Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

To take it in for axle seals or not...

So, I just rolled 30k miles, and my warranty will be up in March. So, while doing my 30k oil change, I was careful to look at how much oil has built up around the axle seals on the transaxle. I have purposely not wiped up this oil, as I wanted to get a good look at how much has been seeping out.

It's not much. There is a light film of oil on the front edge of the rear motor mount on one side, and along the transaxle case on the other side. Not enough to cause a drip, or to blow back against the frame cross member behind the transaxle. I can wipe it up in a few seconds.

I'm wondering if that's enough to warrant replacing the seals. Have any of you guys gone to the dealer and had them tell you it's not leaking enough for them to bother replacing the seals? If it's going to get worse as the car ages, yes, I'd like to get them replaced under warranty while I can, just wondering.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'd try. I read that they changed the seals because early models were known to leak. You might want to make sure you have the updated ones.

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #4
Ford wouldn't touch my car cause it's not DRIPPING smh
One of my concerns is reading about guys who have taken theirs in and have had recurring leaks. I’d hate to take mine in because it’s weeping slightly only to have the replacement seal leak worse than the originals.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If it ain't broke, don't effing touch my sht. My opinion anyway. I had a rear main seal in my prior vehicle that seeped and it didn't much change from 80k on up until I sold it at ~327k.

me32

1000 Post Club
If it ain't broke, don't effing touch my sht. My opinion anyway. I had a rear main seal in my prior vehicle that seeped and it didn't much change from 80k on up until I sold it at ~327k.
I agree. If its not leaking let it go. Seems theres more leaking worse after than originally

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Take pics and take it in. If the new ones leak they will fix them. I had mine repaired 3 times. Apparently there is a trick to doing it. Also Ford's repairs I believe have a 24k mile 2 year warrenty. And if you would like to wait till they get worse the seals are coverd until 60k. I had the first repair at 59k.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #9
Good point, knockoff. Didn’t dawn on me that the seals would be covered under the power train warranty rather than the general 36k.