Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Which turbo gives best bang for the buck?

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Where is all this power happening in the powerband? I made 293tq on the stock turbo but it happened for a moment and could not be sustained. Numbers happen all the time but where and how long says so much.
all sheets are posted in my section and right on the site

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Where is all this power happening in the powerband? I made 293tq on the stock turbo but it happened for a moment and could not be sustained. Numbers happen all the time but where and how long says so much.
well the car also goes 11.8 at 117mph with tons of backup passes so it must be making some decent power

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Here is one.....Whoosh's Intimidator Track spec Turbo ...ill take the gift card whenever I need some stuff.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The

The MRX turbo is the "ST line" of the Fiesta ST turbo world.
That's really stretching the Truth man....I think the Revo RT330 is the ST line of Turbos ....Have you ever ridden in a vehicle that is running an MRX? When setup properly they are a great reliable Turbo....are you still running the Stock snail?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The MRX turbo is the "ST line" of the Fiesta ST turbo world.
It's not like Mountune would have done a hybrid and, at the time the MRX was being finished up, Garrett pulled the rug out by releasing the GTX Gen 2 series. I just finished reading most of the thread about the MRX and, in 2017, people were really happy with it. Now, it's kinda awkwardly positioned as a more expensive, slower spooling, similar power option to Ron's hybrid and maybe the X-47 (non-R) or a similarly priced, similarly spooling, lower power option to the GTX2860R Gen 2. I understand the reasons for a hybrid and for the GTX2860; I don't understand why someone would go w/ an MRX. If you're concerned with the reliability of a hybrid or want big power, go w/ a GTX2860R Gen 2. If you're looking for a kick in the ass without having to buy aux. fuel, go with the hybrid.

With the S280 and X-57 flavors coming on board my guess is that the last MRXs are being sold right now.

With all that said, I would have leaned toward a used MRX over the X-47R that I bought (for a great price) as a first turbo upgrade if I could have found one. But, with either, I always knew that I was going to end up on a new S280, X-57 of some sort, or GTX2860R Gen 2 for the long haul. No way would I have spend GTX money on an MRX.

Last edited:
That's really stretching the Truth man....I think the Revo RT330 is the ST line of Turbos ....Have you ever ridden in a vehicle that is running an MRX? When setup properly they are a great reliable Turbo....are you still running the Stock snail?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
X47R, E50, throttle body aux fuel, ported manifold, forged pistons and rods.

The MRX has the same peak hp capability as the hybrids (~320whp with ethanol and aux fuel) but has way more lag. I believe it's laggier than the gen2 2860r and spools a little quicker than the gen2 2867r.

When you factor in area under the curve or average torque north of 2.2K rpm, it doesn't compare well to the hybrid solution.

In summary it's not a bad turbo, it just doesn't make sense compared to the competition.

Update:
I am looking to upgrade the turbo so I can make closer to 375whp (S280, Gen 2 2860r & 2867R); so I am not beholden to the X47R

Last edited: