Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Water leaking into interior

The continuing saga of Maxpowa's ST:

I washed my car today and when I opened the back hatch, I noticed water dripping down the left rear C-pillar. I felt the headliner, near the c-pillar, and sure enough it was damp to the touch. The dampness continued forward toward the top of the rear left door. The dampness stops before the headliner reaches the rear door, so I don't think it's that door's seal. Could it be the rear hatch's seal? I can't figure out where else water can come in from that area.

Any info/experience with this would be appreciated. I'll be making an appointment with the dealer first thing Monday.

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #3
Yes, I do. I pulled the c-pillar panel and saw a rubber hose running down where the water was located. Is that the drain hose for the sunroof?

I don't really know to be honest but when I was researching the car I came across a couple of threads stating a moonroof leak. Check under your carpets for any water or dampness. It could definitely be a clogged drain hole for the moonroof, but I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you anything else since I just got my 2016 and it doesn't have a moonroof :( - At this point, good would be your best bet until someone with similar issues reply to this.

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. I'll keep investigating. I have a feeling it's the sunroof hose. I don't know how else water could have gotten that far into the interior/headliner.

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #7
I tested the sun-roof theory. Took of the C-pillar panel and poured water down the sunroof channels (at least 3 cups of water). It drained well and I saw no signs of leakage at the rear drain hose. Back to square one. I'll monitor the situation next time I wash the car. I posted to see if anyone else had any similar experiences.

Your water leak problem is the wiring grommets at the top of the hatch opening. They are very flexible and easy to dislodge the seal.

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #9
Your water leak problem is the wiring grommets at the top of the hatch opening. They are very flexible and easy to dislodge the seal.
Thanks, I'll inspect that as well.

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #11
Update:

Took vehicle to dealership and they replicated the problem. Car was sent out to a glass shop for "specialty" work. Glass shop could not replicate problem. Car was sent back to dealership where further testing was done. Dealership could not replicate problem. Very odd, but the service adviser I was working with was equally as frustrated and concerned as I was.

Here's what I think is going on: The sunroof leaks so much that the drains are overwhelmed and can't keep up. The car wash area I have is slightly uphill, and I think the water collects and overwhelms the rear drains (I usually point the car nose-up). The water then overflows the drainage channels and leaks into the headliner.

The service adviser did ask if the wash area was on an incline, but I honestly don't think it should matter. The sunroof shouldn't leak that much in the first place to allow the drains to be overwhelmed. What am I supposed to do, park my car on even ground anytime it's outside in case it rains? FORD SERVICE, figure this out.

Is there a way I can add weatherstripping to the sunroof area to help improve the seal? They make small foam inserts that we use for home-applications. Lame, I know. The dealer will probably use this as a reason to void further warranty claims though, right? Haha.

Take away: DON'T GET THE SUNROOF!!!!!