Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Review - Cravenspeed Stubby Jr. Antenna

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I ordered one of these online to pad out an order for shipping. Installed it, and wanted to post my review here to make other users aware of the awesome performance of this totally worthwhile purchase.

Who is this product ideal for:
  • People that feel their radio reception is just too good, and would like less.
  • People that enjoy static as "white" background noise
  • People that cannot hear

Pros:
  • The box was nice
  • Occupied very little room in my trash can

Cons:
  • I only get one radio station now, in a language I don't speak, in the middle of San Diego, CA.

I ordered one of these online to pad out an order for shipping. Installed it, and wanted to post my review here to make other users aware of the awesome performance of this totally worthwhile purchase.

Pros:
  • The box was nice

Cons:
  • I only get one radio station now, in a language I don't speak, in the middle of San Diego, CA.
ahh, bummer to hear, I've had mine on for a couple years now so I can put long things on my roof rack and not hit the antenna. No issues in the Twin Cities MN.

I wonder what could cause the differences between units?

HAHA yeah, sounds about right. My stubby jr reduced my reception by a considerable amount as well. Luckily I almost exclusively listen to music on my phone.

I'd be curious how much more reception the regular Stubby version gets. Antennas are very sensitive to being evenly divisible by the wavelength broadcasted. I'm too lazy to whip out the math unfortunately.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club

Pros:
  • The box was nice

Cons:
But you liked it, right? :cool:
I read a lot of reviews, and that was one of the funnier ones that I have read recently, thanks for posting it.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
ahh, bummer to hear, I've had mine on for a couple years now so I can put long things on my roof rack and not hit the antenna. No issues in the Twin Cities MN.

I wonder what could cause the differences between units?
did you have the jr? its the lil nub one.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I've have both the mid sized and the little bitty one. Neither are great. I'm probably going to remove the whole assembly and weld the hole closed at some point soon. I stream music from my phone exclusively in the Fiesta.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I got the 4" version. No change in reception for me.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
My car is almost entirely gutted with a catless downpipe and mbrp exhaust. I use earplugs when I drive. Radio doesn't get loud enough for me to hear over everything else but music streamed from my phone is much better.
Duh haha. It escaped me that you meant via headphones because yours is a track car and not via CarPlay

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
I have a fairly short one tho I don't remember which exactly, here is a pic. It's not a tiny little nub. View attachment 55837

I think thats the one I have. I pushed the stereo button to scan for channels and let it scroll through them for a couple minutes, it never stopped because no single station came in strong enough. I can manually tune to a station that is super nearby but its still all static :|

If the advertising was "care about styling more than having radio? Buy this!" I would have been a lot happier, but probably not bought it - but their advertising said no loss of signal and thats total bs.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Why I will just stick with the factory one, as I will never have a roof rack on this car, and the alternative college stations (looking at you WXPN in Philly) I want to listen to are not strong signals/pushing a bunch of watts where I am even on 'good' reception days.

Erick_V

I just realized I somehow still have good radio reception even though I have NO antenna. I removed the OEM because in my covered parking spot the birds would land on it and shat on my roof constantly. I may try the Jr. I mainly use Bluetooth/USB unless those feel like acting up, which is pretty usual with SYNC.

I think thats the one I have. I pushed the stereo button to scan for channels and let it scroll through them for a couple minutes, it never stopped because no single station came in strong enough. I can manually tune to a station that is super nearby but its still all static :|

If the advertising was "care about styling more than having radio? Buy this!" I would have been a lot happier, but probably not bought it - but their advertising said no loss of signal and thats total bs.
It's pretty weird how much difference there can be in an antenna. I wonder how picky cravenspeed is about the actual antenna length, I feel like that is a contributor to the reception.

I wonder how much the "tightness" of the antenna changes the signal quality. I might mess around with that today to see if it changes anything.