Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Smoother and more accurate shifts, Motul 300 Gear Lube is a low cost easy mod and worth it:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #41
Great plan on keeping the stock fluid, I did the same as my car had just 293 miles on it, I saved it, filtered it, did the LSD install and put the stock in to test for leaks, a few hundred miles later, no leaks, put in the Motul.

In the same light kept the stock brake fluid in when I did the front and rear BBKs to ensure all was good before I swapped in the Castrol SRF as did not want to buy two bottles at $70 or 80 each, or whatever the price, ouch! I was able to test everything, tighten a couple of fittings again(loosen, tighten, loosen, tighten to make sure sealed is how I do all brake fittings and still sometimes they leak a bit) I have just enough SRF left to bleed teh brakes after events, just a little is all it takes to make sure no air, that fluid can last a whole race season if taken care of so in the end less cost and maintenance.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #43
Between the dozen or so car projects over the last 8 years, and my lift seals blowing, my garage floor is not the prettiest it could be;)

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I poured mine all over my driveway.

Dave
Lol, I just got done and I concocted a tool for the trans fluid change while on jack stands. I used a gallon milk jug and a 2 liter bottle. Of course, I thoroughly cleaned both. I took the 2 liter bottle and cut about 2/3rd's of it off, leaving just the top. Then I flipped it over and taped it to the milk jug, ensuring a good seal between the two spouts of the bottles. I used this to drain the old fluid, then I used a pump for the new. No mess!! :)

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I'm gonna try the AMSOIL MTG 75w-90 GL-4 today. It's specs are closer to the Motul's than the others that you listed on p1 of this thread. I'm gonna save the factory fluid that I remove just in case I need to filter it and put it back in. I have 3 quarts of this AMSOIL and I don't want it to go to waste, lol.
Okay, so I just finished my test drive after an oil change and the trans fluid change to the AMSOIL. The trans is overall quieter than before, especially with the gear clunk that I used to get when I shifted which it had done since day one. Now, the firmness/ resistance of the shifts are about 20% heavier with the new fluid. Not like grinding or feeling like something's wrong, but a little more muscle car stiff, if you will. I like the way that feels as I have always thought the shifts were overly easy. It engages smoothly and hopefully it stays this way and doesn't result in excessive wear compared to the Ford fluid. I guess I will see. I put about 100 miles on the car a week, so I will update this in a couple weeks.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #46
I have a feeling the stock fluid is a bit thin and used mainly for fuel mileage gains but still a good lube. If the changes makes it smoother and quieter it is likely to cause a bit more drag but the trade off in better shifting and likely can handle abuse better, seems very well worth giving up a bit of mileage and a little power.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I noticed this also after driving it a bit more.
I wonder if this helps shifting as it seems it might slow things down just a nano second for better engagement.. Just thinking aloud here I do like the comment about making it more of a muscle car feel thats a nice way to put it..

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Stock stuff is likely thin for mileage and cold weather operation. In Florida? I could careless about either vs extra wear or lost performance.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Smoother and more accurate shifts, Motul 300 Gear Lube is a low cost easy mod...

Stock stuff is likely thin for mileage and cold weather operation. In Florida? I could careless about either vs extra wear or lost performance.
I'm thinking the same thing. I have the stock stuff in bottles now...it's like water. The AMSOIL is thicker. It was cool today for Florida as well. I bet the thickness will come in great when the temp goes back up.

How funny that this thread is actively going on as I was coming here just to ask a question cause I remember rodmoe had swapped out his trans fluid. So I've done my fair share of B**ching about the fiesta's weird noises (which I've now gotten used to)... yet as the weather has gotten colder - sub 50's... its like its been transformed. Granted I still have the stock fluid, but there is minimal if any gear clunk in the colder temps - I LOVE IT!! Here I thought I was crazy but it sounds what I've experienced is correct....

So your guys' experience is changing out to motul 300 eliminates the gear clunk even in warmer weather? Not to mention makes gear changing smoother in general? Soooounds like a 100% must do "mod". Seriously I can't tell you how much NICER it is to drive without that gear clunk. Its literally a night and day difference in how the car makes me feel as I row through the gears. No clutch pedal creak plus no gear clunk = happy driver.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Had mine outside at work overnight (it was warm out too only got down to 30degF)and the Motul300 was a wee bit thick on the first shift like it should be but warmed up quick. Just a FYI for US up here in the seasonal climates Thicker lubes get stiffer feeling when cold till you drive a bit and get some heat in the trans..

JPGC

2000 Post Club
How funny that this thread is actively going on as I was coming here just to ask a question cause I remember rodmoe had swapped out his trans fluid. So I've done my fair share of B**ching about the fiesta's weird noises (which I've now gotten used to)... yet as the weather has gotten colder - sub 50's... its like its been transformed. Granted I still have the stock fluid, but there is minimal if any gear clunk in the colder temps - I LOVE IT!! Here I thought I was crazy but it sounds what I've experienced is correct....

So your guys' experience is changing out to motul 300 eliminates the gear clunk even in warmer weather? Not to mention makes gear changing smoother in general? Soooounds like a 100% must do "mod". Seriously I can't tell you how much NICER it is to drive without that gear clunk. Its literally a night and day difference in how the car makes me feel as I row through the gears. No clutch pedal creak plus no gear clunk = happy driver.
I drove a little over 60 miles today and could barely hear the clunk...I was listening for it. It was 72ish degrees outside and the trans was plenty warmed up. I can't say for sure though until it warms back up.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Just ordered $50 worth of motul 300 since the stock fluid jumped out at me when I pulled the CV axle, lol

Would this oil also work on the regular 5 speed Fiesta? Seeing as it's not exactly the same transmission!

Used motul oil in my Subaru's and al as loved their stuff

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
You are going to love the Motul:)
I sure hope so... I ordered 2 quarts from the local motor cycle shop for $50. They told me it would be Monday. I got on Amazon when I got home and they had it for $60 garenteed to be delivered by Thursday. So I ordered 2 more quarts from Amazon because I really needed it asap. Called the bike shop to cancel the order I had made that was gonna take 6 days to get to me and they would have to charge me a restocking fee. I said, "fine, charge me the fee". They seemed surprised. Then said, "we need your card to refund the money back on it". I said, "I don't exactly live next door to you guys". They didn't care about that either. So... I'll cancel it in Friday after I fix my car, if not... I'll have next trans oil change waiting.

My SRT4 trans was very good to me. It got synco-max oil changes every 6-8k miles because it was under such a hard load. My fiesta is lucky to get the engine oil changed that often, lol.

felopr

I sure hope so... I ordered 2 quarts from the local motor cycle shop for $50. They told me it would be Monday. I got on Amazon when I got home and they had it for $60 garenteed to be delivered by Thursday. So I ordered 2 more quarts from Amazon because I really needed it asap. Called the bike shop to cancel the order I had made that was gonna take 6 days to get to me and they would have to charge me a restocking fee. I said, "fine, charge me the fee". They seemed surprised. Then said, "we need your card to refund the money back on it". I said, "I don't exactly live next door to you guys". They didn't care about that either. So... I'll cancel it in Friday after I fix my car, if not... I'll have next trans oil change waiting.

My SRT4 trans was very good to me. It got synco-max oil changes every 6-8k miles because it was under such a hard load. My fiesta is lucky to get the engine oil changed that often, lol.
Let us know after you change the oil for a comparison - review