Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I have an s280 with the standard wastegate, but I want to install uprated injectors (no hpfp). Do you guys think I need to upgrade the wastegate? I also have the stock downpipe so do you guys think I should upgrade the downpipe?
I'd ask whoever you're tuning with about the wastegate. In broad generalities, the IWG actuator can handle boost at 2x the spring pressure but unless you're going to upgrade your MAP/TMAP sensors your tuner probably won't go over 28 psi even if you slap a 16 lb gate on there. Unless you talk with the tuner directly, this is purely speculation. Some tuners do it differently than others.

haste

1000 Post Club
looks good you should detail what you did for others!
second what @dhminer said. i have a 4point SWAVE and getting an S280 so any tips on what you did (it looks GREAT) would be really appreciated.
Not really much. I used a carbide burr bit(from the same set I used to grind the block) and enlarged the rear hole towards the passenger side so I could slide the pipe towards the driver side more to create the clearance. The fender washers were used due to the larger hole. It was a very minimal modification but was enough to create the clearance.

carbide_burr_bit.jpg

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Not really much. I used a carbide burr bit(from the same set I used to grind the block) and enlarged the rear hole towards the passenger side so I could slide the pipe towards the driver side more to create the clearance. The fender washers were used due to the larger hole. It was a very minimal modification but was enough to create the clearance.

View attachment 53028
Do you have a link to the set you bought?

I have an s280 with the standard wastegate, but I want to install uprated injectors (no hpfp). Do you guys think I need to upgrade the wastegate? I also have the stock downpipe so do you guys think I should upgrade the downpipe?
i plan on going your exact same route but you left out some key details to answer your question better.

are you goin ethanol blend? from everything i've read, there's really *nothing* you can do to increase power past 290ish WHP if you're capped at 93OCT fuel. at that octane level the engine is up against the knock sensor and increasing more fuel won't provide more power. race gas or e30+ ethanol blend is the only thing that will allow for more HP with the bosch uprated injectors. please note i'm not writing this from personal experience, just from what i've read here. but that seems to be an agreed consensus among everyone who doesn't want to risk grenade'ing their engines.

as for what you'll need to help with that, a lot of tuners here think the stock wastegate isn't strong enough as-is (nevermind if you go uprated injectors) and recommend getting the turbosmart 14psi IWG designed for the turbotechnics s280/s290 right from install. even if you decide to keep your injectors OEM. again, not from personal experience. just general consensus of reading everything i could here.

the downpipe is a different story. there seems to be three different opinions there:
1) stock exhaust manifold/stock downpipe: perfectly fine but you might leave a little horsepower on the shelf at the very high RPM range
2) stock exhaust manifold/stock downpipe: doesn't really change anything, maybe adds a few hundred RPM lag before the s280 hits full boost but nothing noticeable for the average daily driver
3) high flow catted/decat downpipe and high flow manifold (ported OEM or airtec tubular): DO IT. HELP THAT BABY TURBO BREAAATH! POWAAAAA!!!!! seriously though, some people here say it makes a noticeable difference but i haven't found anyone posting before/after dyno numbers so i'm not sure what the delta would be. p.s. i'm going this route for whatever that's worth

edit: kinda blew past it on the original post but if you go high flow downpipe, you're probably going to need a ported/extruded OEM manifold (whoosh provides this in the USA, vudu/AET does this for Europe) or a tubular manifold (airtec makes this but you can find it on whoosh and other fiesta tuner sites here); the stock OEM manifold will be a choke point if you have a high-flow DP with your s280

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
i plan on going your exact same route but you left out some key details to answer your question better.

are you goin ethanol blend? from everything i've read, there's really *nothing* you can do to increase power past 290ish WHP if you're capped at 93OCT fuel. at that octane level the engine is up against the knock sensor and increasing more fuel won't provide more power. race gas or e30+ ethanol blend is the only thing that will allow for more HP with the bosch uprated injectors. please note i'm not writing this from personal experience, just from what i've read here. but that seems to be an agreed consensus among everyone who doesn't want to risk grenade'ing their engines.

as for what you'll need to help with that, a lot of tuners here think the stock wastegate isn't strong enough as-is (nevermind if you go uprated injectors) and recommend getting the turbosmart 14psi IWG designed for the turbotechnics s280/s290 right from install. even if you decide to keep your injectors OEM. again, not from personal experience. just general consensus of reading everything i could here.

the downpipe is a different story. there seems to be three different opinions there:
1) stock exhaust manifold/stock downpipe: perfectly fine but you might leave a little horsepower on the shelf at the very high RPM range
2) stock exhaust manifold/stock downpipe: doesn't really change anything, maybe adds a few hundred RPM lag before the s280 hits full boost but nothing noticeable for the average daily driver
3) high flow catted/decat downpipe and high flow manifold (ported OEM or airtec tubular): DO IT. HELP THAT BABY TURBO BREAAATH! POWAAAAA!!!!! seriously though, some people here say it makes a noticeable difference but i haven't found anyone posting before/after dyno numbers so i'm not sure what the delta would be. p.s. i'm going this route for whatever that's worth

edit: kinda blew past it on the original post but if you go high flow downpipe, you're probably going to need a ported/extruded OEM manifold (whoosh provides this in the USA, vudu/AET does this for Europe) or a tubular manifold (airtec makes this but you can find it on whoosh and other fiesta tuner sites here); the stock OEM manifold will be a choke point if you have a high-flow DP with your s280
To answer his question as a S280 owner I pulled 284whpon 91 octane with an S280 and stock fueling . He will pick up another 10 or so by running 93. I experienced right around 300whp on e30 based off 91 oct per my tuners statement and I am guessing he has the same tuner just adding injectors can yield another 30-40 based on dyno proven results . My tuner also recommends using the Turbosmart 14lb wastegate as well. I Tune with Adam at Tuneplus and the results have Been fantastic and I daily drive my setup.
As far as the downpipe goes I am running a Mountune Sportcat and I have thought about going back to using a modded stock one for the sake of stealthiness. I know people who ran high aftermarket downpipes and went back to stock with no noticeable difference.

Last edited:

I'll be on 91 and E30. With just the s280 on E30, I was pushing 267 whp on a dynojet. Thanks for the advice.

Anyone ever v-dyno their base tunes? I got 220 for my base e30 tune with the upgrade injectors at 15 PSI; the thing feel faster than my stock turbo e30 tune though. You think I can gain 80+ HPs with the extra 12 PSI that might be add to my revision? Waiting patiently for my revision.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Anyone ever v-dyno their base tunes? I got 220 for my base e30 tune with the upgrade injectors at 15 PSI; the thing feel faster than my stock turbo e30 tune though. You think I can gain 80+ HPs with the extra 12 PSI that might be add to my revision? Waiting patiently for my revision.
Yes, sounds about right. Have fun!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Oh ya with E30 definitely.

Definitely. There may be even more than that left in it depending on how aggressive your tuner is. I could see at least 320whp or so on the upgraded injectors.

Bull Run

U.S. Army Veteran
A slightly different setup as I'm currently on E30 with WMI instead of upgraded injectors/HPFP. My base run for E30M wouldn't be a good comparison to yours since it was based off of the finalized 91M tune running ~25 psi boost and ~300whp.

Below are the finalized tune graphs/numbers for three fuel types. Runs were on the same road during evenings for consistency. However, note that the process started going into the summer in the Phoenix metro area. It was around 70F when I started with the 91oct tune, and around 95F when I finished with the E30M tune, so I suspect 91M and E30M tunes would've shown higher numbers if the ambient temperature remained the same.

I went with Tune+ and Adam thought there was still around 5-10whp left to tap, but wasn't sure if it was worth the risk. I agreed since hard acceleration in 1st or 2nd gears were worthless as even on summer tires and certain 3rd gear pulls were starting to show signs of traction issues.

Best of luck! As @MO15Fiesta mentioned above, I don't see why you can't hit at least 320whp given upgraded injectors and cooler temperature.

1672152662651.jpeg

AzNightmare

Sounds like everybody is spinning in 1st and 2nd with over 300whp.
It makes me think you need to go widebody fenders if you want to efficiently put power in the lower gears...
205 or 215's just can't hook with that much power.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
It makes me think you need to go widebody fenders if you want to efficiently put power in the lower gears...
Depending what tires, we’re lighting them up in 3rd also lol

A slightly different setup as I'm currently on E30 with WMI instead of upgraded injectors/HPFP. My base run for E30M wouldn't be a good comparison to yours since it was based off of the finalized 91M tune running ~25 psi boost and ~300whp.

Below are the finalized tune graphs/numbers for three fuel types. Runs were on the same road during evenings for consistency. However, note that the process started going into the summer in the Phoenix metro area. It was around 70F when I started with the 91oct tune, and around 95F when I finished with the E30M tune, so I suspect 91M and E30M tunes would've shown higher numbers if the ambient temperature remained the same.

I went with Tune+ and Adam thought there was still around 5-10whp left to tap, but wasn't sure if it was worth the risk. I agreed since hard acceleration in 1st or 2nd gears were worthless as even on summer tires and certain 3rd gear pulls were starting to show signs of traction issues.

Best of luck! As @MO15Fiesta mentioned above, I don't see why you can't hit at least 320whp given upgraded injectors and cooler temperature.

View attachment 53139
Those are great numbers and a blast to drive I'm sure!

Not necessarily true, I have the Cobb TC dialed in on my car and it allows very little tire slip. Granted, turning it off results in an instant rev limiter bashing.

AzNightmare

Not necessarily true, I have the Cobb TC dialed in on my car and it allows very little tire slip. Granted, turning it off results in an instant rev limiter bashing.
What power are you making, and what tires? In what temps?

lol, sorry for all the questions, but there's a lot of variables in these things, so just want the full scenario for context.

What power are you making, and what tires? In what temps?

lol, sorry for all the questions, but there's a lot of variables in these things, so just want the full scenario for context.
340ish whp, stock size falken rt615k+ tires. I'm in Oklahoma so it varies from 110+* summer time to -5* in the winter, lol.