Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280

Eh, I think 200 tw tires is overkill for third gear pulls, logs start at 3k RPMs. Firehawk Indy 500s are 340 tw and I can do 3rd all day with the completed e30 tune, just make sure the tires are warm by driving around for a bit.
I’m running Indy 500s and I get pretty serious wheel spin on most 3rd gear pulls. I’m not smoking the tires but it’s enough to throw off the logs at least.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
the discussion is interesting
a different angle is there are far more hybrid and GTX failures I've handled over the years compared to the S280
there is not a single turbo of any kind that has zero failures, the S280 after hundreds and hundreds sold + in use has the best record for reliability and performance period

the WGA is simple
stock fuel system = supplied WGA
anything fuel related above stock, XDI-meth-aux upgrade the WGA

(y)

Woods247

2000 Post Club
the discussion is interesting
a different angle is there are far more hybrid and GTX failures I've handled over the years compared to the S280
there is not a single turbo of any kind that has zero failures, the S280 after hundreds and hundreds sold / in use has the best record for reliability and performance period

the WGA is simple
stock fuel system = supplied WGA
anthing above stock, XDI-meth-aux upgrwde the WGA

(y)
Thank you for jumping in.

I'd also throw in that at high elevation the wastegate upgrade is worth it, we can run more boost without leaning out since the oxygen density is lower. I'm running 28psi on stock fuel system at 5000+ ft elevation on E30 and have a solid 12.5afr. While tuning on 91 octane I had a map come back at 31psi and just then the AFR started leaning out into the high 12s

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I’ll give this a shot! I always thought it was weird that the factory called for crazy high tire pressure on such a small, light car. You run 27 front and rear?
Temporarily for logs it’s fine. I’d run at least 32psi for daily. The TPMS will likely report low pressure at 27. Gran your logs and air them up.

I'd also throw in that at high elevation the wastegate upgrade is worth it, we can run more boost without leaning out since the oxygen density is lower. I'm running 28psi on stock fuel system at 5000+ ft elevation on E30 and have a solid 12.5afr. While tuning on 91 octane I had a map come back at 31psi and just then the AFR started leaning out into the high 12s

I live at 7k elevation. What do you or other owners do when you travel to other lower elevations? Seperate tune?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

I live at 7k elevation. What do you or other owners do when you travel to other lower elevations? Seperate tune?

I haven't traveled anywhere lower yet, but I will be asking my tuner for a low elevation rev or maybe just run the base map if I do travel

I haven't traveled anywhere lower yet, but I will be asking my tuner for a low elevation rev or maybe just run the base map if I do travel

Is it possible to just run a more conservative map at all elevations? How much power would you lose at higher elevations if you did?

Is it possible to just run a more conservative map at all elevations? How much power would you lose at higher elevations if you did?

I think a base map would be acceptable because they tend to over-do fuel and keep boost at absolute minimum. I wouldn't just run a lower boost map since the fuel is probably optimized for the lower boost and while it might be safe it's probably not optimal. How much power you lose will depend on fuel and boost and how rich it goes

I think a base map would be acceptable because they tend to over-do fuel and keep boost at absolute minimum. I wouldn't just run a lower boost map since the fuel is probably optimized for the lower boost and while it might be safe it's probably not optimal. How much power you lose will depend on fuel and boost and how rich it goes

Appreciate the info. [emoji106]

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
How much boost were you running on the one that failed?
It wasn't a parameter being monitored on the AP at the time of failure. However during tuning we were seeing over a solid 25psi from 4000-6700rpm, and from 3200 to 3900 rpm a solid 24psi.

I am sure the turbo "can handle it" but I am also sure that it isn't designed to do that for 20 minutes at a time.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think you could get away with the supplied actuator on thr stock fuel system just fine. You won't push more then 26psi sustained up top really anyhow. Anyrhing over that boost level it will struggle to hold boost up top.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
I used the standard one on the orange car, and had no issue hitting 26psi. I just tapered off to 22psi at redline.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I'm leaning towards B, it is designed to not overspin the turbo and at the same time limits the output of holding higher boost until redline. To each their own though, I don't expect everyone to do what Ron / Adam says nor do I expect people to do the opposite.

Is the 14psi the same as the Tune+ spec one?
ya the Tune+ spec is just a 14psi actuator. I just think that Adam did enough testing with it that TS slapped the sticker on the boxes for them.

AzNightmare

lol, I upgraded to the Tune+ spec WG anyway, even though I'm sticking with pump fuel.
Some people swear by the upgrade.

AzNightmare

Speaking of the actuator, what's the best way to preload it?

With limited research, it seems like the suggested method is all over the place, from 3mm or 4mm, from 2 full (360°) turns, to 4 full turns, and anything in between.
What did you guys do? I really prefer to do it right once with the turbo outside of the car, than have to tinker with it once the turbo is in the car.

The S280 also doesn't use a nut like the stock/hybrid turbo, so I'm not sure if turning the nut 3 full turns is applicable here.
Not trying to sound like a broken record, but can anyone give me a hand on how many turns to properly preload the Tune+ spec WGA?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Someone should really do a good Technical DIY for this setup! I think Jason @ Dizzy tuning did one* but it may have been for stock snail.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk