Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo install problems.

Hey guys I just installed a used x47 turbo and I have 0 boost. The turbo makes like a whirring sound. It sounds like its spinning up without any back pressure. I reset the tune and I’ve checked all the boost lines everything seems fine. Any ideas on what it could be?

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Hey guys I just installed a used x47 turbo and I have 0 boost. The turbo makes like a whirring sound. It sounds like its spinning up without any back pressure. I reset the tune and I’ve checked all the boost lines everything seems fine. Any ideas on what it could be?
Post a video on YT to share the sound. If it's a loud whirring/buzzing, that could be blown turbo.

OP
F
Thread Starter #6
Hard to tell, I don't have enough turbo experience to know right off the bat. Maybe that turbo just sounds that way?

Here a video I took of mine when it was absolutely destroyed -
View: https://youtu.be/m-Z2lsjmDLc
That does sound kinda similar. It’s not building any boost so something isn’t right.

Based on your boost gauge, it looks like your engine is pulling a vacuum though your turbocharger's compressor (located in your air intake system).
The compressor of your turbocharger is powered by your turbocharger's turbine (located in your engine exhaust system).
Pull off your air inlet from your turbo and your down pipe. And inspect both compressor and turbine wheels. Also confirm that your compressor wheel turns as you manually turn the turbine wheel.

PS: Confirm you are getting oil though your turbo oil lines and water though your turbo water lines (if equipped).

OP
F
Thread Starter #10
Based on your boost gauge, it looks like your engine is pulling a vacuum though your turbocharger's compressor (located in your air intake system).
The compressor of your turbocharger is powered by your turbocharger's turbine (located in your engine exhaust system).
Pull off your air inlet from your turbo and your down pipe. And inspect both compressor and turbine wheels. Also confirm that your compressor wheel turns as you manually turn the turbine wheel.

PS: Confirm you are getting oil though your turbo oil lines and water though your turbo water lines (if equipped).
Ok I’m working on that now. How can I can I verify it’s getting oil? Can you look at the picture I posted and verify I have the boost lines installed correctly.

Ok I’m working on that now. How can I can I verify it’s getting oil? Can you look at the picture I posted and verify I have the boost lines installed correctly.
The way I confirm oil flow is to loosen each fitting (after wrapping them with a rag or towel) slowly and then just a turn or two. It shouldn't take much and you should get a squirt of fluid and maybe a little air.
I looked at the picture, but I couldn't tell what went where.

OP
F
Thread Starter #13
The way I confirm oil flow is to loosen each fitting (after wrapping them with a rag or towel) slowly and then just a turn or two. It shouldn't take much and you should get a squirt of fluid and maybe a little air.
From the little solenoid. In the side with the electrical plug I have going to the turbo hot side j pipe. The opposite end of the solenoid I have going to the intake. The side of the solinoid I have going to the wastegate.

OP
F
Thread Starter #14
It’s definitely getting coolant. I unplugged the oil line going into the turbo. Oil didn’t shoot out or anything but I can see oil in the turbo.

OP
F
Thread Starter #18
Can a turbo be bad with both propellers spinning freely? How can you tell if there is a problem inside of it. There is no smoke coming from the car

Can a turbo be bad with both propellers spinning freely? How can you tell if there is a problem inside of it. There is no smoke coming from the car
I read that you checked that the compressor and the turbine wheels spinning freely, but did you check that they are moving together. AKA, you can spin one and it spins the other or are they spinning independently. Also did you prime the turbo with oil by cycling but not starting the engine.