Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sudden miss under heavy boost

Was racing an abarth and started missing under 25 psi of boost on cylinder 2 then had a consistent miss and now the car wont start, prior to this was getting strong smells of gas wafting into the cabin. Any guesses if this could be a coil pack or am I probably looking at an engine? If so how much all in for a replacement engine

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Was racing an abarth and started missing under 25 psi of boost on cylinder 2 then had a consistent miss and now the car wont start, prior to this was getting strong smells of gas wafting into the cabin. Any guesses if this could be a coil pack or am I probably looking at an engine? If so how much all in for a replacement engine
What codes are stored?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
R
Thread Starter #3
What codes are stored?

Just a cylinder 2 misfire, had to leave the car on the side of the interstate, i think p0202. but pulled the code from cobb AP and it definitely said cylinder 2 misfire, that was the only code. OCT adjust ratio dropped to 0 too

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just a cylinder 2 misfire, had to leave the car on the side of the interstate, i think p0202. but pulled the code from cobb AP and it definitely said cylinder 2 misfire, that was the only code. OCT adjust ratio dropped to 0 too
0 not -0? How many miles on the car? I'd be pulling the coil and plug and doing a compression check on that Cyl and all the others.

OP
R
Thread Starter #5
0 not -0? How many miles on the car? I'd be pulling the coil and plug and doing a compression check on that Cyl and all the others.

91k, mostly highway. I unfortunately had to go to work and am heading out of town for work tomorrow and won't have time before I go. The existential dread is real. Any idea of what a new engine would cost?

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Car should technically start if it's a coil. But change coils 4 and 2 and see if it'll start with a miss on cylinder 4. If that's the case it's just a bad coil. Otherwise, like I recommend to everyone else, go to AutoZone and borrow their compression tester. If the numbers aren't close, start saving up. Most of the time it's a hole in a piston.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
91k, mostly highway. I unfortunately had to go to work and am heading out of town for work tomorrow and won't have time before I go. The existential dread is real. Any idea of what a new engine would cost?
I'd say anywhere between $800-$1800. Depending on mileage for a used option. New 2500-8k for performance variants.

OP
R
Thread Starter #10
Also, if your on stock turbo I wouldn't consider 25 psi heavy boost. That's just another day lol.

Yeah stock turbo, I'm really hopping it's just the coil pack. Fucking sucks that it breaks down right before I go out of town for four days now I have to sit and worry about my baby :(

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Yeah stock turbo, I'm really hopping it's just the coil pack. Fucking sucks that it breaks down right before I go out of town for four days now I have to sit and worry about my baby :(
More than likely it's just the coil. They are pretty reliable at failing around 100k miles. Also, you weren't really pushing it hard. My engine blew at around 35-40 psi on the stock turbo. So there's hope. Also, labors gonna be a lot more but you could try putting the engine in yourself. It really isn't that hard. Just need a good socket set and a cherry picker really.

OP
R
Thread Starter #12
More than likely it's just the coil. They are pretty reliable at failing around 100k miles. Also, you weren't really pushing it hard. My engine blew at around 35-40 psi on the stock turbo. So there's hope. Also, labors gonna be a lot more but you could try putting the engine in yourself. It really isn't that hard. Just need a good socket set and a cherry picker really.

Know of any write ups? I've pulled subie engines before but theyre basically legos...

OP
R
Thread Starter #17
Holy shit that's a new one!
Yeah it's nuts, this thing was spewing so much oil it was pouring out the hotside, hence the smoke under engine. I purchased a hybrid from whoosh but was debating on a 2860r gen 2, not a fan of a 2 month lead time on the hybrid, what are your guy's thoughts

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Yeah it's nuts, this thing was spewing so much oil it was pouring out the hotside, hence the smoke under engine. I purchased a hybrid from whoosh but was debating on a 2860r gen 2, not a fan of a 2 month lead time on the hybrid, what are your guy's thoughts
I’m running a 2860 Gen 2. Love it but the kit comes from ATP leaving something to be desired on the manifold adapter solution

OP
R
Thread Starter #19
I’m running a 2860 Gen 2. Love it but the kit comes from ATP leaving something to be desired on the manifold adapter solution
I was going to order from whoosh and get the upgraded waste gate for lower spool. When does your power come on? And how difficult was install

I know you're replacing the turbo but as someone who just went through a very annoying misfire saga, replace those coils too. Mine were cooked at 80k.