Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Safe aftermarket LED headlight bulb info, finds and discussion

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #581
So I tried fitting the Katana's and they are definitely too long/wide. Anything I could possible be doing wrong (I hope).
Honestly, I used little plier snips to trim the ring a bit on the passenger side of the reflectors at one point of trying a number of sets... But is this for the reflector or Euro's you're talking about? If you are talking reflectors, then the TechMax are brighter and cheaper, but in the Euro's, with projectors, the Katana are amazing!

Stupid reflectors. It's my own fault. Am going to order the TechMax and some reverse lights, as I plan on tinting in the near future. Thanks bud.

Also ordered the larger caps just to be on the safe side. Those won't come in until next week. Should I wait to install, or will I be okay for a few days capless (if you will lol).

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #584
Also ordered the larger caps just to be on the safe side. Those won't come in until next week. Should I wait to install, or will I be okay for a few days capless (if you will lol).
I'm all about capless to begin with. :) But seriously, the TechMax may be a tight fit as well, but they also don't have an external driver module at all, but it's only the passenger side rear cap that won't fit, but I don't bother anyway as it takes a LOT of water on the road, like hydroplane levels to any water to make it's way up there at all, but they are also not air tight anyway, even if some gets up there it evaporates out quickly so I don't bother with the rear covers, I'd rather have the cooling.

Gotcha! I may end up leaving it that way as well then. But for eight bucks I figured why not add them to the amazon cart. Thanks for the chat bud, have a good one!

HBEcoBeaST

I've been reading through this thread. Looking for something in the 5000-6000K spectrum to match my fog LEDs but I don't want glare, pissing people off, getting pulled over (besides for speeding), etc. Stock housing no projector.

Are the Hikari's the only good choice? What else has worked for people? Otherwise I'll go with standard bulb OSRAM Nightbreakers

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #587
I've been reading through this thread. Looking for something in the 5000-6000K spectrum to match my fog LEDs but I don't want glare, pissing people off, getting pulled over (besides for speeding), etc. Stock housing no projector.

Are the Hikari's the only good choice? What else has worked for people? Otherwise I'll go with standard bulb OSRAM Nightbreakers
You read through this thread and didn't hear all the talk about the TechMax? hehe... They are amazing for the money and one of the best overall period for the Fiesta reflector housing.

HBEcoBeaST

You read through this thread and didn't hear all the talk about the TechMax? hehe... They are amazing for the money and one of the best overall period for the Fiesta reflector housing.
Thanks I was having a tough time piecing together everything. Going to try the tech Max mini and angle them all the way down.

Going to do an led conversion on all exterior lights once I make a decision and find matching, affordable LEDs.

I bought some Oedro H11's last year when this thread was just getting going. Time has really flown by.

I know the best choice now is Tech Max but since I had these Oedros I figured I'd install them.

Here is a gallery of my beam patterns

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EwhzgUh3o3owPZpS7 Pardon my shit everywhere; lots of projects going on.

I installed the drivers side with no fuss what so ever.

The passenger side I was able to get the Oedro bulb in but in an orientation that was 90 degrees off from what it should have been. You can check out what it did to the beam pattern.

I adjusted both headlights down so that the scatter in the up down direction would be better for oncoming traffic.

I then thought the scatter on the passenger headlight was pretty bad so then ended up taking it all out, cutting away some of the lip and jamming in the bulb in an orientation that matched the drivers side. I did the best I could but in blocking the housing bulb hole but still have some plastic shards inside the housing and a finger print of mine which was the result of trying to get some of the plastic shards out. Womp.

Then I noticed the Oedro bulbs are two different colors. Awesome.

The dust caps are 75mm Chinese Boat Specials. They stretched over the hole but feel like they are going to pop off. I'd get a size that's a few more mm if possible.

I regret cutting into the headlight housing but the cuts are clean and i can go back to the OEM dust caps if necssary.

Here is a gallery of random photos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XGUWxzmot7z1j8yNA

I forgot to get a picture of the final orientation of the passenger side LED bulb.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #590
Thanks I was having a tough time piecing together everything. Going to try the tech Max mini and angle them all the way down.

Going to do an led conversion on all exterior lights once I make a decision and find matching, affordable LEDs.
No need to angle them down all the way, just a touch, actually, they have VERY little *excessive* glare, reflectors intentionally have a touch of glare to help light up road signs ahead. These newer sets are designed with the LED chips at the proper halogen filament location, so as long as they aren't too bright then you are good. After extensive testing the TechMax definitely are nearly *perfect*, you really don't have to adjust them much *at all*

Last edited:
Yeah I didn't read through at all. Definitely a big mistake. Hopefully somebody learns from my idiocy, and hopefully Amazon accepts my return haha.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #592
Yeah I didn't read through at all. Definitely a big mistake. Hopefully somebody learns from my idiocy, and hopefully Amazon accepts my return haha.
Pro tip: Since they always, ALWAYS understate the lumen output for stupid marketing reasons, just use "Item not as described" as reason and say "light output lower than claimed" to return for free. :)

HBEcoBeaST

techmax mini h11s, 75mm dust caps and 921 reverlse LEDs ordered! Does anyone poke holes in the dust caps or leave them as is? I don't see how the LED fan does anything inside a mostly enclosed headlight.

any suggestions for affordable, acceptable quality front side markers, running(parking?) lights and turn signals? I want to tint over the orange side markers. Switchback running lights would be cool, but I don't want anything unreliable.

I understand you need resistors for the turn signals. Specific amazon product suggestions are much appreciated as I don't enjoy 'trying out' cheapy leds just to have them fail

thanks for the help!

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #594
techmax mini h11s, 75mm dust caps and 921 reverlse LEDs ordered! Does anyone poke holes in the dust caps or leave them as is? I don't see how the LED fan does anything inside a mostly enclosed headlight.

any suggestions for affordable, acceptable quality front side markers, running(parking?) lights and turn signals? I want to tint over the orange side markers. Switchback running lights would be cool, but I don't want anything unreliable.

I understand you need resistors for the turn signals. Specific amazon product suggestions are much appreciated as I don't enjoy 'trying out' cheapy leds just to have them fail

thanks for the help!
Since I switched to Euro's with separate turn signals and markers, can't help you on the switchbacks, but I hear they work fine. Might be able to spend a good amount that has resistors built in from what I remember when I was researching those. Premium Auto Styling has nice headlight corner blackouts, used them on my Euro's to cover all the chrome with no light there and looks good with my color combo.

BTW I just received the TechMax minis about 10 minutes ago, and they've been in the car for about 5. So needless to say those couple millimeters difference in size between these and the Katanas makes all the difference. Again, should have read the full thread. Appreciate the help Danbfree.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #597
BTW I just received the TechMax minis about 10 minutes ago, and they've been in the car for about 5. So needless to say those couple millimeters difference in size between these and the Katanas makes all the difference. Again, should have read the full thread. Appreciate the help Danbfree.
Happy to help and I'm sure once you can try them on the road at night you'll really appreciate the difference!

Can't wait. I turned them about 30 mins or so just so they held in there better. Sound about right? Or should I just pray they stay in there with the stalk at 6-12?

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #599
Can't wait. I turned them about 30 mins or so just so they held in there better. Sound about right? Or should I just pray they stay in there with the stalk at 6-12?
OK, I just went and checked on my old reflector housings in the garage that still have the TechMax in them and I see what you mean... I always went with full lock, but you're right, I can tell by the line running down the stalk that it is more like at 11:30 when you do that, but that is indeed fine, that's how I think we all have had them at, definitely close enough... I wouldn't want to risk even the slightest chance of them wiggling loose.