Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thoughts, recs re: work ramps?

Perry

I was planning on purchasing some of these Rhino Ramps for use working on the car.

Just heard from an allegedly reliable source [ahem] that these things aren't reliable, however. Some supposedly have a tendency to deform under load. (That sounds bad.) Anyone else heard of this being at all an issue? I have a hard time believing they're selling them in the states if this is a real concern, but, if it does happen, well, it might ruin my day, so . . . .

Experience, thoughts, recommendations welcome.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I have not used this particular brand but I have a set of composite ramps I use for quick oil changes and what not I tend to use jack stands only because i get better clearance and more room under the car.. Just make sure you have them even when you drive on and the don't creep away from you as you do like if the splitter hits and pushes them on a lowered car then you may need to do the 2x6 trick..

Go slow and have a Spotter the first few time or all the time if you can..

Like mine

I really like these too

Worst case BOZO

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I have the same ramps that Rod has and have used them for the last 10 years without any issues.

Rhino is claiming they are good up to 12000# GVW. So in theory they are good for full size trucks and suv's much less our little FiST. Don't forget the Chocks!

I just use jack stands, but my dad has always used ramps. He has metal ones he bought in the 80's that still work great.

I too have the same ones as rodmoe. Work great, little close on the lip but bearable. Just used them this weekend to tighten all of my hose clamps. Plus they were made in the USA. Something to be said about better quality on products like this when made in the us because they have to actually worry about what would happen if their product fails from a liability standpoint.

I noticed Harbor Frt. has both steel and composite for $39.00 The Steel ramps had more favorable reviews...........

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #8
Rhino is claiming they are good up to 12000# GVW. So in theory they are good for full size trucks and suv's much less our little FiST. Don't forget the Chocks!
Oh, the chocks are a given. I don't get under any vehicle that isn't chocked unless of course up on hydraulic lift. That said, it's the "in theory" part I'm thinking about. If they do fail with me underneath, I guess my epitaph could be, "Well, in theory it was a good idea . . . ."

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I use the rhino ramps that look more like the ones Rodmoe uses on both my FiST and Mustang, only mine are black. The only problem is slipping on the rear wheels of the Mustang, so I don't use them in the rear of my Mustang anymore. Place your ramps up against the front wheels of your FiST, then align them, give em a little kick to seat them under the tire, and slowly drive up the ramps, using both the hand brake and gas pedal. I use the same technique to slowly back off these ramps, otherwise, the bounce could catch the bottom front of the FiST. This can be a one man job if your steering wheel is straight, and you properly align the ramps. Sometimes these ramps leave a skidmark on your floor, that is why I give them a little kick to seat them before I drive up on them.

Oh, the chocks are a given. I don't get under any vehicle that isn't chocked unless of course up on hydraulic lift. That said, it's the "in theory" part I'm thinking about. If they do fail with me underneath, I guess my epitaph could be, "Well, in theory it was a good idea . . . ."
Perry, a very gifted Brewmeister acquaintance of mine died tragically when his car came down on him doing maintenance. It can happen. Your cautions are warranted.........

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Hey WestcoaST. You should try putting grip tape from a skateboard on your ramps. The increase in traction is noticable.

I still use my 20 year old Rhino Ramps, and they appear to still be in great shape. Are the current ones still made in the USA?

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #14
Perry, a very gifted Brewmeister acquaintance of mine died tragically when his car came down on him doing maintenance. It can happen. Your cautions are warranted.........
Ugh. Sorry to hear that. Exactly the sort of story I wish to avoid, obviously.

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #15
I still use my 20 year old Rhino Ramps, and they appear to still be in great shape. Are the current ones still made in the USA?
Amazon's info says "Source: USA". The rhinogear.com website is of no use at the moment--allegedly being updated.

I'm also thinking of Race Ramps--about triple the price, but for some reason (simply because they're so much more expensive?) I have a better impression of them. And they ARE made in the USA.

That all said, both AutoZone and O'Reilly locally carry Rhino Ramps.

Missed a great deal on rhino ramps, hope the stop being on sale.

Advanced auto parts is a great store but stupid overpriced on 90% of everything , that is unless you order online and pick up in the store. Pretty much the only way I'll shop there. There is always huge discounts 50% off 20$ off 50 (40%) etc.

Last week I added them to my cart for 54$ for the 16000 gvw. Used 20$ off 50$. Came to 34$ to go pick up in store. I couldn't get to the store until this week so I held off on ordering. Now they are on sale for 10$ off, but the coupon won't work with sale items. Bummer.

Guess I'll wait it out to see if they go off Sale.