy is the 2J racing cowl intake.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I have this Mountune intake upgrade which came with a tune that I got from them. It's a metal version of the plastic ST200 intake mentioned above, and is otherwise identical as I understand it. The ST200 was a higher performance version of our car that was sold in Europe if you're not familiar with it, so having an upgrade that was basically approved by the factory gave me some comfort level that it would perform and fit well.It adds some nice extra airflow from the new cold air intake which feeds in down near the fog lights, and enhances the engine sounds also.
https://mountuneusa.com/products/mountune-induction-upgrade-kit-fiesta-st

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I originally was going to go with the ST200 intake with a mountune silicone intake hose connecting with a Whoosh crossover pipe.

Then Cobb released their Redline Carbon fiber intake and it is pretty shiny so chose that. May still put the ST200 intake in as the Cobb retains the bottom portion of the oem or ST200

The Takeda also interested me but you need to cut into the evap line or some shit and I dont like hacking things up

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have this Mountune intake upgrade which came with a tune that I got from them. It's a metal version of the plastic ST200 intake mentioned above, and is otherwise identical as I understand it. The ST200 was a higher performance version of our car that was sold in Europe if you're not familiar with it, so having an upgrade that was basically approved by the factory gave me some comfort level that it would perform and fit well.It adds some nice extra airflow from the new cold air intake which feeds in down near the fog lights, and enhances the engine sounds also.
https://mountuneusa.com/products/mountune-induction-upgrade-kit-fiesta-st
This. The ST200/mountune is a real CAI. Won't make as much noise as some others, but it's a little louder than stock. Not noisy, though.

Best bang for your buck would be a drop in filter and some heat reflective tape. For the most sound get anything that doesn't have the filter boxed in. Exposed filters make more induction sounds.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The Cobb 3 inch Redline intake is also available in an aluminum for $350 instead of $559 for the Carbon Fiber. It has the highest flow through of any Intake sold due to it being a full 3 inch. It is also CARB legal with an EO sticker. I have one mated to the bottom of a ST200 box which was my previous setup with a Whoosh crossover pipe and Mountune hose. This eliminates those two pieces for a more integrated and superior setup. The only other two intake setups worth mentioning are loud the 2jr being the loudest followed by then ITG maxogen. Which is a pretty cool intake but like already mentioned kinda loud.

Last edited:
OP
P

Pav

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Thread Starter #9
Here is a thread in this forum that has a lot of information on intakes: https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/fiesta-st-intake-thread.1236/

Best performance value? Stock airbox with a high flow drop in filter. The intake on these cars is decent from factory. Another "factory" option is to upgrade to the ST200 airbox (about $280). Plenty of people have done that in this forum and have had great results with air temps. One of these two options would be my suggestion just because they're so functional and proven.

Purely sound? I have a Whoosh V2 Short Ram and it is hilariously loud, so loud that I went back to the stock airbox. The turbo spool and blow off noises sound like a Fast & Furious movie. I believe the loudest intake you can buy is the 2J racing cowl intake.
Thank you for the suggestions. I have also been looking at the ARMASPEED Carbon fiber intake, have you heard anything good about that? Can’t seem to find any videos on it, but it looks promising. They advertise that it isolates the hot air away from the intake but it’s not like the cowl intakes that sit in the back of the engine bay, it’s still is front mounted. It’s a bit pricy but if it sounds good and works as they say I may go with that one. Thanks again!

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Tons of good options. Unless I needed a 3” diameter, I’d go for the ST200. I have had the Mountune, Whoosh ram, ST200 at various points. All great. Didn’t love the noise of the whoosh. Have a 3” 2J and a 3” Cobb carbon fiber in the garage to install one of when I swap turbos.

Between your two choices, I would go with Whoosh since it’s significantly cheaper and both will give you the same performance.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Car is completely stock, looking at starting with an Intake. I've researched a few brands but wanted some other input and personal experiences with various options. Currently looking at the Whoosh intake and the MAP intake. Planning on getting an access port soon and so far just have ordered wheels and new tires. What is the best intake for overall sound and performance? Price point isn't a concern but I've read that Whoosh is a good bang for the buck. Also have read about some issues/complaints with the COBB intake but am open to all suggestions. Thanks!
on the stock turbo or for any power under 300whp the intake choice should be based on your budget, appearance, and sound which means you could use the OEM/ST200/mountune airbox options as they won't become a restriction until you meet or exceed 300whp

if you plan to upgrade your turbo, an option with a cone filter will be needed
for increased sound, the whoosh v2 short ram is around $99 and will perform as well if not better than any other intake available
we've made over 400whp and have countless low 11 second passes on the original whoosh short ram. It's 2.75" tubing and proof anything larger than that tubing size provides zero gain other than saying you have a 3" intake
when budget isn't an issue, the ITG intake (also 2.75") is the best all around option from our experience regardless of other mods or planned power level

They're basically all good except the the 2J racing intake. I have a mishimoto intake and my tuner had no issues with it. The fit is tight which is annoying sometimes when working on the car, no complaints outside of that.

Hop

U.S. Air Force Veteran
I like the look of the cp-e RAI. It also has a secondary inlet tube that comes up from the ground. Pair that with a big mouth and you are getting 2 forms of intake air. Plus, it comes in red :cool:

I went with the Mishimoto intake mainly because I live in California and needed it to be C.A.R.B compliant . I've been pretty happy with it.
I'm still keeping my stock air box close by when it comes time for smog just in case. I can definitely hear the turbo noises alot more but nothing crazy.
Overall the build quality is very high as per usual with most Mishimoto products . It has a very nice krinkle coat finish on the intake tube and a sealed
metal airbox . It's a nice clean look fiesta intake.jpg

I went with the Mishimoto intake mainly because I live in California and needed it to be C.A.R.B compliant . I've been pretty happy with it.
I'm still keeping my stock air box close by when it comes time for smog just in case. I can definitely hear the turbo noises alot more but nothing crazy.
Overall the build quality is very high as per usual with most Mishimoto products . It has a very nice krinkle coat finish on the intake tube and a sealed
metal airbox . It's a nice clean look View attachment 57389
Take the lid off in winter for more induction noises 🥰

ikaro

stock hoses with high flow filter.
I've read that adding larger and complicated setups at the intake will not benefit much performance, because of the bottle neck later in the intake system. So what you are doing is like a funnel, a big opening for the air to go in, but it can only go as fast and as much quantity as the rest of the system is made for. So I've just opted for this simple solution. cheap, sounds great :)

Attachments

Dpro

6000 Post Club
stock hoses with high flow filter.
I've read that adding larger and complicated setups at the intake will not benefit much performance, because of the bottle neck later in the intake system. So what you are doing is like a funnel, a big opening for the air to go in, but it can only go as fast and as much quantity as the rest of the system is made for. So I've just opted for this simple solution. cheap, sounds great :)
Which is exactly why the only one to consider IMO opinion is COBB’s Redline intake which is a full 3 inch from beginning to end. It’s what I wound up putting in my car( my car has a S280 Turbo) If all out flow is what one is after.

For a stock Turbo setup it’s most likely a zero sum situation and not needed. For those of us with a larger Turbo who might be chasing more flow it’s a different story.

ikaro

Which is exactly why the ................
Looks like you have done quit a lot to your fiesta, have you calculated how much each HP cost with all the upgrades you have done?
can you tell something about it from the standard HP until the final dyno result and how much money you spent to get there.

Dialcaliper

There are plenty of recommendations in other threads, but I feel like Dizzy’s test on the stock turbo is probably the best description of what sorts of gains are to be made in the intake system because there’s actual data to back it up.

I kind of wish he had also included the Mountune or ST200 Airbox in the test, which is in theory good enough for 15-20hp on a production tune, and 27-30hp on the MR230 if Mountune is to be believed, which is almost the same increase you get from an intercooler+Stage 2 tune.

https://dizzytuning.com/blogs/technical-documents/fiesta-st-stock-turbocharger-intake-testing

The conclusion I see is that you’re chasing no more than 5hp on the crossover+induction hose+filter over the stock setup, and maybe up to 10hp with a true cold air intake, but there’s not really any more to be gained there. Everything else is in the tune (and intercooler), unless maybe you’re looking at turbo upgrades.

Last edited: