Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Smoother and more accurate shifts, Motul 300 Gear Lube is a low cost easy mod and worth it:)

Siestarider

I could not get pasted linky above to work, but Motul web site says for Fiesta ST use Multi DCTF in tranny. I believe that is what Izzy is saying.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #83
Might be an update in product and or recommended lube as I do not recall it when I picked what I used according to a member here, likely Rodmoe.

What I am using has been dang fine from 20 to 110 degrees though:)

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I switched from the AMSOIL to the Motul DCTF about 6k miles back. I liked the AMSOIL just fine but feel the the Motul DCTF performs a little better. It still shifts smooth with no issue.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
So I have 2qts of Motul 300, how do I go about refilling once I drain it? need to know before I do it.

I've already got redline mt-90 for a car I no longer own in the garage. Is this still going to be an improvement over the stock stuff? I'd like to put it to use and not spend money at the same time.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
I've already got redline mt-90 for a car I no longer own in the garage. Is this still going to be an improvement over the stock stuff? I'd like to put it to use and not spend money at the same time.
Should be no problem using the redline. I believe the OE dual clutch oil is 75w compared to the redline which is 75w90. I doubt you will see any improvement in shifting but who knows till you use it.

Rhinopolis

So I have 2qts of Motul 300, how do I go about refilling once I drain it? need to know before I do it.
You use a fluid pump, available at most auto parts stores. The pump has two ends and hoses are attached to each end. One hose draws fluid from out of your new bottle of fluid, and the other hose you insert in to the fill hole. Compress the pump and it works great.

It's usually a messy job (for me at least), and I keep plenty of paper shop towels nearby while doing this job to wipe away the slippery MTF. My axle seals have had problems leaking (replaced now three times under warranty), and I have regularly checked my MTF levels and refilled as needed. I have never had to remove the airbox to get to the fill hole, and draining then refilling your MTF fluid should not take you more than an hour or so max if you take your time.

TIP: Ford suggest filling the fluid until it is 1" from the top of your fill hole. Obviously in order to get this correct the car must be level. After you get it off the ground and level and you are in position to check where your fluid level is at,

1. I took a piece of 4" weed trimmer plastic wire and marked a 1" segment at one end of the wire with easy to see red permanent marker.
2. Take the end that is marked and insert it in to the fill hole until the top portion of your 1" mark is at the edge of the inner fill hole. Remove your wire and you should be able to easily see if your MTF level is near the top of the red mark or not.
3. Fill or remove as necessary.

EDIT: I just noticed how late I am to reply to your question...lol. Oh well, might help someone else thumbsup

So I decided to try switching from the stock fluid to Motul 300 at 1927 miles and I can't say I recommend it. It's thicker than the stock fluid obviously and while it did make my shifting feel different, it didn't make it feel better. It was probably quieter (less whine) like others have said, though I didn't notice personally. Overall it takes more effort to shift, and in the morning when it's cold it's even worse. It feels really stiff until it warms up. I ran it for a long time but at 8,000 miles I switched to Motul DCTF and man I didn't realize how much I hated the 300 until I switched. It's back to the low-effort shifting that this car is known for.

1. I took a piece of 4" weed trimmer plastic wire and marked a 1" segment at one end of the wire with easy to see red permanent marker.
2. Take the end that is marked and insert it in to the fill hole until the top portion of your 1" mark is at the edge of the inner fill hole. Remove your wire and you should be able to easily see if your MTF level is near the top of the red mark or not.
3. Fill or remove as necessary.
This is an Excellent idea. I'll have to do that next time. I used a fluid pump when I did the mtx fluid on my old Jetta GLI and it was a pain. When I did the Fiesta I got a measuring funnel with a valve on the bottom that lets you control the flow, and a tube. I caught all the fluid I took out of the car and measured it in the funnel, then cleaned it out and used the funnel and tube from the top to fill the hole with the exact same amount I took out. I had to remove the air-box, but that's not hard at all and it makes it so easy to just stick the tube in the hole and pour the fluid in that it's totally worth it. Took me less than half an hour to do the whole thing and that includes measuring the old fluid in my funnel.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
While we are talking about gear oils, one thing to take note of is the API rating. Ford requires a API GL-4 gear oil which is a typical requirement for a transaxle. Where you need to be careful is using a API GL-5 gear oil which contain high Sulphur and Phosphor elements which can cause wear and corrosion problems with the synchromesh cones.
These oil have that strong sulphur smell.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What will be the easiest way to fill it up correctly is to catch all you drain into a measurable container and take a reading. Then put back exactly what you took out back in. Boom that takes away the am I 1 inch from the fill hole guessing game!

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #95
As long as the proper amount of fluid was in the unit to start with:)

------------------

I have been driving my daughters Mazda 3S the last week and the shifter feels so vague I keep going from 2nd to 5th, long throws, etc and these cars are known to have decent shifters.....

Having reduced throw, tighter bushings, 2.5" raised height done at the shifter base, all DIY so no cost, makes a huge difference on my car, amazing shifting for a FWD.

I am not sure I would want a lighter weight fluid than the Motul 300 as with the feel of it, shortness, etc, I might be more prone to miss gears, right now I can feel exactly what is happening, perfect for my needs.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #96
Any updates on the current best lube for the trans with a Quaffe LSD?

Just 7k miles on mine but hard use and drained at the moment due to axle out for the turbo swap, Motul 300, lost a bit so have to buy a bottle or something else.

Post it up, please or I will just get more 300 as love it so far:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #97
Any updates on the current best lube for the trans with a Quaffe LSD?

Just 7k miles on mine but hard use and drained at the moment due to axle out for the turbo swap, Motul 300, lost a bit so have to buy a bottle or something else.

Post it up, please or I will just get more 300 as love it so far:)

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I am considering getting the 300 or the dctf. Dctf more directly seems to match specs and a little better fuel economy but I also would prefer smoother shifting so I'm trying to decide...

Sent using Tapatalk

I can say without a doubt the dctf is much smoother for me. 300 was really a chore to shift until it warmed up and even then it was more effort. Understandable since it's thicker. Notchiness felt about the same for both to me. Some people say the 300 is quieter, and it probably is, but I didn't notice personally.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I can say without a doubt the dctf is much smoother for me. 300 was really a chore to shift until it warmed up and even then it was more effort. Understandable since it's thicker. Notchiness felt about the same for both to me. Some people say the 300 is quieter, and it probably is, but I didn't notice personally.
Thanks! That's just what I needed to know.

Sent using Tapatalk