Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Updated: Mishimoto Dyno Results - 310whp / 323wtq on a stock 2016 Focus RS

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
He ran WHAT vs FoRS to let-off? A FiST I presume? Modified? From a roll I would ahve to guess.

This may be a perfect illustration why we don't REALLY need an AWD Fiesta (RS). You add weight and driveline loss, and would have to drop the heavier 2L ecoboost in to make it back up to the P/W, also loosing fuel economy and adding maintenance complexity. Also destroys the nimble, fun, light on its feet feeling.
Racing from a roll is much different than racing at a track or drag racing. Awd would benefit 60' times and grip on the course over fwd.

Basically what I'm saying is, if someone raced a RS from a roll.. What does that mean? Roll racing is lame and tells you almost nothing of how a car performs except maybe 20-100mph time

Or could it be that the Golf R numbers were underrated? I believe GTI numbers for the MK6's were near the 200 WHP, which means that the quoted 200 Crank HP from factory was actually underrated.

Yet the Golf R claims 292 HP, has AWD, and puts that number to the ground. Average WHP for the MK7R is high 290's, low 300's on a dynojet. I think it's just a fact that without the overboost function, these are the numbers you will get.

I've seen a couple videos of a RS and FiST on a track neck and neck and the FiST was pulling on the straights and RS was catching back up on braking/corner entry could be driver obviously but FiST weight really seemed to be shining, can't wait till tracks around here open up when our crazy summer heat is over.

Roll racing allows a not so great driver to be on the same par as the better driver, as it does not take much talents to do "Pedal to the Metal", unless the bad driver can't shift well either?

Racing from a roll is much different than racing at a track or drag racing. Awd would benefit 60' times and grip on the course over fwd.

Basically what I'm saying is, if someone raced a RS from a roll.. What does that mean? Roll racing is lame and tells you almost nothing of how a car performs except maybe 20-100mph time

Well said. IMO, the relative lightness of the FiST makes it that much more enjoyable to drive then other more powerful and heavier cars. The TTS I have would destroy my FiST, hands down, but at 3400 lbs it does not feel as nimble as the FiST. Comparing my FiST to my GTI, the FiST is definitely more fun to drive and more nimble, but not as refined.

This may be a perfect illustration why we don't REALLY need an AWD Fiesta (RS). You add weight and driveline loss, and would have to drop the heavier 2L ecoboost in to make it back up to the P/W, also loosing fuel economy and adding maintenance complexity. Also destroys the nimble, fun, light on its feet feeling.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
For what it's worth, I'm not saying that the Fiesta ST is better than the RS because a lightly modified one kept up with it from a roll. I'm simply pointing out that our car is still plenty impressive and frankly, quite underrated.

For what it's worth, I'm not saying that the Fiesta ST is better than the RS because a lightly modified one kept up with it from a roll. I'm simply pointing out that our car is still plenty impressive and frankly, quite underrated.
That and foci look like overweight blobs

After reading on how a FiST can compete on a handling course with a RS really makes me feel like I made a great decision on getting this car. Our cars are definitely underrated, that's for sure.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
The guy that raced the RS was a FoST owner, not a FiST owner. Either way, it's been covered many times that the 250 whp number is without overboost and that with overboost the RS is putting down >290 whp. Just like all of the other EB platforms, FiST included, overboost limits will be the first thing removed with tuning.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I'm pretty sure he said he had a FiST. But either way, I agree that these will be a totally different animal with a tune.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I ran my stock FiST against my stock FoST and there was no way it would stick with it all the way to 100. Modified it probably would come closer, but even at 250 whp (not factoring in any overboost) the FoRS is making more than enough power to pull the additional 300 pounds (and then some) over a stock FoST.

This is really no different than when the recent ST models were being introduced and everyone that didn't own them were trying to play them down (or any other preceding model year changes, for that matter) or attempt to exploit any perceived weaknesses. The RS, when available, has always outperformed the lower trims, hence the reason it wears the RS badge. After a few months to a year's worth of them being on the street, these conversations will all be Veloster-esque.

Interesting as I read a recent three way comparison between the new Focus RS, Subaru WRX STI and the VW Golf R and it was about the same as the Subaru and VW in performance numbers which would lead you to believe it may not in fact be making 350 at the crank even with the over boost.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
There have already been numerous datalogs of 290+ whp showing that there's either 17% drivetrain loss on an awd platform or it's already making more than 350 hp at the crank on overboost.

It's additional boost, why would you not want that?

Calling it "additional boost" is just putting a positive spin on it. The other way to look at it is that they are limiting peak boost/power after the first 15-20 seconds to keep the car from overheating, sustaining premature wear/damage, etc.

However, it sounds like the RS should be in overboost most of the time you are WOT. From Forbes:

"But the overboost function on the Focus RS lasts 20 seconds, and if you shift or lift off the throttle and then reapply it, the timer resets again for another 20 seconds, says Ford spokesman Paul Seredynski. Thus, the overboost function is practically permanent, allowing for the Society of Automotive Engineers to officially rate the Focus RS?s 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine at 350 hp and 350 pound-feet of torque."

I think we will have to look elsewhere for an explanation for the disappointing dyno run.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Calling it "additional boost" is just putting a positive spin on it. The other way to look at it is that they are limiting peak boost/power after the first 15-20 seconds to keep the car from overheating, sustaining premature wear/damage, etc.

However, it sounds like the RS should be in overboost most of the time you are WOT. From Forbes:

"But the overboost function on the Focus RS lasts 20 seconds, and if you shift or lift off the throttle and then reapply it, the timer resets again for another 20 seconds, says Ford spokesman Paul Seredynski. Thus, the overboost function is practically permanent, allowing for the Society of Automotive Engineers to officially rate the Focus RS?s 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine at 350 hp and 350 pound-feet of torque."

I think we will have to look elsewhere for an explanation for the disappointing dyno run.
The disappointing runs were logged on the same cars that had logged the 'good' runs, at least from other dyno operators that logged the same power output discrepancies. It was definitely attributed to overboost after looking at the information logged. Why it didn't hit overboost is still being questioned but everyone knows that, just like all of the other EB platforms, overboost limitations will be the first thing removed once tuning is available.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I feel like "Overboost" is a way of giving consumers that quick jolt of power, while protecting the engine and drivetrain by giving it a time limit. And it's really only something an enthusiast would notice.

Lets be honest, to the average person 20 seconds is a long time to have the gas pedal pegged to the floor.