Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Upgraded Transmission

It looks like the transmission in the Fiesta ST is going to be the weak link especially for those that track the car. Is anyone aware of an upgraded transmission or an improved internal gear set to hopefully avoid future issues? The only transmission I can located is a sequential gear box.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I believe that the R2 Sadev unit is about the only upgrade, but then the car becomes all but 'UN-streetable', even if you can adapt it for our powertrain, given the 'on-off switch' clutch and total impossibility of driving it in stop and go traffic, gear clang, and requisite rebuilds every 5K-10K miles of use.

I would check with the Brit/Euro aftermarket companies about hardened, heat treated, etc. internals for our B6 boxes though. [wink]

Last edited:
OP
J
Thread Starter #8
Thought I've heard the FiST trans is pretty stout all things considering
I almost wonder if they changed something along the lines.

I had my first trans fail taking out 4th before damaging the rest, brand new trans had a bad 4th gear again, rebuilt looks like its on its way out with bad 3rd gear engagement and other issues. I also know of other Fiestas with similar transmission failures.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I almost wonder if they changed something along the lines.

I had my first trans fail taking out 4th before damaging the rest, brand new trans had a bad 4th gear again, rebuilt looks like its on its way out with bad 3rd gear engagement and other issues. I also know of other Fiestas with similar transmission failures.
Model year?

Miles at very first failure?

Sam4

I had the input shaft bearings dump just prior to warranty expiration - Ford tried to skate on me and 13 weeks of parts back orders!. Got it repaired under warranty, but now 3rd and 5th like to pop out of gear once and a while (trying to figure the exact conditions) - downshifting and slow RPM drop from speed seems to do it.
Stout - no. Maybe joe biden will give me a clarke's tranny!

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I had the input shaft bearings dump just prior to warranty expiration - Ford tried to skate on me and 13 weeks of parts back orders!. Got it repaired under warranty, but now 3rd and 5th like to pop out of gear once and a while (trying to figure the exact conditions) - downshifting and slow RPM drop from speed seems to do it.
Stout - no. Maybe joe biden will give me a clarke's tranny!
Got to think of the majority.

I'm sure there are issues just like with anything else. But the majority have been stout

OP
J
Thread Starter #14
Just make sure the Fluid is @ 2L* But we have traveled down this rabbit hole before ....Just to let the OP know!
On a factory fill you would assume they would have the correct amount in there.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
On a factory fill you would assume they would have the correct amount in there.
NOPE* they under filled them at 1.6L and discovered it was causing failures. My Replacement Trans. @ ferd came with 2L instead of 1.6L like it did from El Factory.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
J
Thread Starter #16
NOPE* they under filled them at 1.6L and discovered it was causing failures. My Replacement Trans. @ ferd came with 2L instead of 1.6L like it did from El Factory.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Even the brand new trans last fall was DOA. 4th gear was destroyed on the first test drive.

haste

1000 Post Club
I have also read that over 300 lb ft of torque can hurt these transmissions. try to keep it under that.

mine shit the bed at 12kish, whined since day one. Ford fixed it under warranty but I dont have a lot of confidence in these trannies

Making 370whp and around 380 ft lb with an S280 & Aux fuel @ 35 PSI, I beat the piss out of it everyday and I've never had a single trans problem, I think it may be down to manufacturing rather than the trans being weak. Other than the input shaft thing and low fluid levels, I've never heard of too many issues with the trans.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Making 370whp and around 380 ft lb with an S280 & Aux fuel @ 35 PSI, I beat the piss out of it everyday and I've never had a single trans problem, I think it may be down to manufacturing rather than the trans being weak. Other than the input shaft thing and low fluid levels, I've never heard of too many issues with the trans.
Any videos to share of your setup?