Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Smoking car

Will turn on car , let it idle until gets to operating temp everything will be fine .

Until I drive it for a while, I come back and park it , let it idle and it will start to blow smoke (blueish).
Have 2 catch cans, good pressure all 4 cylinder.
No oil in charge pipe.

Want to confirm my thoughts...that it might be a faulty turbo ..?

Last edited:
OP
J
Thread Starter #3
No , 1 can will catch oil .. other can stays dry.
No oil in charge pipe..

I can only think Piston ring wear or bad turbo ...or what other components might cause smoking..? Pcv valve doesn't touch the intake ? Right.?

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Pcv does vent i to the intake manifold, yay, emissions regulations. It could also be valve guides and seals. But it would be a constant smoking i think.... Not sure as ive never had that issue. How many miles on the car?

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Could be a cracked cylinder wall

Heats up enough to expand and open up so that coolant leaks through. Won't show signs of it cold because it's juuuuuust getting started?

Hypergram

1000 Post Club

Heats up enough to expand and open up so that coolant leaks through. Won't show signs of it cold because it's juuuuuust getting started?
That makes sense. Or it could be a head gasket like the FoRS. Let's hope not tho.

OP
J
Thread Starter #9
I let the engine get to 190 degrees and wait 10 more minutes and rev it a little ( to get some boost going ) And will do nothing in idle. Only after driving it .. .

Car runs great tho . No problems just the smoke at a long red light or drive through

FORGOT to mention it's not stock turbo ,hybrid install . But I know it shouldn't be smoking like that.

OP
J
Thread Starter #10
I will double check pcv and lines and catch cans flow ... A little oil causes lots of smoke . Maybe it's something simple I'm over looking.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Who's Turbo? Are you running the correct oil as per Turbo Recommendation?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club

In that case could also be minor bellmouthing or slight degredation of the cylinder walls at the top of the block. I've seen picture of pumaspeeds claims for degradation of cylinder walls. Op what's your mileage?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
If this is a problem with Ron's turbo I'd say cheap or ineffective seals are used on the shafts and they aren't holding oil pressure. Maybe contact Ron and see if he will send a call tag to inspect?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

OP
J
Thread Starter #18
car has around 107,000 . My plan is to swap back to stock turbo, and do testing. If problem persists, then i might start taking a better look at engine internals.

But car was running fine before the turbo swap.

exumerlol

Let me know how going back to stock snail fares for you. On same boat with whoosh hybrid tracspec + the whoosh ported exh manifold. I also have heavy white smoke only at idle, occasionally but more often lately.

My major mods:
Catless DP, Thermal R&D Exh
Whoosh Hybrid, Ramair cold air intake, Whoosh intake hose, Ramair crossover pipe, 2015 evap lines on a 2016
Damond catch can, Iridium spark plugs

JID03,
do you notice a slight change in tone right before it starts smoking too?
When i get home, if i step out of the car immediately there's no smoke but a few seconds later the tone of the exhaust sound changes and then the smoke starts. If i was driving it hard it would not smoke as bad or at all, but if i cruise at around 2500 and then let the car sit for a bit the smoke starts.

My car like yours runs perfectly otherwise, its just generally very embarrassing at stops or when picking up food. Since its a new hybrid, maybe there's something we haven't quite figured out yet. Last mechanic I took it to suspected too much fuel and another suspected turbo seals.

There was another dude on Reddit that had same issue with the same hybrid, he ended up going back to stock and selling the fiesta to not have to deal with it anymore. He also had every catch can there is.
He mentioned that he spoke to Ford and they suggested it was either a bad cylinder head/valve guides, a bad oil to air separator, or bad turbo.
Yesterday I had the local Lee Myles check everything over, compression/blocktest/plugs etc and all is 100%. Their best guess for the smoke was the tune running too rich.

With the running of the heavier oil, maybe the oil to air separator is a valid direction but wouldnt it still burn blue instead of white???

Last edited:
OP
J
Thread Starter #20
When did you purchase/install your turbo?
I strongly believe it's the turbo.
too many coincidences.and like I said my car ran perfectly before .

and question is the smoke blue or white ?

White smoke is mostly water/coolant and you can smell it .
Blue smoke (oil) willl stay in the air for a couple seconds.

I will update once I swap back to stock. It sounds very similar like my problem but you should check your components too just to verify.
As long as its not always smoking I think we're in the same boat .