Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280

I plotted TIP since that is the target in the control logic in my case. I'm thinking the wastegate solenoid uses whatever the control logic is doing, but I'm not certain on that. I also wanted to show the target is well above actual, so it should not be affecting spool.
You know....I think I made a dumb post above since Im a FiST newb on the very specifics of the car. I believe the WG simply uses the boost pressure right at the turbo outlet on the S280. So the pressure there will be the highest in the system. If its say 20 psi at the turbo outlet it will be something less than that at the TIP and then even less than that at the MAP.

Yeah, thanks. Last night, I looked over the TS literature that came with the WG. It calls for 2mm. I checked the TT WG with a caliper, 3 turns that I used on the TS is 3mm, that makes sense as it's a M6X1.0. So, I'm at 3mm vs. recommended 2mm.

So, should expect WG to open a bit more than 14psi if the extra preload is considered. I'm thinking the corner pt on the plot is where the WG begins to open, but we don't know that for sure. 2-3 psi over 14psi seems like a lot for 1mm, but maybe the WG starts opening a bit sooner. I wish I had a way to check, just out of curiosity. Guess I'm just bored waiting on a tune update. :)

Attachments

If you really want to make your life miserable in the pursuit of data and have the time to do so, you can just take a compressed air supply, connect it to the WGA nipple and slowly regulate the pressure up until you start to see the wastegate arm move....That would be the so-called cracking pressure.

This is obviously very easy to do before the wastegate is put on the car, a little bit harder afterwards, but shouldn't be too bad.

If you really want to make your life miserable in the pursuit of data and have the time to do so, you can just take a compressed air supply, connect it to the WGA nipple and slowly regulate the pressure up until you start to see the wastegate arm move....That would be the so-called cracking pressure.

This is obviously very easy to do before the wastegate is put on the car, a little bit harder afterwards, but shouldn't be too bad.
Yeah, thought of that last night. Doubt I'll do it now that it's on the car... it is what it is.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
In the end, it doesn't really matter truthfully. This kind of stuff is just for people who can't help themselves and want to know for knowings sake, LOL.
Understanding your car is the key to ensuring its longevity - I'm building an offroad van and the only thing that gives me comfort going hundreds of kilometres in to the bush without cell service is that I built the damn thing and should very well be able to troubleshoot any issues that occur.

If you have a baseline for a healthy car, keep that in mind when doing mods to evaluate each change.

Took a 5 hour road trip with mine and the line from the boost solenoid to the WGA snapped in half. Realized it when I saw max boost pressure at 29.77 and some weird AFR’s. Hopefully nothing was hurt. Fixed today though. I’m currently seeing around ~25psi on my 93 tune. I’m on revision 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Took a 5 hour road trip with mine and the line from the boost solenoid to the WGA snapped in half. Realized it when I saw max boost pressure at 29.77 and some weird AFR’s. Hopefully nothing was hurt. Fixed today though. I’m currently seeing around ~25psi on my 93 tune. I’m on revision 2.

Interesting I am on my first version fresh off the dyno 25 lbs on 91. Car is definitely fast. I am going to do data logs this week.

Took a 5 hour road trip with mine and the line from the boost solenoid to the WGA snapped in half. Realized it when I saw max boost pressure at 29.77 and some weird AFR’s. Hopefully nothing was hurt.

I'm sure you are fine, you would have known nearly immediately if something severe had happened due to over boost.

Here's an example where I purposely over boosted a 2.2 L Dodge with the exact scenario you just described. There was no boostcontrol whatsoever (as there was no pressure sorce to the wastegate actuator nipple), and the wastegate was held firmly shut. See how the run ends abruptly? LOL I think your engine is just fine✔. When really bad things happen from overboost, you generally know immediately.
3C470167-8EF5-4307-BDDA-6D53376860EC.jpeg

I'm sure you are fine, you would have known nearly immediately if something severe had happened due to over boost.

Here's an example where I purposely over boosted a 2.2 L Dodge with the exact scenario you just described. There was no boostcontrol whatsoever (as there was no pressure sorce to the wastegate actuator nipple), and the wastegate was held firmly shut. See how the run ends abruptly? LOL I think your engine is just fine[emoji818]. When really bad things happen from overboost, you generally know immediately.
View attachment 36198
It made the 5 hour drive home just fine. I’m glad it isn’t hurt. Compression numbers were just over 180 for all 4. I think I’ve had a slight tear in that line for quite some time now without realizing. I’ll do some datalogs tomorrow and hopefully get some more boosts [emoji1665].

Tomorrow I start data logging too bad I cannot do vdyno on my mac otherwise I would do some vdyno charts for you guys.
It wouldn't be the same as a Vdyno, but you could take your data logs, and for a given gear, time how long it takes to go from X RPM to Y RPM and see if that is similar to others with a similar setup. This of course isn't going to give you any sort of power curve, but might represent the average power applied in some way.

Se7eN

Had to uninstall a S280 last week as the dude is selling his car and parting out. Not as fun to uninstall as it is to install. The provided studs don't like to be separated from the nuts so FYI on that. Also had one of the cars have the top nut on the manifold back out even thought it was properly tightened so maybe get better hardware than what it comes with just in case.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Video of it in action. I’ll post links up in here for all of you on the fence. I’ll try to post something up once a week.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b7yNwvHrq8

I'd love to see a close up of the dash during a pull. The few I've seen on YouTube for the s280 weren't very impressive, but they may not have been fully tuned.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk