Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Smoke on heavy acceleration (4200mi / 6800km only)

Is this normal? 2016 model. Car hasn't been tracked, nor driven very hard often, I drive it enthusiastically around the suburbs sometimes sure but certainly not abused. Had an early oil change at 3,000km and next one not due til 15,000km. I don't notice it every time but I've noticed it enough to wonder whether it's normal. Filling up with either Castrol 95 or 98 octane here in Sydney Australia.

Thanks!
Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
Thread Starter #2
Plus I'm always sure to not drive it very hard until around 15mins into a trip. I guess what I should be asking is does anybody else have a little smoke every now and then on heavy throttle?

haste

1000 Post Club
No smoke here unless pushing the loud pedal to the floor, and then the smoke only lasts a moment.

You notice any performance difference? Can you take a video of the smoking? What color is the smoke and have you been able to smell it?

Spaceman_Spiff

Seems like I read that heavy throttle at low RPM's will cause black smoke/soot, nature of the beast with direct injection from what I understand.

zanethan

As others have stated it can be normal.

If it's just a short burst after you floor it then that's pretty normal for D.I. motors.

However, if you're producing a trail of smoke, then no it isn't normal.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
black smoke? I am not sure if my ST produces black smoke on hard acceleration, but I know our 2.0L EcoBoosted Escape puts out a good amount of black smoke on hard acceleration.

OP
M
Thread Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Haven't noticed it for a while now and it was only ever a few puffs here and there. Switched to Shell V-Power around the same time it stopped but that may well be coincidental.

Fairly common on turbo engines. Momentary excess of fuel on hard acceleration, so black smoke as engine is rich for a fraction of a second or two until air fuel gets back in balance.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Black smoke is not in any way "normal". I have seen the soot deposits on the exhaust tips and bumpers on cars with high HP tunes. Black smoke indicates the car is running too rich. My MP-215 tuned car tips are clean inside. Imagine the deposits that are left in the engine, turbo and exhaust will all that soot.

My stock st has soot inside the exhaust tips, as does my built motor Honda. Running 11:1 afr full boost will tend to do that. I would say having no soot in your exhaust could be a sign you're actually running too lean. Just my .02!