Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Restoring Sun Damaged Rubber?

Yelbom15

U.S. Army Veteran
I tried my best to get rid of what looks like fungus off the window seals. I’m located here in Florida and the sun ruins them.
Tried my best with a magic eraser to see if I could get rid of the top layer.
Any tips?

Attachments

ORANGEST

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
I heard somebody used Honda Shin-Etsu grease to hydrate and brighten up the rubber portions of this... I got some of that and have been meaning to apply it but I've used a toothbrush with bathroom cleaner first to prep it and have the same issue you have where those spots just don't want to disappear... so before I do apply that and try to brighten this up, I'd also love to know if anybody has a technique for at least removing these spots

Back to black type products help after a wash, at least for a while. Havent found anything that permanently addresses yet.

Have the same issue with my car, which came from FL. Been wondering if the solve is new quarter windows....

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Wash with Dawn dish soap, decontaminate (Iron X or similar), clay bar, 303 Aerospace Protectant. Or wash and do vinyl wrap.

OP
Yelbom15

Yelbom15

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #8
The for sure fire way I’ve seen so far is a high grit sand paper and whatever lubrication you choose…not sure how I feel about that. But I might chance it. Not sure on the longevity of the rubber after scoring it like that.

LostInTransit

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
These trim pieces are lightly power coated. The only resolution to this is to remove them and have them recoated or simply mask off that area and repaint yourself. I've found that using a bed liner product would work also. Several other car guys have taken my advice and bed liner the door jams and roof top area that were suppose to be black powder coated but have faded as well.