Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shifting into 5th gear and it grinds

OP
T
Thread Starter #21
This might be useful to others with a similar problem like mine so I'm just posting this.Getting an answer from an expert at another website about my problem,he suggested the problem might have something to do w/synchronizer blocking rings,fourth gear is partially engaged while trying to engage in fifth gear.(Cheaper repair bill?!)

This might be useful to others with a similar problem like mine so I'm just posting this.Getting an answer from an expert at another website about my problem,he suggested the problem might have something to do w/synchronizer blocking rings,fourth gear is partially engaged while trying to engage in fifth gear.(Cheaper repair bill?!)
The cost of that vs synchros is honestly going to be the same. Both require pulling the transmission out and cracking the case. What did the dealer say was the problem with reverse and what did they do to fix it? If they cracked the case I'd be willing to bet they messed something up with the gear stack.

OP
T
Thread Starter #23
The cost of that vs synchros is honestly going to be the same. Both require pulling the transmission out and cracking the case. What did the dealer say was the problem with reverse and what did they do to fix it? If they cracked the case I'd be willing to bet they messed something up with the gear stack.
As for a few yrs ago,they had to replace a part(reverse idler & bearing included,I believe)and get the right size for it to be shipped to them which had me waiting up to 2 1/2 weeks before I got my car back.I put up with it because it was under warranty and had a ride from work.I don't know if there is a direct connection other than the next door proximity in gears and it was years ago.If what you suggested was the case,it would've happened much sooner rather than later I suspect.

As for a few yrs ago,they had to replace a part(reverse idler & bearing included,I believe)and get the right size for it to be shipped to them which had me waiting up to 2 1/2 weeks before I got my car back.I put up with it because it was under warranty and had a ride from work.I don't know if there is a direct connection other than the next door proximity in gears and it was years ago.If what you suggested was the case,it would've happened much sooner rather than later I suspect.
I must have missed the years back part, more than likely unrelated then

OP
T
Thread Starter #26
I just drove my car today in 5th today and one time it shifted perfectly while the other time I had to twice reshift when it grinded.One thing I noticed is the harder I shift the more likely it gets into gear.Well I'm going to take my sister's recommendation and go see someone about my car that she knows around next week.Wish me luck for those reading this.

dondraper

Eventually yes I will have to.I just want to have enough to cover what potential costs(worst case scenario) which is why I'm saving up and delaying it for now.The problem won't go away until it gets fixed but I like to think it is an isolated problem with the 5th gear that I have a little time on(restricting travel to 4th gear only on an alternate route to work,drives inside,not outside the city).Goal is to be able to get the car repaired and afford whatever the bill may be for it.
Good luck

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Late to the party here...but I just read through old threads for ideas or boredom...But... was this ever solved. I see this a lot here on the forum where people come on and don't complete the cycle and let others know the findings or results.

Last edited: