Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

SYNC3 on 2016 FiST

You don't have to do anything at all for Carplay to work, except plug in the phone with an Apple-supplied lightning cable. It worked with the Sync 3 the way it came from the factory, no updates or modifications needed.The instructions are on this page: https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync/sync-3/sync-3-plus-apple-carplay-support/

If yours isn't doing it, check that someone didn't disable Carplay in the Settings section of Sync 3. There's a mention of that towards the bottom of the web page I linked.
I thought to have CarPlay to work you have to swap out the USB hub. That’s what I did when I went from my ford touch to sync 3 on my 2014

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I thought to have CarPlay to work you have to swap out the USB hub. That’s what I did when I went from my ford touch to sync 3 on my 2014
The newer ones (2016 up) that came with Sync 3 from the factory have it built in. Apparently the OP in this thread has an early model 2016 that came with Sync 2 instead of Sync 3.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Early Sync 3 had 2 USB jacks like in my car, if I had an Apple I would have to change the hub to a new 1 USB for Android and 1 Apple jack hub.
The newer ones (2016 up) that came with Sync 3 from the factory have it built in. Apparently the OP in this thread has an early model 2016 that came with Sync 2 instead of Sync 3.
SteveS, you are mistaken, my car came with Sync 3 version 1, not Sync 2, I would not have bought it with Sync 2. Even Ford could not update my Sync 3 due to memory issues with non-nav units as stated above. It was replace under warranty with a new version. As shown below it came with 2 USB jacks and required a hub change for Car Play which I declined as I don't do Apple and I use 1 USB for music and 1 for Android Auto. See below for more info.

From;
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...tware-update-apple-android-2016-vehicles.html

"DEARBORN, Mich., May 19, 2017 – Ford is making Android Auto and Apple CarPlay software support available to model-year 2016 vehicles equipped with SYNC 3. Customers with model-year 2016 Ford vehicles can update to the new SYNC 3 version 2.2 by downloading to a USB drive, visiting a dealership or automatically through a Wi-Fi connection.

“Our SYNC 3 software platform was designed to be easy to update so we can get our customers the latest and greatest features, functionally and security enhancements,” said Don Butler, executive director, Ford Connected Vehicle and Services. “With over-the-air updates, we can deliver new features to customers in the background while they continue using their vehicles.”

Customers can update their software by visiting owner.ford.com to download and install with a USB drive, or by visiting a dealership. Customers with Wi-Fi-enabled vehicles and a Wi-Fi network can set up their vehicle to receive the update automatically.

Android Auto

Compatible with Android™ devices 5.0 and higher, Android Auto brings the Android experience into the vehicle safely and easily with Google Maps, Google Play Music, phone, messaging and third party apps projected on the car's built-in display and available via voice controls. With a simplified interface, large touch targets, Google voice search and easy-to-use voice controls, Android Auto is designed to minimize distraction while on the road.

Android, Android Auto, Google Maps and Google Play are trademarks of Google Inc.

Apple CarPlay

Compatible with iPhone 5 and later models running iOS 7.1 or higher, Apple CarPlay gives iPhone users an intuitive way to make phone calls, use voice-guided navigation, listen to music, and send and receive messages while staying focused on the road. Users can control Apple CarPlay through the in-vehicle display or via Siri voice control. Apple CarPlay support requires a USB hub upgrade available through Ford dealers."

SYNC 3 currently supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay on all model-year 2017 Ford cars including the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion and Mustang, SUVs including the Escape, Explorer and Expedition, F-Series trucks and Ford’s electrified vehicles.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
jmrtsus, you are not the OP. But if my mistake was that early 2016s had an early version of Sync 3 that required a Ford dealer to update with a different USB hub (and possibly a different whole unit), rather than Sync 2, then I stand corrected.

Nonetheless, the OP was saying the Ford website was giving him Sync 3.4 based on his VIN. But Sync 3.4 isn't necessary for Carplay to work. The OP might need a Carplay compatible USB hub. But he doesn't seem to be participating in the thread any more.

Nonetheless, later cars don't require anything to be done for Carplay to work.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
To resolve your issue you need a 2016 Sync 3 nav unit or a 2017 up non nav as both have the memory to upgrade version 1. Your current unit does not. Been through it and Ford replaced it under warranty with a 2017 non-nav unit and all has been well for over 3 years.......updates via Wi-Fi now.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
jmrtsus, you are not the OP. But if my mistake was that early 2016s had an early version of Sync 3 that required a Ford dealer to update with a different USB hub (and possibly a different whole unit), rather than Sync 2, then I stand corrected.

Nonetheless, the OP was saying the Ford website was giving him Sync 3.4 based on his VIN. But Sync 3.4 isn't necessary for Carplay to work. The OP might need a Carplay compatible USB hub. But he doesn't seem to be participating in the thread any more.

Nonetheless, later cars don't require anything to be done for Carplay to work.
He will be stuck buying a new one/used unit for it to work.....I fought with Ford for over a year before they found the issue, the non-nav unit has enough System memory to hold the 2.2 update enabling Android Auto but NOT enough RAM to actually load it properly, so updates start and hang like his. Once Ford figured it out they replaced it quickly.

OP
wcnST
Thread Starter #27
Great, sounds like I am going to have to spend some money to get what I want out of it. Hmm....

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Trying to update 2016 non-nav is risky. I wouldn't risk it.
IIRC mine remains 2.1 and nearly crippled/bricked it just following Ford's instructions trying to get it there.
@jmrtsus mentioned warranty replacement, however I'm sure that ship has sailed at this point.

DEss

Great, sounds like I am going to have to spend some money to get what I want out of it. Hmm....
You can try to update a non-nav, but it's a multi-step process. I used two USB drives. One that just updates the voice file (must do this first to avoid the memory error) then the other drive with the actual entire update files.

Refer to this: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/sync-3-technical-discussion-399837/?ispreloading=1