Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Update Sync3 to v2.2 for navigation and non-navigation units - AndroidAuto and AppleCarPlay (download links inside)

I guess there is a new update released? I have 2.3 non-nav already, waze, google music, etc. but yesterday when parked at my house with wifi when I went to leave it said a download was interrupted.
You were able to install 2.3 non without getting the mem_003 error?

DEss

Yeah, I got it all accomplished over wifi I guess since I never had any manual intervention with a USB drive. I think I'll try now to go check for updates manually in my garage...

Jan 31 2018 5937 - SSM 47049 - 2018 Various Vehicles - SYNC 3 - SYNC WiFi Update Message Displayed Every Key Cycle

Some 2018 Ford and Lincoln vehicles equipped with SYNC 3 and a 6, 8, or 10 inchscreen may show a pop up message every key cycle that states "SYNC can check for updates when connected to a WiFi network". To remove the inconvenience of the pop up the customer can either connect to a trusted WiFi network to complete theset up process or turn off WiFi in the WiFi settings located under the Settingsmenu. Adjusting the setting for the customer is not a warrantable defect.

jayrod1980

I’ve updated to build 18025... probably not the best person to ask though since I rapidly updated from 2.2, to 2.3, to the last build of 3.0, to build 18025. In order to do it, I had to pull the last .init auto install file and stick the apps tar.gz into a “SyncMyRide” folder and change the text to only open the apps file. It seems like the only changes were apps data from as far as I can tell. I downloaded Waze but it doesn’t work like described at the Auto show.

I’ve updated to build 18025... probably not the best person to ask though since I rapidly updated from 2.2, to 2.3, to the last build of 3.0, to build 18025. In order to do it, I had to pull the last .init auto install file and stick the apps tar.gz into a “SyncMyRide” folder and change the text to only open the apps file. It seems like the only changes were apps data from as far as I can tell. I downloaded Waze but it doesn’t work like described at the Auto show.
whats your autoinstall.lst look like? Ive been suggested 2 different kinds

jayrod1980

So I went to the german Mondeo forum and used the init they suggested... if you open in text editor it basically is the same format. Something like “open X tar.gz” where X is whatever tar.gz files are inside the build. 18025 only contains an apps.tar.gz file so there’s only a single instruction. The rest of the init file is the instruction to “delay” etc. As a template, open the init file for the first 3.0 build, and look at the files included. You will just have to amend the first lines of the file in the text editor to reflect the new build. I don’t have access to my computer at this moment, but I’ll post the init I made tomorrow. If you have the 18025 build o highly suggest you install the previous 3.0 build first since it seems the changes from that to the 18025 build are just the “apps” data.

besides the OS file did you include gracenotes, or voice or gen XML file or DONTINDX or check sum files? or just app file and thats it?

jayrod1980

On a windows computer, since the 18025 build is different from the last, I modified a prior init, created a “syncmyride” folder, stuck the apps.tar.gz in it and ended up I believe with the init file and the SyncMyRide folder with the tar.gz inside. It updated like anything else when plugged into the usb.

People are skittish to post links to the builds, but fords own site is hosting this file. If they didn’t want people to DL it, then they should not host the build publicly.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Not sure why USB won't detect, it's formatted as exFAT, empty with just the files copied over... It's a SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 128GB... Are there some USB's that just don't work? I plug it in with car running like the directions say and nothing happens.. I'm only even trying this way since I'm parked in my garage where I have WiFi, I connect to it and run a "scan for updates" and it sits and spins forever trying to do it over WiFi... sigh..

Edit: WAIT 5-10 full minutes to show the update is even started! Don't be impatient, my USB was fine!

Last edited:
Not sure why USB won't detect, it's formatted as exFAT, empty with just the files copied over... It's a SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 128GB... Are there some USB's that just don't work? I plug it in with car running like the directions say and nothing happens.. I'm only even trying this way since I'm parked in my garage where I have WiFi, I connect to it and run a "scan for updates" and it sits and spins forever trying to do it over WiFi... sigh..
You're better off using fat32. Which version do you currently have? Nav or non? If the latter, you may run into the mem_003 issue.

DEss

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You're better off using fat32. Which version do you currently have? Nav or non? If the latter, you may run into the mem_003 issue.

DEss
My PC doesn't offer Fat32, and ya, non-nav so not sure what to do next.

Edit: Found the 3.0.18025 file, trying to update straight from 2.2 from July, we'll see if it installs correctly or I have to mess with the init file...

For anyone still looking through all these, keep going. 2 posts below I posted the fix. :)

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Finally got it to 3.0.18025, automatically reported it to Ford, but I have no Android Auto, UGH... Tried all kinds of different resets, the option simply doesn't exist on my screen... Any ideas? I'm pretty pissed...

Nevermind: I'm just enough of a computer nerd to know basic command line stuff, see my next post. :)

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
On a windows computer, since the 18025 build is different from the last, I modified a prior init, created a “syncmyride” folder, stuck the apps.tar.gz in it and ended up I believe with the init file and the SyncMyRide folder with the tar.gz inside. It updated like anything else when plugged into the usb.

People are skittish to post links to the builds, but fords own site is hosting this file. If they didn’t want people to DL it, then they should not host the build publicly.
I have a '17 non-nav, so I finally ended up using a combo of 3 updates (3.0.17276, .18025 and the ford supplied 2.3 files) to get 'er done.

I know I'm responding to a specific post but for those that don't have them, you'll have to look around for the links to actual downloadable 3.0 Beta files through the FocusRS and Mustang boards mentioned earlier, they are definitely not Ford approved and technically are not supposed to be posted any longer.

EDIT: If you need a complete file ready to install just PM me and I can share my Google link to it.... if you are the DIY type then keep reading. :)

Since it's been established that 3.0.17276 is a full upgrade package, I used it's "autoinstall" file as my starting guide. It has 6 lines of commands to install 6 files, so I simply found the best/newest matching file for each command to install:
1. For the "SyncMyRide" folder, I actually used the base 4 files from 2.3 This is the official update Ford provided me through their website. It includes the latest versions of the 4 base files, dated 1/5/18. Could be nothing but used them anyway I'm only a partial computer nerd, so didn't dig deep to find out if it mattered at all
2. Copied over the newest big files: JR3T-14G391-BD.tar from 17276 (main software) and JR3T-14G381-AL.tar from 18025 (app update).
3. Changed that 17276 autoinstall file to as such below.
(no space here, very top line starts below, just open your "autoinstall" in Notepad and copy/paste this (as plain text, bold below is just to emphasize which file name to put in the SyncMyRide folder) over everything and have the 6 highlighted .tar files in your SyncMyRide folder)
; Gen 3 - Assembly Update - NonNav/NEU - 18025

[SYNCGen3.0_3.0.18025_PRODUCT]
Item1 = HB5T-14G386-TBB
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TBB.tar.gz
Item2 = GB5T-14G386-SC
Open2 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-SC.tar.gz
Item3 = JR3T-14G391-BD
Open3 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G391-BD.tar.gz
Options = AutoInstall

; 2nd half
[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = JL7T-14G423-BA
Open1 = SyncMyRide\JL7T-14G423-BA.tar.gz
Item2 = JR3T-14G381-AL
Open2 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G381-AL.tar.gz
Item3 = GB5T-14G386-AA
Open3 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-AA.tar.gz
Options = AutoInstall,Delay,Include,Transaction
(no space here, last line above is end of file)

So I used the latest files from 3 different upgrades and named it based off the latest one's name... For those curious the .gz just tell it to unzip and install. This is confirmed to work on '16-'17 non-nav.

Install:

1. Get in, but don't start car, just have ignition ON. Perform hard reset, then once rebooted disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
2. Start car now to be safe. Insert USB as configured above. BE PATIENT, it will take 5 minutes or so to even tell you it's started updating, preferably just go for a drive, otherwise rev it up a bit every 30 secs to get oil up to your upper valvetrain and just play on your phone or whatever.
3. After about 10 more minutes it will tell you the first part is done and to cycle the ignition, DON'T do anything. Just keep USB drive in, let it reboot on it's own and again wait. It will also take maybe 5 mins to say it's updating.
4. Once it says it has completed, it will say you can pull the USB key and changes will apply next (you may start getting WiFi messages too, you can close those), but to be safe, wait a minute, then pull USB and click OK.
5. Turn off car, open door and close it, wait 10 secs and start car again, you should be good to go with message saying you are updated and details will say to version 3.0.18025.

I restored my Android Auto this way too after previous botched installs. Hopefully gives you the best of all worlds as far as performance as well, I'll update if I have any problems.

Last edited: