Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Test drove a Focus ST and Fiesta ST today...

To the original comment, as others have said, the Fiesta is unique in the fact that the ST w/ Recaros and the ST w/out Recaros both have the same Sync 3 infotainment system in the US, while Europe has different trim levels like the Focus ST does. The Focus ST, on the other hand, has three trim levels - ST1, ST2, and ST3. The ST2 and ST3 come with Sync 3 in 2016 models and MyFord Touch in 2015 and older models, and the ST1 comes with the standard non-touchscreen Sync system with the tiny 4" screen and is all around pretty crappy (I had an ST1 Focus for a bit).

So yeah, no need to get the Recaros if you hate them just to get Sync 3 on the Fiesta. That said, the non-Recaro seats in the Focus ST have more bolstering and support than the non-Recaro seats in the Fiesta, so you will definitely not be as gripped and locked in should you go the standard seat route with the FiST.

Touching on what you said about performance... The Focus is faster, but it is also 500lbs more (roughly) and isn't as fast as it should be for its specs in my opinion. The FiST doesn't have the raw grunt, but it is way noticeably lighter and that makes it feel faster than it is so you don't feel like you're driving a dog slow car (unless you're used to 12 second cars that do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds of course). Also, hard specs from professionals put the 0-60 on the FoST at 5.9-6.5 sec and the same professionals claim 6.5-7.1 on the FiST in their tests so it isn't like we're comparing a Prius and a Ferrari... the FoST is really just a tiny bit faster than the FiST in the end when it comes to 0-60 and a part of that boils down to the fact that you can hit 60 in 2nd in the FoST and you have to bang 3rd to get it in the Fiesta. For the 1/4 mile, I've seen pros claim 14.3-14.8 for the FoST and 14.8-15.1 for the FiST, so again, not exactly insane differences. Talking stock here, not getting into mod ceilings.

Also, in the 4 months I owned it, the FoST had this very, very unusual sense of being super cramped inside while still feeling like you were driving a huge car. Even though it is a bigger car than the FiST I never felt like I had a ton of room inside yet the car still felt heavy and big at the same time. I'm not going to say it didn't have its merits and that it wasn't ever fun to drive or that it didn't handle well, but to me the FiST is far and away the better driver's car and does everything better minus cargo room, rear leg room, and is a bit off on the straight line speed. Oh, I also did like the steering wheel better in the FoST, but the one in the FiST isn't too shabby either.

I've had racing style seats in a few cars including -

'89 Isuzu I-Mark RS Sedan and the '03 Neon SRT-4.

The I-Mark had actual Recaro seats as an option and I had them.

The SRT-4 has Viper inspired seats.

The SRT-4 I've driven to Las Vegas and then to Sacramento and then back to Los Angeles in 24 hr period. I've also driven it from LA to Sacramento and back. Only complaint was the lack of cruise control...

The I-Mark was a regular of the late 80's/early 90's Palm Springs Spring Break scene. Also many a cruise night in Oxnard, CA on Savers Rd. Not to mention San Fernando street races.

I was much younger in those days but I was 37 when I bought the SRT-4.

I also have the GTI, Fiesta ST and Focus ST are on my short list.

The Focus ST is plenty fast, too many poor drivers own them. It's capable of running 13's in the 1/4 mile stock down to the paper filter; a few have done it. It takes good track conditions (just above sea level + cool weather), good command of the clutch pedal, sport mode and 93 octane fuel for best power production on the stock tune.

So when C&D claims (and they did) a Mk7 GTI is faster they are full of it. Even under the best track conditions, a stock GTI can only muster low 14's. Same with the V6 Honda Accord Coupe which is another car they said matches the Focus ST.

The HP advantage is real but the car produces peak power on 93 octane, not 91...

I can agree that the Focus ST felt a little crowded but no less crowded than the Fiesta ST. Both cars I sat in had the Recaros, so I think that's the effect of the seats, nothing I can't get use to.

It would only take spending some time with the seats to get them where I want them. I've driven both without the Recaros and they are fine too.

The GTI's advantage is a slightly larger fuel tank (1 gallon), taller 2nd/6th gear so it gets better EPA/Real World mileage than the Focus and comes close to the Fiesta ST. It also has better head and leg room in the back, larger cargo area, more aftermarket support and only the WRX and the last EVO can produce more power from the stock turbo. APR Stage 2 or GIAC Stage 2 will put you over 330 hp at the wheels, just upgrade the stock down pipe.

GTI's will run 11's on the stock turbo, even with DSG. It takes turbo upgrades to get either the Fiesta or Focus to match that.

Like for like you aren't saving any money getting the Ford. Since Diesel Gate VW sales have dropped 25% year to year, so they are being very aggressive. Not uncommon to get a GTI S for $23K, SE for $26K or Autobahn for $28K before incentives.

I am a long-time Sirius radio subscriber. The Focus ST1 lacks even that, forcing the upgrade to ST2. Since Sync 3 comes with the Fiesta ST, Sirius is standard. It's also a standard equipment in all GTI's.

One thing I that really brothers me about the Fiesta is that it's actually smaller than my current car (Hyundai Accent 2015). I do ride share (Uber and Lyft) the Accent is fine, I get compliments on it constantly. I talked to two people that do Uber/Lyft, one with a Fiesta ST and one with a Focus ST, both 2015. They are also family men so the have kids too. They say riders like either car.

While I've never sat in the back of the Fiesta I do like the fact taller people can sit in the Focus, even more so in the GTI since the rear of the car doesn't slope like the Focus does.

I've considered leasing the Fiesta ST just to keep the payments low and then get another car just to do Ride Share.

I can get either car to run 11.5 which is the fastest it needs to go because for 11.4 and faster you need a six point, jacket, racing belts, scatter shield and some times an engine blanket to prevent oil downs.

It becomes less friendly as a daily driver at that point.

It's a hard choice but a got a few months to make it.

I owned a '14 Focus ST2, and the cloth recaros are much much more comfortable than the full leather ones. I initially test drove an ST3, and I actually had bruises on my torso from the seats after 15 minutes. I was ready to skip the car as a choice after that, but the partial leather ones had much more give and felt good, even on long trips. Wasn't happy that you couldn't get seat heaters on anything other than the ST3 though.

Mine was full stage 3, and rolling tire smoking in 2nd was as easy as matting the pedal, even with 255 width tires on it on 9" wide Enkei RPF1s. I had also done swaybars and other suspension tweaks, and the car was a blast up on the Tail of the Dragon and other great NC roads.

All that said, it definitely felt a lot larger than the FiST, and lacked the tossability of our little beasts. The tail happiness in the FoST is due to a rear swaybar that has flat sides where it mounts, effectively "keying" it to radically ramp up roll resistance as torsion is applied. It is more of a gimmick, and can be a real issue if you don't realize how it spikes for oversteer. Aftermarket bars cure this, though you lose some of the driftability to gain consistent handling.

For handling I prefer the FiST. For acceleration and interstate travels I prefer the FoST. For stoplight brawls I prefer the '15 GT I had inbetween the two, heh.