Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Removing spark plugs- Is there a trick?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm using a 5/8 wrench that looks as skinny as it could be. For the life of me, I can't get it it on the plug. What's the deal?

If it's got the rubber grommet in there to grab the plug, you may want to push it further into the socket or use a regular socket to break it loose and then use the other one to finish backing it out.

OP
XR650R

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
That's the thing. I don't think it's biting the plug, no matter how I try to push it on. Is it just too fat? Do I need a special super-skinny socket?

I mean, it should definitely be a deepwell 5/8" if that's what you're asking. That said, it's definitely a pain to get the one with the rubber grommet on there sometimes.

OP
XR650R

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #7
Yup. Got a magnetic swivel wrench at the local store and everything went peachy-smooth. Had them switched out in no time. Thanks for the suggestions, you helpful FiSTers!
Thought I might have to remove the front strut brace, but didn't need to at all. Piece of cake.

I'm using a 5/8 wrench that looks as skinny as it could be. For the life of me, I can't get it it on the plug. What's the deal?
WTF... That's weird.. I used my one from my tools at work and it's got a rubber grommet inside it that holds the ceramic part of the spark plug...

At the moment I actually can't get one of my plugs out of the head.. not stripped or broken (yet [emoji43]‍[emoji94]) but got a new single hex sparkplug socket and this one is actually magnetic and holds the plug really good.. also got some spray to help loosen the thread.

Hope you get your plugs sorted!!

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yup. Got a magnetic swivel wrench at the local store and everything went peachy-smooth. Had them switched out in no time. Thanks for the suggestions, you helpful FiSTers!
Thought I might have to remove the front strut brace, but didn't need to at all. Piece of cake.
Somebody on here told me to get a magnetic swivel socket when I was getting ready to change plugs. It makes the job so much easier. Our plugs are really deep compared to the other cars I've done them on.

Crv

I bought this just for the fiestas plugs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074HNKI6

All of the sockets I had and my father-in-laws would not fit, too fat.
As stated…this is what I use after getting recommended on this forum w the same problem I use w a wobble socket extension and works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk