Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What is the downside to removing the front fender liners??

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I realize if I was putting 10k miles or more a year on the car it might be an issue. But I'm planning 3k a year tops. What is the down side? Messy/gross engine bay? Or worse?

I realize if I was putting 10k miles or more a year on the car it might be an issue. But I'm planning 3k a year tops. What is the down side? Messy/gross engine bay? Or worse?
I just removed my entire front grill and the extra lower grill fins and have seen no issues or problems

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I just removed my entire front grill and the extra lower grill fins and have seen no issues or problems

I did that too but I'm talking the inner fender liners, in the wheel wells in the front.

I did that too but I'm talking the inner fender liners, in the wheel wells in the front.
Ohh that's what you meant, I've thought about doing that too but ain't done it yet, my bad

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I am just a little confused; is this to save weight?
Do you wish to remove the plastic inner fenders and then continue to drive without them?
The downside of that is, when driving on dirt or gravel roads, small rocks can stick to the tires and be thrown up inside the fenders.
This causes bumps in the fenders and cracks in the paint.

Is it to try and solve a rubbing issue? I can't imagine any other logical reason... they don't weigh anything, they don't require maintenance, and they don't really get in the way of modding with the exception of wider tires.

If it’s anything like my Mk5 Rabbit that’s missing a passenger side fender liner: Any time I hit a puddle on my passenger side, the accessory belt squeels like a banshee and my “low voltage” light comes on. I have a new liner I’ve been meaning to put on but I’ve been too lazy and it’s been too cold.

Would not recommend.

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the input. It isn't to save weight. My car is a salvage rebuild so the fender liners are tricky to attach on one side (pass side) where the bumper/fender/liner all meet. I'll attach the best I can and run this season with them on. Maybe over next off-season I'll cut them out and make some aluminum panel in the engine bay when I plan to go with wide tires.

The front fender liners is there to protect the inners from corrosion as well as any brake lines and electrical wiring such as abs vehicle speed sensor connector is tucked behind there. Although the underside of your fender has a factory e coat, it can chip from rocks and debris, so rust can start from the underside and eventually make its way through to the top causing your paint to lift, bubble, etc.