Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock FiST? Start with a diff!

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I disagree. E30 tune first.

And what is this talk of an LSD fixing torque steer? Or RMMs for that matter? Unequal halfshafts cause torque steer. No motor mount, much less an LSD is going to mitigate that.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
So everybody that has reduced their torque steer from better motor mounts, and chassis bracing is making it up?
If better motor mounts help not pull the steering wheel out of your hand, and keep the car straight is that not reducing torque steer?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
So everybody that has reduced their torque steer from better motor mounts, and chassis bracing is making it up?

Yup. I did a comparison test with a local MS3 years ago. He had stock mounts, I had JBR RMM, TMM, and PMM. 80 duro all around. We set up a camera in and outside the cars, did a 1st gear roll on throttle hands off the steering wheel. Didn't make a noticeable difference. We both were making similar power, tuned by the same tuner. Ms3 was notorious for torque steer, and came stock with an LSD.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Yup. I did a comparison test with a local MS3 years ago. He had stock mounts, I had JBR RMM, TMM, and PMM. 80 duro all around. We set up a camera in and outside the cars, did a 1st gear roll on throttle hands off the steering wheel. Didn't make a noticeable difference. We both were making similar power, tuned by the same tuner. Ms3 was notorious for torque steer, and came stock with an LSD.

I'm not in the business of calling other people liars so good luck with that.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I work at a Ford dealership, I would do these all day long at 11 hours if anyone is interested in bringing it to me. I would have to tackle it on a Saturday but I would have it in the car in one day. Just drop the car off to me the night before. I'd do it for $80 an hour. (y)
I would be all over this if you were closer to me.

Dpro

6000 Post Club

I would say thats a MS3 not a FiST. Different cars different suspension tweaks can not be compared this way.
You are up against people who have done the swaps and reported back . You have not done it on a FiST and are speculating based off another vehicle which is not relevant.

Go do the homework and come back and tell us what we have noticed is not real lol.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I would say thats a MS3 not a FiST. Different cars different suspension tweaks can not be compared this way.
You are up against people who have done the swaps and reported back . You have not done it on a FiST and are speculating based off another vehicle which is not relevant.

Go do the homework and come back and tell us what we have noticed is not real lol.
So the causes are not comparable, but the solutions are the same. So who fixed torque steer? Which RMM/LSD/chassis brace combo fixed it so I can launch in a straight line with my hands off the wheel?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So the causes are not comparable, but the solutions are the same. So who fixed torque steer? Which RMM/LSD/chassis brace combo fixed it so I can launch in a straight line with my hands off the wheel?
well there are a number of solutions here why don”t you search as they have been posted.
As far as hands off the wheels goes thats a ridiculous experiment as no one launches there car with out there hands on the steering wheel RWD or FWD .

Like I said if you doubt do the homework. You are the one calling us out after we provided solutions. We have already done it and talked about you have not.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
The LSD would be my first upgrade if someone told me this install eliminates the clanking while shifting.

Can anyone answer that question? Does installing a LSD eliminate the clanking while engaging/disengaging the clutch pedal?
My car clanked before the install. My car clanks after the install. Some of your noise is due to the dual mass flywheel. If you get a gear driven LSD you will have an added noise of the LSD gears meshing (even while driving straight)

SST

so if i am in the market of a LSD, the Mfactory ones fit the bill but how does it compare to a Quaife ?

so if i am in the market of a LSD, the Mfactory ones fit the bill but how does it compare to a Quaife ?
The are both torque sensing helical (gear-type) limited slip differentials. The difference is $300-400 and the name. Both have good reputations and have been installed by some forum members in the past.

The Wavetrac supposedly has its own patented technology (something about spider gears as I recall). A guy named liteswitch had it and liked it. I’ve never seen anyone with the Kaaz 1.5 clutch type installed on a FiST.

Ha! I was gonna joke and ask if you're the Douglass about 20 mins from me... turns out you are. I grew up around Andover/Augusta - I'll keep you in mind if I ever want to invest in one!
Right on man, well I am pretty active in the autocross scene around here. If you ever want to meet up and cruise let me know. I have two FiST's, the blue car has the MFactory LSD. I would let you drive it and show you how much better the car feels with it installed so you can have a good idea how the car handles

I'm in ICT. I'd live to see the difference a lsd makes. Ever make it to cars and coffee?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm in ICT. I'd live to see the difference a lsd makes. Ever make it to cars and coffee?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I have not made it out to a cars and coffee meet yet. I do not have a face space or my book or whatever the hell it is so I never have any idea when they go on lol I would love to get more involved with the local FiSTers here in the area though. We should start an ST meet

The LSD would be my first upgrade if someone told me this install eliminates the clanking while shifting.

Can anyone answer that question? Does installing a LSD eliminate the clanking while engaging/disengaging the clutch pedal?
I always get that while doing a lazy nanna shift from 1st to 2nd when engine is cold.. I thought it was the dual mass flywheel. As soon as you start revving it out properly between gears it's all gone, for me anyway..

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

I always get that while doing a lazy nanna shift from 1st to 2nd when engine is cold.. I thought it was the dual mass flywheel. As soon as you start revving it out properly between gears it's all gone, for me anyway..

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

I’ve kind of noticed the same thing.

kevinatfms

No. I have the Mfactory installed per the Ford workshop manual, shimmed correctly and it still clunks a bit. This is also with a CP-E lower roll restrictor. The clanking you usually hear is from the dual mass flywheel. Swap in a sprung hub clutch and a single mass flywheel if you hate the clanking. I love having an LSD and it was one of my "must do" modifications but i planned on it from the beginning.

It should not be your first modification if you want to autocross it competitively though. The Fiesta ST is perfect in the HS category and dominates the competition. Once you add a limited slip diff it immediately goes into STH which is significantly harder to compete in. Then you need to add dampers and springs(or coilovers), a rear bar, bushings, camber/caster and others just to keep up with the faster hot hatches in the class.

If it were me the first mod would be some lightweight 16x7's and some 205/45R16 RE71R's. Spend the other money on entering as many driving events as you can. The Fiesta in stock form is exceptionally good with a very neutral balance.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I've found that my employee rate of labor for an LSD install with me supplying the parts would be around $700. Thats not too shabby considering I was told normal customer pay was pretty much twice that.