Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Slit coolant hose = silicone tape ?

Hello,

managed to cut in half a section of the small coolant hose in my ST180. After a few research it seems like silicone tape would do the trick, any advice ? Also, since it leaked quite a bunch of liquid before stopping, is there anything else I should be worried about ? Is there such a thing about bleeding the coolant hose because of air trapped in ? Also if the coolant in itself if harmful to the engine bay in particular (it leaked right above the downpipe, slightly more to the left (when seeing the bay from the front) ?

Thanks guys,
Michael

slopoke

OP
Fiestastix
Thread Starter #3
If the situation is how I understand it to be. I would cut the hose completely and splice the two together with a metal nipple.For any fears of air in system. I typically run the system til the cooling fans kick on, then let it sit overnite, then refill the coolant tank as required.

https://media.builderwire.net/getimage?vendor=1&sku=7323322&imageType=fullsize&image=7323322.jpg
So there is an air issue regarding coolant ? I used to bleed my hydraulic brake fluids on my bicycle, looking for bubbles. But here I'm a bit lost of words since I don't have any automotive mecanical theorical knowledge. Can you give me a slighty dumbed downed version ? Much appreciated. By the hose is already spliced in two

slopoke

So there is an air issue regarding coolant ? I used to bleed my hydraulic brake fluids on my bicycle, looking for bubbles. But here I'm a bit lost of words since I don't have any automotive mecanical theorical knowledge. Can you give me a slighty dumbed downed version ? Much appreciated. By the hose is already spliced in two
There could be air in the system, but do the following to ensure you don't. Start your car, get the rpms to around 2-3K. Use a piece of wood, brick, etc on the gas pedal to raise the rpms. Let it run til the operating temps come up and wait for the cooling fans to come on. Shut the car off and let it sit overnite. If there was any air in the system, when the car cools down, it will draw coolant from the overflow tank.

If you lost a major amount of coolant. I usually take off the cap, then starting from the lowest hose, squeeze and release it to force the air bubble to move up. That usually takes care of the major air bubbles in the system. You can also spend money to buy a vacuum setup to pull negative pressure and force the air to the top, but I've not had issues with the technique I just mentioned.