Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280 Turbo Kit Dyno, Virtual Dyno, and Datalog Thread

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Finally got my car strapped to the dyno for a tune. 93oct, stock fueling, ~80F ambient, 420ft elevation. Peaking around 24-25psi and holding ~23psi to redline.

Very happy with the results, the car feels amazing - having some real power up top turns the car into a whole new animal!

View attachment 40833
who is doing your tuning thats a really steep TQ curve for an S280 . I wonder if your TQ tables are gonna be off. I know when I had my mine tuned like that in beginning it started popping exceeding TQ codes. My TQ tables were off and its why I wound up with my current tuner.

who is doing your tuning thats a really steep TQ curve for an S280 . I wonder if your TQ tables are gonna be off. I know when I had my mine tuned like that in beginning it started popping exceeding TQ codes. My TQ tables were off and its why I wound up with my current tuner.
Is it steep? I’ve seen plenty of charts showing peak torque around the same RPM...he had it up to 315tq initially but it started to lean out so he let off and backed things down. I beat the hell out of it on the drive home and had no issues or codes, and the power comes on really smooth - was barely breaking traction in 2nd with Indy 500 tires.

My tuner is Freektune who has done most of the ecoboost cars in my area including an S280 Fiesta and a whoosh hybrid Fiesta so I trust he isn’t pushing the car too hard, like I said it’s only hitting ~25psi and tapering down. I’ll definitely keep an eye on things though, I don’t know much about tuning so I guess I’m not sure what my torque tables being off would mean lol. All I know is the car makes good power, feels great, and wasn’t pulling timing during repeated WOT pulls.

My charts x-axis also goes from like 1.5k to 7.5k, with some dead space on each side, so things are going to look a bit more smushed (and in turn steeper) than everyone else’s v-dynos that start at 2.5k and stop around 7k. I think the formatting difference is just playing tricks on you, but again I’ll keep an eye out for issues.

I know my tuner will fix anything that pops up, like I said he does most if not all the ecoboost cars in the area and has been tuning Mazda Speed3s for a long time before that so I trust he knows what he’s doing! And he wouldn’t want a poorly tuned car on the streets giving him a bad rap. I appreciate your input and concern though cause like I said I really don’t know much when it comes to tuning!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
My charts x-axis also goes from like 1.5k to 7.5k, with some dead space on each side, so things are going to look a bit more smushed (and in turn steeper) than everyone else’s v-dynos that start at 2.5k and stop around 7k. I think the formatting difference is just playing tricks on you, but again I’ll keep an eye out for issues.

I know my tuner will fix anything that pops up, like I said he does most if not all the ecoboost cars in the area and has been tuning Mazda Speed3s for a long time before that so I trust he knows what he’s doing! And he wouldn’t want a poorly tuned car on the streets giving him a bad rap. I appreciate your input and concern though cause like I said I really don’t know much when it comes to tuning!
that is possible its the formatting that threw me off. otherwise it does not look too bad otherwise. Its definitely in the ballpark of a s280 tune though.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
How many revisions does it typically take to complete the tuning of this turbo?

Fusion Works

I am not putting all of it on my tuner. We were having some issues with my dyno not loading the car properly thus messing up the logs. Also had some traction issues early on because of worn out tires. After I sorted out the dyno test and then a few street runs after that. So far I'm pretty happy with it. I'm gonna put it back on the dyno in a couple of weeks and see what it looks like.

For some reason my car wouldn't hit 27psi on the dyno and does just fine on the street. Its quite weird.

Fair question. 1st, I can't be certain between clutch slippage or tire spin. The 1st time it happened it was 32F with Federal SS595's, it felt like tire spin to me. Most times, it's completely unnoticeable. I inquired with Jason as I know he had clutch slippage once he started to push the 280. His feedback was clutch likely.

I think there's more at play than a simple torque threshold. Rate of change, and how the peak is held are probably in play.

I probably should have labeled clutch or tire spin. I am going to see if I can get some 4th gear pulls to see if that helps understanding.
Haven't posted since final 93oct tune in December. Here's some E40 results:

Tuning progress: Dizzy Rev2B (Rev2A base + 1 rev)
Tamb=51F & 64F, 14.8 psia
36 & 35 lb/min @ 31 psig @ 56% TS14 WGDC

I'm getting some clutch slippage near peak torque since going to E40, more times than not. LSD additional tax on stock clutch (car only 5k miles). Most times not noticeable until loading into Vdyno.

I grabbed some logs early in am, checked AFR, tweaked the fuel map, then grabbed a few more, so 2 different Tamb & Pamb, noticeable. AFR dialed in after 3 iterations (1st not shown, 12.7 up top).
View attachment 39993

View attachment 39994
After several 4th Gear pulls that do not show the behavior notred above between 3-4k RPM, I'm certain this is tire spin. On warm days when the tires are operating in a better temp range, 3rd gear pulls don't show this either. When it happens on cold/cool days, it feels like tire spin. The car is chirping 4th gear when logging in 3rd and quick-shifting to 4th... I've moved to the next tune revision, making ~360 whp with warm (83F) ambient. At these temps, the tires stick and the behavior is also absent in 3rd gear.

Solid #'s on a customer car at 82F warm day... Jason is amongst the best!
E40 Tuning progress: Dizzy Rev2C (Rev2A base + 2 revs)
Tamb=82F, 14.8 psia
35-36 lb/min @ 33 psig @ 64-65% TS14 WGDC

1623188670956.png

Woods247

2000 Post Club
After several 4th Gear pulls that do not show the behavior notred above between 3-4k RPM, I'm certain this is tire spin. On warm days when the tires are operating in a better temp range, 3rd gear pulls don't show this either. When it happens on cold/cool days, it feels like tire spin. The car is chirping 4th gear when logging in 3rd and quick-shifting to 4th... I've moved to the next tune revision, making ~360 whp with warm (83F) ambient. At these temps, the tires stick and the behavior is also absent in 3rd gear.
Try dropping the air pressure in your front tires. 31-32psi might help it hook better.

Try dropping the air pressure in your front tires. 31-32psi might help it hook better.
You think I'd have done that already given my experience... but I'm getting old and no, I haven't. I do typically run them a little high for life. Thanks for the reminder. When it gets cold again, I'll try that and expect it to help, potentially quite a bit.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That is impressive to say the least! [twothumb]
Bigger injectors/HPFP upgrade and what, E50??

Also, since you are on here and hopefully responding to posts;

Yes, a little bit [offtopic] but do you have any problems tuning either factory snails, or S280s (or whatever) when the customer has Shell V-Power 93 in the tank?

HAVE you actually tuned FiSTs when the customer has told you that's the fuel that they use, and if so, has it been a detriment to the tuning process?

Just curious.
Thanks in advance.

That is impressive to say the least! [twothumb]
Bigger injectors/HPFP upgrade and what, E50??

Also, since you are on here and hopefully responding to posts;

Yes, a little bit [offtopic] but do you have any problems tuning either factory snails, or S280s (or whatever) when the customer has Shell V-Power 93 in the tank?

HAVE you actually tuned FiSTs when the customer has told you that's the fuel that they use, and if so, has it been a detriment to the tuning process?

Just curious.
Thanks in advance.
To be honest, I had to look up v-power to see what it was. I have no experience with it, at this time. Sorry bud.