Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tie rod snapped

Has this happened to anyone else? My drivers side tie rod snapped while I was driving on the freeway and I lost control of the car. The car swerved to the right and then to the left into the median. This kind of mechanical failure was totally unexpected and dangerous.

Attachments

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I'm sorry that happened to you but it really does look like some prior damage.

My brother had a CV axle snap in half on his car in a parking lot odd shit does happen.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
How's the rest of the car and You & passengers?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

From the angles you shot it at, it appears to me that the rod is bent and broke on the threads. I would expect it to break at the threads. That's common with enough force. But the bend is not. Any idea how it got bent? That bend indicates the wheel likely took a hit to the back of the wheel (3 o'clock) placing the rod in compression/tension. A hit to the front of the wheel (9 o'clock) would snap it or bend/crumble the front arm of the lower control arm. Maybe this happened to a previous owner?

Glad, I assume by lack of mention, that no one was hurt.

OP
lowda9
Thread Starter #7
No passengers and no one got hurt. Needs a new bumper, grill, broken headlight tabs, and dented intercooler. I haven't done anything to it bodywork wise yet, but it's mobile now with new Moog inner tie rod and Moog tie rod end. I did hit the other side not too long ago and bent the tie rod there. That passengers side rod was replaced. My coworker said it could be stress from that hit.

Attachments

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Someone may have backed into it sitting out on the street. They *NEVER* assume responsibility here, let alone stop. All of my Brother's trucks have been hit and my prior car got hit twice; one of the times literally with a two week old fender. Not unusual to see cars with driver-side dents. Happens so much I'll park around the corner just to avoid parking across from a driveway where it can happen.

Anyway, this car on stock geometery is *really* sensitive to poor alignment... you should've noticed different left vs right turning, bump-steer and/or a rough ride. If some 'chanic aligned it after the fact, they should've flagged that straight-away.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Randomly happened to my moms 97 f150 in the driveway once. Just all of a sudden boop, both front wheels arent connected.

That said the bend may have happened as it was failing and splitting.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
The break looks rusty: how long between the accident and the photo was taken?

OP
lowda9
Thread Starter #12
The photos were taken 3 days after the accident. It happened Sunday and it didn't get on the hoist until Wednesday. I took the bumper off and the damage is worst than I thought. The rebar is damaged and the rad support is pushed in a little. I didn't want to make a claim, but I think I might. This car starting to give me headaches now; I just went to top off my coolant and the reservoir cap broke šŸ˜¤

Attachments

Last edited:

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Rad support is all plastic. It did what it was designed to do ( bust apart to deflect energy because pedestrian safety stuff) its easily replaced and re aligned. It more than likely saved the frame horns from getting bent up.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Oh that's great news. One less thing that the excessive road salting will chew-up this Winter.
Yeah, I wish that our actual honking heavy bumper (the steel thing UNDER the outer cover which is a rust magnet, front AND back) was made of some sort of honeycomb internal structure composite, to avoid the winter cancer, and maybe save a little weight. [wink] [:(]

Yeah, I wish that our actual honking heavy bumper (the steel thing UNDER the outer cover which is a rust magnet, front AND back) was made of some sort of honeycomb internal structure composite, to avoid the winter cancer, and maybe save a little weight. [wink] [:(]
Don't worry, after a few salty winters, it'll be swiss cheese and won't be as heavy as new :LOL:. Natural weight saving!

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Could always figure out a euro nose swap. They dont have that big dumb beam. Dunno what they use instead. Maybe the intercooler? Maybe more plastic... Not sure to be honest.