Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Swapping my factory wheels to 16's need advice?

I'm seeing a few 215 summer options on tirerack... can we run that wide of a cross section on 16x7's?
I run 215/45r16 Falken RT660s for autocross, and on 42mm offset Sparco Assetto Garas, they fit fine. I think the RT660 is supposed to run a bit on the wide side.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm seeing a few 215 summer options on tirerack... can we run that wide of a cross section on 16x7's?
For street use, the narrower wheels might even be a benefit as far as ride quality/comfort goes.

Of course, as far as ultimate autocross/open track functionality goes, you want the gumballs mounted on an 8" wide wheel. [wink] [driving]

Last edited:
For street use, the narrower wheels might even be a benefit as far as ride quality/comfort goes.

Of course, for ultimate autocross/open track functionality goes, you want the gumballs mounted on an 8" wide wheel. [wink] [driving]
I want the ultimate street experience for central Ohio. Read: beat to shit roads/potholes/expansion joints the size of grand canyon, tons of rain, and a short AF summer tire season (April fool's to Halloween... if I'm lucky). So sick spinning... I remember how grippy this car was on stock summers, want that feeling back.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I want the ultimate street experience for central Ohio. Read: beat to shit roads/potholes/expansion joints the size of grand canyon, tons of rain, and a short AF summer tire season (April fool's to Halloween... if I'm lucky). So sick spinning... I remember how grippy this car was on stock summers, want that feeling back.
Sounds like the roads are designed for SUVs. Maybe those pristine utility vehicles really are getting some simulated "off road" use. :LOL: Yip the snow plows eat up the roads and the road salt melts the vehicles.

Been lucky with 215/45R17s and haven't needed to go to a 16 wheel. I do maintain tire pressure around 40PSI front. Rear needs to remain closer to stock pressure or it begins to fish tail too easily.

There can be a massive difference in tire build between manufacturers. Some have comparably weak sidewalls. The wallso on the Coopers I have aren't as strong as the walls on the stock tire.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
IMHO, only the 205/50's will give you that. Yes, they look borderline goofy with the tall sidewall, but you know you have to compromise. I'm running Indy's on 16x6.5 and it's a much more comfortable DD. Yeah, I gave up some cornering, but only at extreme or very aggressive levels. I compared them to the 205/45's and they were too close to stock for ME in a DD. (never track my car - that's what the roads are for...officer)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, if you install one of the narrower in tread and section width 205/50-16s on a 16x7, that is about as 'cushy' as you can go and not rub, without going to a tall 15" setup, while still having acceptable turn-in and handling.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
So what do you generally want to avoid?
Soft shocks paired with sticky tires with lots of sidewall?
Most important thing is to simply drive within the limits of any vehicle. Those limits are altered with every change. That's all we have to be mindful of. Even the most purposefully engineered vehicles are still susceptible to driver error.
View: https://youtu.be/XuTaOaSCYQI?t=3