Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Track Photo Thread

Fusion Works

You bring up a case of one dude, who was running some super squishy springs and splashy tires in an autox situation and think that in anyway compares to this car on a track in an entirely different situation with a completely unknown setup. You still have no idea what you are talking about.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
You bring up a case of one dude, who was running some super squishy springs and splashy tires in an autox situation and think that in anyway compares to this car on a track in an entirely different situation with a completely unknown setup. You still have no idea what you are talking about.
It also has a U2ube video showing a Civic Type R rolling at high speed on race track. Four mistakes and counting...

Fusion Works

Again, none of which apply to anything having to do with my picture.

Have you ever been on a track before? There are hundreds of weekends that go by every year with Bspec Fiestas on track with HoHos and coil overs. They don't roll over with any regularity. Everything in the link you posted is owner/driver mistakes, nothing similar to what I did with my car.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Again, none of which apply to anything having to do with my picture.

Have you ever been on a track before? There are hundreds of weekends that go by every year with Bspec Fiestas on track with HoHos and coil overs. They don't roll over with any regularity. Everything in the link you posted is owner/driver mistakes, nothing similar to what I did with my car.
Be sure to post the photos when you get done wrecking it. Everybody loves a train wreck... 😆

EDIT 22y07m31d09h52m07s:
Key words: Offset & Flare -- keeping in mind the additional stresses created by the leverage may require other changes to be safe on the streets. But it's also more turning mass which means it's not going to be as quick.
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/tv-show-top-gear.26318/post-455085
^ I posted about these there...
1659275695172.png
1659275644871.png

Last edited:

Fusion Works

There is nothing on a WRC Fiesta related to a stock fiesta beyond the roof. No comparison at all. Contrary to popular opinion, the Fiesta is not a rollover machine. Its a driver mistake waiting to happen but there is nothing inherently wrong with the Stock or lightly modified Fiesta from a stability standpoint.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
There is nothing on a WRC Fiesta related to a stock fiesta beyond the roof. No comparison at all. Contrary to popular opinion, the Fiesta is not a rollover machine. Its a driver mistake waiting to happen but there is nothing inherently wrong with the Stock or lightly modified Fiesta from a stability standpoint.
Keeping it on point, it's not necessarily done correctly/safely but people do mount offset wheels and fender flare vehicles of any type. A lot of people fail to distinguish the base Fiesta and ST-Line (higher center of gravity) from the ST. Besides improperly altered vehicles, that's where some of the "popular opinion" that you mentioned, stems from. When you say "...the Fiesta is not a rollover machine...", make sure to include the "ST". 😉 (even though the base aren't exactly Suzuki Samurai either...)

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/tv-show-top-gear.26318/post-455223

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Actually that is a Rallycross Fiesta, which yes, is even further from our rides than the actual WRC Fiestas are, since the WRC cars, even the Rally 1 versions (when they still used them and not the current Puma platform) must be by the rules, and ARE based on the base Fiesta factory platform.

The rules of Rallycross allow them to use (and they DO use) a north-south engine layout in the engine bay, whereas the WRC cars MUST use our east-west layout.

The WRC cars (in ALL classes) must have a steel roof, HOOD (believe it or not!), and maybe the rear hatch, all other body panels can be crunchy carbon fiber/kevlar composites.

But YES, regardless of WRC Rally 1 class, or Rallycross, their suspensions/drivetrains/suspension geometries are radically different than our cars.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I re
Actually that is a Rallycross Fiesta, which yes, is even further from our rides than the actual WRC Fiestas are, since the WRC cars, even the Rally 1 versions (when they still used them and not the current Puma platform) must be by the rules, and ARE based on the base Fiesta factory platform.

The rules of Rallycross allow them to use (and they DO use) a north-south engine layout in the engine bay, whereas the WRC cars MUST use our east-west layout.

The WRC cars (in ALL classes) must have a steel roof, HOOD (believe it or not!), and maybe the rear hatch, all other body panels can be crunchy carbon fiber/kevlar composites.

But YES, regardless of WRC Rally 1 class, or Rallycross, their suspensions/drivetrains/suspension geometries are radically different than our cars.
I really was hoping they'd cover more about the (absolutely awesome) suspension changes in that video.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I re

I really was hoping they'd cover more about the (absolutely awesome) suspension changes in that video.
Aren't the Rallycross cars just silhouette cars (tube frame race cars with attachable body work that kinda looks like the street version)? If so, I'd image they have pretty standard long-travel race car stuff. Those things are like mini-stadium trucks so I doubt that exotic delicate stuff like inboard springs and shocks or anti-roll-blades would survive or make sense.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Aren't the Rallycross cars just silhouette cars (tube frame race cars with attachable body work that kinda looks like the street version)? If so, I'd image they have pretty standard long-travel race car stuff. Those things are like mini-stadium trucks so I doubt that exotic delicate stuff like inboard springs and shocks or anti-roll-blades would survive or make sense.
Either it has an amazing range of adaptability or they're swapping it out per occasion...
View: https://youtu.be/Yaep0qiU8xc?t=1196

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Either it has an amazing range of adaptability or they're swapping it out per occasion...
I'm sure they are swapping out every spring and damper and maybe even anti-roll bars per event. Rally guys do that between different types of stages. I'll bet that Fiesta wasn't even setup for tarmac given the sway and wheel travel; it was kinda all over the place.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't know if they still offer it as a class internationally, but there was 'Lites' starter/development class back when there was still Global Rallycross in the states.

That was a 'silhouette' car using full tube frame chassis, a Fiesta shaped composite body cover, and that built, ITB injected, but NA, Mountune 2.5 Duratec mounted in a mid-engine position, putting out a little over 320 ponies (as opposed to the top class 2 liter turbo cars, which put out ~650 to the wheels!) into their sequential (I think they were X-Tracs??) gearboxes/AWD drivetrains.

The top class 'Supercars' did use the basic unibody structure of a given manufacturer (Ford, Scoobie, Audi/Vdub, Citroen, etc.), with front, but INLINE engine mounting, but that was THE only even remotely 'stock' part used (except for possibly the engine block).

Yes, radically modified, well beyond what is allowed in the WRC rules. [driving]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm sure they are swapping out every spring and damper and maybe even anti-roll bars per event. Rally guys do that between different types of stages. I'll bet that Fiesta wasn't even setup for tarmac given the sway and wheel travel; it was kinda all over the place.
For Rallycross (in any sanctioning body's events/classes), there has to be some compromise between a gravel rally level suspension travel, and lowered, stiffly sprung/damped pure tarmac road course handling/turn-in 'edge', depending on, and given the nature of the particular course they are running on, and it's ratio of (just how) rough dirt/gravel sections to smooth tarmac/track sections are setup.

The same goes for the tires, which they will tire iron cut/sipe to a given course's 'looseness' of dirt/gravel. but they will NEVER use full-on, high profile, pure rally gravel tires.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I'll bet that Fiesta wasn't even setup for tarmac given the sway and wheel travel; it was kinda all over the place.
Didn't see that at all. EXTEMELY well composed. Keep in mind it was rounding corners at 90 and 129MPH and that test track isn't exactly butter smooth. I've seen lots of videos of a range of other cars round that at a much slower pace and by comparison that car was pretty damned tight.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Didn't see that at all. EXTEMELY well composed. Keep in mind it was rounding corners at 90 and 129MPH and that test track isn't exactly butter smooth. I've seen lots of videos of a range of other cars round that at a much slower pace and by comparison that car was pretty damned tight.
Good grief, no, he was taking tarmac rally lines in a rally car, locking the rears to induce rotation with lots of wheel drift everywhere. That was a great driver making a car do things it didn't want to do with massive inputs a.k.a. a rally driver in a rally car. A sports racer or open-wheel car with a similar power:weight ratio and gearing would be much faster but with much less outward drama.

For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Top_Gear_test_track_Power_Lap_times. An Atom, which is a track rather than a rally car, will do the same lap 3.5 seconds faster with the "little" engine and 4.4 seconds faster with the crazy 2x motorcycle V8 and will do so with less tire smoke (and $400k less for the little version).