Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Testing cooling fans -Resolved-

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Since the deer hit i keep finding things improperly fixed on the car. Last weekend as some folks know i discovered my cooling fan wasnt plugged into the module on the shroud. Its been that way for a month i guess. Idk if the dude fixing it overlooked it in a rush to get the car done, among other rushed things.

Is there a way to test the system and make sure its working? Maybe with forscan??
Its my only car, and i really dont want to take it into the dealer and be without a car for weeks again.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Warm up the car to idle temp and fan should turn on after load I believe so maybe short drive and step out and check?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
That could work. Youd think after driving 40 minutes to work it would have turned on in the parking lot.

Ideally id like to test the system without the car getting warm. Incase it isnt working. I know i can watch temps on my AP.

Last edited:

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
If you just wanna make sure the fan works you can also just jump it. Attach the leads to the harness directly from a 12v source.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Did you try turning on the AC to max?
This should cause the fan to run.
This way you prove the high speed fan works.
Running the car with the coolant cap off will cause the engine to heat up faster.
This way you can see if the low speed fan runs.
BTW: there is only one fan motor, the speeds are controlled by the fan relay/module.

Last edited:
OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
^ i did try that and they hadnt turned on then. I can try it again. Perhaps i didnt let it sit and idle long enough after the oil change. It was only 40 degrees out. I also fear that the module might have busted in the accident somehow.

Last edited:
OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Anybody have a printout of the circuit i could follow to see if a ground got missed ?

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
I popped the hood and checked with my flashlight when i got home. Sure enough the low speed setting is working. I barely hear it when it comes on. Though that might be the lack of ducting and proper seal around the radiator. But she does spin. Thats a huge relief.