Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Smoother and more accurate shifts, Motul 300 Gear Lube is a low cost easy mod and worth it:)

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
You think this oil will work for plated LSD diff, like the NXG 3J.
Found a description here:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/fourseasonsandles/motul.jpg
Says it's for hypoid rear axels without LSD systems.

But is OEM oil usable with plated LSD.
Anyone know if the NXG 3J plates contacts the oil(is it sealed)?
Oh crap thats right your diff is not the same and the Quaife atb unit I would see what the LSD mfg has to recomend for its unit.. Sorry My bad I spaced that out...

I Emailed a guy at JAM Sport about this. With the NXG 3J plated diff he recommended the Motul 300 LS, Instead of the Multi DCTF that meets OEM specs.
I only asked specifically about those two oil types, so it might be other oils that's better suited.
The Motul 300 LS should be fine to use with the NXG 3J plated diff[driving]

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
fixing to pour this very attractive bottle of fluid in.... Geezzzz really? 1.8L ? just make it 2 quarts you jerks... I'll report back When I have something to report :>

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club

The best and easiest way to do it FOR SURE.

Remove the air box, pull the filler neck out of the bottle, kick the neck with your finger over the outlet hole. Poke the filler into the trans, don't squeeze, just lay the jug against the car and let it gravity fill.

MOFiST

Remove the air box, pull the filler neck out of the bottle, kick the neck with your finger over the outlet hole. Poke the filler into the trans, don't squeeze, just lay the jug against the car and let it gravity fill.
The toy pump I used felt dodgy so this looks a much simpler way.
Any feedback on shifting performance?

felopr

I Emailed a guy at JAM Sport about this. With the NXG 3J plated diff he recommended the Motul 300 LS, Instead of the Multi DCTF that meets OEM specs.
I only asked specifically about those two oil types, so it might be other oils that's better suited.
The Motul 300 LS should be fine to use with the NXG 3J plated diff[driving]
not to trust ur post but, who is this guy at JAM sport that tell me not to use something the oem recommends? what is jam sport anyways?
not trying to be mean or anything but is kinda hard to believe some guy to use something that the oem would not recommend, especially with oils.
If this post was for the quaife, nvm me them lol

felopr

Winning, btw typo on that label it say 5w90 lol

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Lol, 5W-90, I don't think that's even possible.

Ok, I used to change the synomax in my srt4 every 6-8k miles due to the extreme load it was under, and every single time, when I changed the fluid, it shifted noticeably better. I kept thinking everytime, "no way this is gonna shift better, I just changed it not even 10k miles ago and it feels fine still". And I'd change it and BAMM instant difference in feel (improvement).

Well... That is the samething I just experienced with this fluid. Driving the car entirely was a little funny at first after drive human-sized cars for a week, but after 35 miles, I'm happy to say its really a nice, noticeable, for sure improvement. And there is more.

When i read a lot of people complaining about the noisey shifting sound, I not only agreed with them, but chuckled and thought to myself "wait until the really start getting some wear and abuse on the trans like my car has". Meaning, I thought my gear change noise was prob louder than everyone elses, that's how loud it WAS. I actually suffered through some cold weather in my face with the windows down, and tried to hear the shifting noise, AND ITS GONE. Also keep in mind that my cowling between the hood and firewall is removed completely ( and has been for about 3 months ), and I can REALLY hear a lot of direct injection noise because of this, but even with the cowl out, I didn't hear any shifter action. I am sure its not dead silent, but wow, what a remarkable improvement is noise reduction.

I'm going to keep the extra two quarts that were forced on me now, lol. Between the easy installation with the bottle built-in filer neck, improved shifting, and quiet operation this is a mod that I do recommend.

I also want to say that the drain plug had very little metal on it. I expected more shaving from this being the trans first oil change. I'll prob change the tran fluid once every 2-3 oil changes, its just so easy.

not to trust ur post but, who is this guy at JAM sport that tell me not to use something the oem recommends? what is jam sport anyways?
not trying to be mean or anything but is kinda hard to believe some guy to use something that the oem would not recommend, especially with oils.
If this post was for the quaife, nvm me them lol
If my post was unclear, Motul 300 LS was only recommended with the NXG 3J plated differential installed.
I hope it performs as good as it looks
IMG_20141208_200535894.jpg IMG_20141208_200831007.jpg

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #73
Differential fluid is made for specific types of differentials.

A stock unit has no limited slip and does not need the friction modifiers so the stock fluid is not the best for a limited slip that depends on them.
Ford specifies a very thin fluid, considering all the pressure on corporate fuel mileage here that makes sense but it makes for a noisier transmission and under the load the tuned cars are putting on it most likely more wear, more failures.

A plated diff has clutch disks and the more common name in the US is a clutch type limited slip and it needs the modifiers so the Motul Gear 300 LS is for that type and Motul makes some of the best fluids in the world, it is a superb choice and if recommended by the manufacturer of the LS then it is what is likely the best for it. There are other fluids that are great but why take a chance, just use the one recommended.

A gear driven limited slip, like the Quaife does not need friction modifiers, which are likely bad for the unit, so it does not need an LS designated fluid. Again the Motul Gear 300 (none LS) is a superb fluid and has already been used very successfully in these cars with the Quaife and since the stock diff is just gear driven without limited slip it makes sense it will work great in a stock differential.

Bottom line:
-Stock diff, stock fluid, setup for fuel mileage more than performance, noisy, likely more wear.
-Plated(clutch type) LS needs friction modifiers to work properly, Motul Gear 300 LS is one of the best to use.
-Gear driven LS, modifiers not needed, Motul Gear 300 is one of the best and already in used with great results.
-There are other good lubes but we already know how good these work.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Lol, 5W-90, I don't think that's even possible.

Ok, I used to change the synomax in my srt4 every 6-8k miles due to the extreme load it was under, and every single time, when I changed the fluid, it shifted noticeably better. I kept thinking everytime, "no way this is gonna shift better, I just changed it not even 10k miles ago and it feels fine still". And I'd change it and BAMM instant difference in feel (improvement).

Well... That is the samething I just experienced with this fluid. Driving the car entirely was a little funny at first after drive human-sized cars for a week, but after 35 miles, I'm happy to say its really a nice, noticeable, for sure improvement. And there is more.

When i read a lot of people complaining about the noisey shifting sound, I not only agreed with them, but chuckled and thought to myself "wait until the really start getting some wear and abuse on the trans like my car has". Meaning, I thought my gear change noise was prob louder than everyone elses, that's how loud it WAS. I actually suffered through some cold weather in my face with the windows down, and tried to hear the shifting noise, AND ITS GONE. Also keep in mind that my cowling between the hood and firewall is removed completely ( and has been for about 3 months ), and I can REALLY hear a lot of direct injection noise because of this, but even with the cowl out, I didn't hear any shifter action. I am sure its not dead silent, but wow, what a remarkable improvement is noise reduction.

I'm going to keep the extra two quarts that were forced on me now, lol. Between the easy installation with the bottle built-in filer neck, improved shifting, and quiet operation this is a mod that I do recommend.

I also want to say that the drain plug had very little metal on it. I expected more shaving from this being the trans first oil change. I'll prob change the tran fluid once every 2-3 oil changes, its just so easy.
Nice review man, based on this thread, I will be switching over to Motul

felopr

Differential fluid is made for specific types of differentials.

A stock unit has no limited slip and does not need the friction modifiers so the stock fluid is not the best for a limited slip that depends on them.
Ford specifies a very thin fluid, considering all the pressure on corporate fuel mileage here that makes sense but it makes for a noisier transmission and under the load the tuned cars are putting on it most likely more wear, more failures.

A plated diff has clutch disks and the more common name in the US is a clutch type limited slip and it needs the modifiers so the Motul Gear 300 LS is for that type and Motul makes some of the best fluids in the world, it is a superb choice and if recommended by the manufacturer of the LS then it is what is likely the best for it. There are other fluids that are great but why take a chance, just use the one recommended.

A gear driven limited slip, like the Quaife does not need friction modifiers, which are likely bad for the unit, so it does not need an LS designated fluid. Again the Motul Gear 300 (none LS) is a superb fluid and has already been used very successfully in these cars with the Quaife and since the stock diff is just gear driven without limited slip it makes sense it will work great in a stock differential.

Bottom line:
-Stock diff, stock fluid, setup for fuel mileage more than performance, noisy, likely more wear.
-Plated(clutch type) LS needs friction modifiers to work properly, Motul Gear 300 LS is one of the best to use.
-Gear driven LS, modifiers not needed, Motul Gear 300 is one of the best and already in used with great results.
-There are other good lubes but we already know how good these work.
thanks for the info man, much appreciated

Has anybody been running Motul Gear 300 long term? Any issues? Thinking about changing out my factory gear oil at only 1717 miles to get rid of the break in particles, and if this oil is better than stock...

Izzy

Give it a shot no different then when we were mixing GM synchromesh with honda trans lube back in the day.. Options are good and you can always dump it if it does nothing ;)
I still remember how well synchromesh worked on my JDM Honda Tranny.

Izzy